Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ds134

That is really cool.

Wow great "sheep hunt story" thanks for taking the time to share! Also beautiful chugach ram!

Ram appears to be 9 years old, maybe even 8 but not 12 or 13. Nice ram! I usually don't care for most shoulder mounts but must say that is a great job by your taxidermist. Who did the work?

He had been sick for a few years. What you can't see is the growth rings at the base. He has 3 stacked really tight at the bottom. He didn't do a lot of growing to to severe pneumonia. Julie at wildlife rugs and taxidermy in Wasilla did the work.

I believe it. It really is a great looking ram, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by William_jones5 View Post
    He had been sick for a few years. What you can't see is the growth rings at the base. He has 3 stacked really tight at the bottom. He didn't do a lot of growing to to severe pneumonia. Julie at wildlife rugs and taxidermy in Wasilla did the work.
    Looking at his shoulders and hinds, they do look like they lack the mass of a big healthy ram.
    Sure crazy about the one lung being absorbed by the body! Hard to say if he would have made it through another winter? Glad you were able to bring him home....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I checked him in at adfg in Anchorage, we showed them the pictures of the ram and the lung. The biologist said he was on his way out for sure and another winter would of ensured a slow cold death. I was greatful to take an animal that was suffering an agonizing death and to put him out of his misory. He was severely under weight and his cape was in bad shape. The cape on the shoulder mount was donated by a fellow hunter.

I'd like to see the pics of the bad lung if you don't mind. Those animals are tougher than a two dollar steak!

If you have time, it would be neat to see a side view of the horns showing the growth rings near his bases.
    ...and congrats on an awesome adventure!

You can't really see the bases due to the cape and hair covering them. I'm not about to mess with it out of fear of screwing the amazing taxidermy up.

Congratulations on the ram, he sure is a beauty! Out of curiosity, I pulled up the harvest stats on the ADF&G website. It looks like there was only one hunter/ram killed in DS134 for 2016, so I assume its yours.

Harvest stats reported on there were that he was 8 years old, with the long horn being 37 3/8" and the bases being 13 5/8". No matter the age, that's a nice ram! I love the dark horns and deep curls.

Thanks every one for the positive replies. As far as his age goes to me it didn't matter at the time. All that I really care about was that he was legal, I had a great adventure with a great friend and I took a sheep that needed to be taken. I'm not going to get any further into size and age. I realize he's no state record but he's a trophy in my eyes. I generally post things without pictures to avoid the conflicts of sizes and shape. My story is true down to the vomit. Steven, if that's what adfg wrote so be it. I was told that he was old and sick and he may be 12 to 13. I was told he'd been suffering for sometime. As a result his last few rings were pretty tight and some of the rings were hard to read. I'm no sheep expert and will probably never be. I enjoy the great outdoors and what it offers us. That is all.

Hey William, certainly wasn't trying to discredit or knock you down at all with my post. I believe there has been enough previous discussion about the variability of aging sheep by biologists that anything is possible. Just wanted to add another data point to the discussion.

Like I said, that's one beauty of a ram. If I had him in my sights it would make one bit of a difference whether he was 8 or 13 years old. Legal is legal and I'd be shooting! Congrats on a hard and successful hunt. Packing out a Chugach ram is still on my wish list!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Great Ram! I sure hope I can find something even close to that this fall.

What a story too! I felt like I was right there reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    Hey William, certainly wasn't trying to discredit or knock you down at all with my post. I believe there has been enough previous discussion about the variability of aging sheep by biologists that anything is possible. Just wanted to add another data point to the discussion.

Like I said, that's one beauty of a ram. If I had him in my sights it would make one bit of a difference whether he was 8 or 13 years old. Legal is legal and I'd be shooting! Congrats on a hard and successful hunt. Packing out a Chugach ram is still on my wish list!

It was supposed to say "wouldn't make one bit of a difference". Stupid phone.

Jones can you call me 907-250-0747 need to talk with you great story

Jones can you call me 907-250-0747 need to talk with you great story

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12