Thread: What Brand of E-Pirb

Question What Brand of E-Pirb

I'm looking at buying an E-Pirb for my boat this year, so I was wondering what brand of E-Pirb most offshore boaters on this forum are using? I don't remember if it was a specific brand, but I seem to recall that some units were fond of tripping false alarms or not working when needed. Are there any particular brands to avoid, are any more reliable than others, are any just a flat out POS, etc? Thanks in advance......
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

We have an ACR Global fix, can't remember the model number but could dig it up if you relly want it. Mounted it to the wall by the door out of the cabin with velcro. All I have to do is grab it and pull on the way out the door. Test GPS and batteries once a year. Probably should test soon as I have had it for a while and probably going to need batteries soon.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the info. On ACR's website it looks like there are two basic models of the Global fix - one is automatic or manual triggering, the other one you manually have to pull the trigger to send a signal.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Dewy i have a ACR also, i think its the manual model.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Mine activates if it hits the water or I can pull the trigger on it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    I'm looking at buying an E-Pirb for my boat this year, so I was wondering what brand of E-Pirb most offshore boaters on this forum are using? I don't remember if it was a specific brand, but I seem to recall that some units were fond of tripping false alarms or not working when needed. Are there any particular brands to avoid, are any more reliable than others, are any just a flat out POS, etc? Thanks in advance......
    I would MAKE SURE to get one with the new 7 year battery. Basically cutting the cost in half over a 10 year lifespan. The new ACR also has a user replaceable battery. I don't have one yet (when my current battery expires), but it seems like this feature alone is worth the price.
    https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca...Z******r7.dpbs

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Steve I'm kinda leaning towards buying the manual one & keeping it in my ditch bag.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Also have the manual ACR, portable so it goes everywhere, year round.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Steve I'm kinda leaning towards buying the manual one & keeping it in my ditch bag.
    i take mine with me whenever i'm playing outside, small enough and you never know when the poop will hit the fan. I have it mounted in a shrimp pot wire holder right over the door on the cabin, i put a long looped bungee on it so i could just wrap it around my chest/waist on the way out that way i have 2 free hands. I fish by myself most of the time but i have 2 surival suits on the boat also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

ACR GlobalFix all the way. Stay away from McMurdo.

As far as Cat I or Cat II, thats up to you.

I have the ACR Aqua view plb that I put in the ditch bag.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

Thanks for the replies. I went with the new ACR 2831 Global Fix V4 E-Pirb: Manual activation, Cat 1 Cl 2, 7 yr battery that I can replace.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Thanks for the replies. I went with the new ACR 2831 Global Fix V4 E-Pirb: Manual activation, Cat 1 Cl 2, 7 yr battery that I can replace.
    job
    good

Been thinking of getting an EPIRB but already have a DeLormein Reach, not sure of any additional advantage to also having an EPIRB. The inReach has a proven track record of saving people all over the world with its SOS function, tracking and two way communications. We took our inReach to SE Asia, texted friends and family back in the states and felt confident that in an emergency the SOS function would provide help. It's also water proof and has a float cover.

With an EPIRB you hope itís working, with the inReach you get two-way communication so you know help is on the way.

Just my thoughts, maybe I'm missing something here.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

E-pirb has 100% recovery of the units after it is triggered, if its on you, then your recovered also. You may be expired but your unit and body will be recovered. Typically a govt agency is sent to recover the e-pirb victim at no cost to the user if an emergency event occurred, ie.....coast guard, troopers, army chopper. Although I know of one person who had to pay for a chopper ride after firing off the e-pirb as a private company picked them up off the mountain here in Ak.
    That is what the guys at Ak Safety explained when I was shopping a few years ago.

I can test my E-pirb for battery and function without triggering an event. Aso floats and water proof.

Good discussion........
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Default What Brand of E-Pirb

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Been thinking of getting an EPIRB but already have a DeLormein Reach, not sure of any additional advantage to also having an EPIRB. The inReach has a proven track record of saving people all over the world with its SOS function, tracking and two way communications. We took our inReach to SE Asia, texted friends and family back in the states and felt confident that in an emergency the SOS function would provide help. It's also water proof and has a float cover.

With an EPIRB you hope itís working, with the inReach you get two-way communication so you know help is on the way.

Just my thoughts, maybe I'm missing something here.
    I also just use inreach. Its also great way to stay contact with out there boats .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I also just use inreach. Its also great way to stay contact with out there boats .
    Also if you don't need the full Calvary coming out to you. It's a great option.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..