Thread: DB470 Brown Bear Chugach Pk/Peter Creek

Default DB470 Brown Bear Chugach Pk/Peter Creek

My daughter drew a bear tag for Chugach Park/Peter Creek area. Her goal is to shoot a brown bear before she heads to college January 2017. Years ago I drew an archery sheep DS140 and we took horses into Bird Creek pass area and we saw bears everywhere. I hoping to avoid chartering horses this time. We have atv's and are not afraid to work for a decent bear. I did search the forum for past information and it seems like most suggested focusing on the Bird Creek area. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

I may be wrong but I think the peters creek valley is a no atv area. Shouldn't have a problem finding bears back in their though.

Thanks. I will do some hiking back there this summer trying to get a lay of the land.

You can only take an ATV to the first creek crossing up the bird creek trail. I have seen some 'bars in there, but most of them were sows with cubs. It is a pretty easy hike up to the top - about 8 or so miles if I remember right. You can also take a bicycle up to that same creek crossing and then hike. It makes for a faster return trip (and a much sorer arse).

Default Easy Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    My daughter drew a bear tag for Chugach Park/Peter Creek area. Her goal is to shoot a brown bear before she heads to college January 2017. Years ago I drew an archery sheep DS140 and we took horses into Bird Creek pass area and we saw bears everywhere. I hoping to avoid chartering horses this time. We have atv's and are not afraid to work for a decent bear. I did search the forum for past information and it seems like most suggested focusing on the Bird Creek area. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hike in through any trail head when the Moose draw hunt is going on, the bears will be eating the kills. Or hike in from Bird far end is where they bed or den for the winter, please please kill one or three for me, have put in for years and never have drawn a tag. Kill one for me.

After weeks and weeks of hunting we had only seen one brown bear in the Peters Creek drainage. When we went to Bird to switch it up a little bit we saw plenty of bear sign...but were unable to connect. Pretty tough hunt IMO

I have a cow tag for peters creek this fall and i'll be in there towards the middle to end of September. Shoot me an email the first week of September and I will email you when I get a moose. The gut pile will be all yours to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bbjones View Post
    I have a cow tag for peters creek this fall and i'll be in there towards the middle to end of September. Shoot me an email the first week of September and I will email you when I get a moose. The gut pile will be all yours to watch.
    Thanks bbjones! I will contact you the first part of September. Sitting a gut pile sounds like the way to go. I appreciate the help.

Rod

Don't overlook following a moose hunter into the Ship Creek area as well. I saw a really nice bear on a previous moose kill there, but no bear tag. During the time spent there I saw bears every day but they were mostly sows all with a single cub. There is a nice high berry hill on the north side of Ship Creek before the confluence of the two forks that would be closest to the south eagle river access point and I saw one single brown bear there. Its not a very good area for spot and stalk because the valley is thick and the big boars are smart and I think mostly nocturnal. Nice fresh moose meat is about the only thing that I think brings the big boys out in daylight.

That is a great spot 33outdoorsman and your right it is thick in there. Last September I shot a little bull about 100 yards down hill from that high trail that goes out of the arctic valley ski parking lot. A guy I met up there shot a nice little bull close to that high trail too the following week. Rod123 the ship creek any bull tag is not very fabulous when it comes time to pack the meat out and its nice to have people to help, the lower trail can be horrible muddy. If you could find another thread with someone who has a ship creek any bull tag and no body to help pack the meat out you could barter to carry out a pack load of meat in exchange for the kill site. It's thick enough down there that you probably wont find a day old kill sight on your own and would give yourself an extra gut pile to watch besides my potential one.

Any reports on bears for the DB470 Peters Creek/Chugach Park area. My daughter drew a tag and hopes to score one before she heads yo college this December. Any information would be appreciated. I plan on calling the F&g biologist in the morning.
    Thanks not in advance.

They're still there..

If that tag includes the Ekultna area you may want to consider coming out this way. Seems the fire from this summer pushed a few BB's this way. It has been a lot of years since we had Brown Bears in the neighborhood.

Default DB470 Chugach Park - update Brown Bear

DB470 Report. We didn't get out this fall because my daughter was recovering from back surgery. We did hike up Bird Creek ridge today and when we got up high we were weathered out. My daughter just has a short break from college and we have a small window. Any reports of brown bears DB470 - Bird Creek, Indian Creek, sheep Creek, Eagle River, Raven Creek, Peter Creek and etc would be appreciated. We are hoping to help the moose population out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Day two of the brown bear hunt with Mikayla. Spotted a huge bear way up on the mountain at Bird ridge. Hiked up 2000 ft elevation and two mile through alders only to find out the bear was hiding. Lots of scat and other sign just no bear. Score Bears 1-0. I told My daughter we needed to go back in the morning. I don't think she wants to climb that mountain again.

I know Rod and Mikayla. Awesome people. If anyone can help it would be great. Unfortunately I am back in NY working on my deer property.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I know I saw a big black bear almost at the top of bird ridge last year, it got dark on me too fast. Climbing up through the woods was not an easy climb. That's all I got, sorry!

Fwiw I just back from 4 days of hiking around peters creek, only saw one black bear on the way in.