Thread: Zachar Bay Brown Bear DB249

Default Zachar Bay Brown Bear DB249

I drew the DB249 Zachar Bay brown bear hunt for spring 2017. I am looking for any helpful information related to this hunt and timeframe to hunt this area. I am looking to see if it is best to hunt the area along the coast or if hunting the River drainage is better. When is the best timeframe to hunt? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy7b14 View Post
    I drew the DB249 Zachar Bay brown bear hunt for spring 2017. I am looking for any helpful information related to this hunt and timeframe to hunt this area. I am looking to see if it is best to hunt the area along the coast or if hunting the River drainage is better. When is the best timeframe to hunt? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    What? You didn't research first?
    I know nothing of your area but while planning a bear hunt, I've discovered that spring season is best time for coastal hunting and during salmon runs might be best time for river area. Of course I could be wrong.

Jimmy,

I haven't hunted Zachar Bay but have been around the corner from there in Uyak Bay several times on spring bear. In normal years, the first week of May seems to have been the best time for spotting the most bear. The last time I went was 2014 and the spring was early. Hunted for the week in mostly shirt sleeves because of the early spring. Saw lots of bears and finally got one on the last day before heading back to town.

Randy

Randy,
    did you hunt the db246? I pulled that for next spring and I am researching it and if you have any info that would help me it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking to see if there are any public cabins to rent.....I have looked online but I can't find anything in that area.
    Thanks, Josh

Josh,

Sorry. Spent all my time in DB247 and DB248.

Randy

Bullwinkle,

would you care to elaborate on what made you successful? Maybe key points through your experiences on spring bear hunting on the island. Tips on glassing, type of camp, food, clothing, transporters, etc? Any info would be great.

Default Call This Guy

Call Kyle at Kingfisher Air. Period.

First two weeks of may,,,,real thick alders,,bring an inflatable,,,,,we used Steve Harvey,he had a widgeon at the time

Thanks everyone for the helpful information so far. I am now looking into which air taxi to use on the island, and I've heard that Roland at Seahawk is highly recommended over Andrews or any of the others. What do others think and recommend when deciding which air taxi to use?

I am thinking of cancelling this hunt next spring as some things have come up that make this hunt a challenge to plan and execute. I feel horrible for wasting a permit space, but what is the process for notifying ADF&G of my cancellation? I would like to see this permit reissued to someone who would use it. Sorry hunters, I feel bad for this but things happen in life.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy7b14 View Post
    I am thinking of cancelling this hunt next spring as some things have come up that make this hunt a challenge to plan and execute. I feel horrible for wasting a permit space, but what is the process for notifying ADF&G of my cancellation? I would like to see this permit reissued to someone who would use it. Sorry hunters, I feel bad for this but things happen in life.
    Don't worry about....it happens all the time (by people a lot less caring than you). Sure sorry that you can't make it happen though. Life does happen for sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!