Thread: Last Minute Recommendations - Anch Area

Default Last Minute Recommendations - Anch Area

We'd like to do a little evening fishing tonight (Saturday). Me, my wife and young kids. No boat, just waders. Would like to stay in the Anchorage area, and heavy combat fishing might not be the best idea because of the kiddos. Looking for recommendations for good catch and keep fishing, something from the bank or shore. Something in the Anchorage area. Any ideas?

Delong lake, and jewel lake can be alot of fun with kids
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm nervous about a catch and keep fish from the city though. Ship Creek for some reason sits fine with me, but is it really ok to eat something that comes out of a creek in the city proper?

Im not a big trout or salmon eater just fisherman. I see plenty of folks keep the fish out of the lakes here. Most are stocked by ADF&G. If I was gonna eat trout i would not hesitate to eat one out of out local lakes. Id prefer it to fish bought from the store.

Again plenty of people eat kings and silvers out of ship creek. I usually keep my silvers from there as others in my family love salmon and we have never had any problems.. Just my thoughts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Why not keep the salmon out of Ship Creek? They've only been in there for anywhere from hours to maybe a few days. They've spent almost their entire life in the ocean, like all the other anadromous fish in Alaska. And once they hit the fresh water, they aren't eating anything anyway. What possible source of pollution is going to ruin the fish? If you are concerned, just bleed 'em at the creek and do the filleting at home. Believe me, the kings & silvers at Ship are about as chromer of a fish as you'll get unless you fish it late in the run. Fresh from the salt and absolutely delicious just about anyway you can serve it up.

The stockers that F&G put in the lakes this year aren't anything to write home about and you'll have to look hard in the frying pan to see them. Tiny, tiny trout - about 4 to 5 inches long.

Campbell creek is a good spot for trout and there is alot of good spots to go in at so if one spot is not good head up the road and try again . there is not very much pressure and you should be able to hook a few trout

Good luck

ToDD
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

I am definately not dogging on Ship Creek - like I said, that one never has bothered me, not sure why. Maybe that's why - because it's fresh running. Some of the stocked lakes I guess give me the heebie jeebies. Even some of the creeks. I work in a building that butts up against a section of Campbell Creek, and it's one of the nastiest areas I have ever seen.