Thread: Lock-Ring Barrels

Default Lock-Ring Barrels

Where can I buy some lock-ring barrels that are preferably water tight and clean? I want to store some non-perishable food items out at my property for this summer when my family and I go and build our cabin. Thanks.

Unitech in Anchorage sells them. But, you might not like the price. I've seen them used on Craigslist but you'd want to be picky if you are going to store food in them.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Unitech in Anchorage sells them. But, you might not like the price. I've seen them used on Craigslist but you'd want to be picky if you are going to store food in them.
    Thanks. I'll look them up.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/5395266237.html

Did a search on '55 drum' and saw these.

Tink, Those look like plastic not good idea for any kind of storage out in the bush. Things with big teeth and claws love any thing plastic.

I second that. Do not use plastic barrels to store food if you are trying to keep critters out.

I got some "grease drums" from the Sourdough fuel depot in Fairbanks this winter. Going rate is $25/per, but they were about to have to pay to have a tractor trailer load of empties hauled away, so I got for for free.

Lock ring top, check. Metal 55 gallon drum, check.

From the factory they shipped with the grease in a plastic bag inside the drum. A LITTLE bit of grease on them, but not too bad. Ten minutes with a scraper, and then a trip to the spray gun car wash in above freezing temps, good to go for packaged food storage I think.

It was a bit more trouble to get them degreased at -10dF, but the price was right.

Agree on the plastic barrels. Despite the title on that CL ad, they show some metal barrels too. Er, drums. Barrels for liquids, drums for stuff.

Edit: taking a second look at that CL ad it may be a plastic drum with a steel lid. Dunno, might be worth a call.

Inlet Petroleum in Anchorage, down in the port, usually has lock ring grease barrels for sale. The grease comes in a big plastic bag inside them, so they are usually really clean inside.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I work at Inlet Petro/Delta Western in ANC. Pm me for details.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Tink, Those look like plastic not good idea for any kind of storage out in the bush. Things with big teeth and claws love any thing plastic.
    I've had a heavy plastic, purpose-made container out in the bush for years. I store food in that container (about the size of a garbage can) through the year and its cabled to a tree at ground level.

The thing has been chewed on by both wolves and grizzly bears and so far they have not been able to break or penetrate the container in any way.

I got it for free from our local wildlife office. I can't tell you who makes them, but an internet search for "bear-proof container" will probably bring something up.

FYI - I found lock-ring barrels at a reasonable cost at a place in Wasilla called Air Liquid. The drums that I bought to store gas in had to be petroleum rated so I ended up buying them at Crowley in Palmer. The gas barrels were a little pricey, but I think they will work good. I just hope the temperature change will not cause damage to them. I will bring them out to my property in the next couple weeks and they will stay there until June so they might undergo some extreme temperature changes.

Jack , Some locking ring barrels just came back on C/L for $20.00 in Wasilla. They were on there before but disappered for a while. 355-4309.