Thread: Trip report on the Rex Trail hunt, Sept 2015.

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

Default Trip report on the Rex Trail hunt, Sept 2015.

2015 was a little strange for trail conditions on the Rex or Gold King trail this year. We went in around the 10th with a Nodwell RN110, three people and a four wheeler in the back. We were headed for our normal camp at Fish Creek, about five miles past the second river.

The first place of interest is always getting around the end of Seven Mile Lake. This wasn't a worry this year. Some years I've had mud in the doors. There was one Honda four wheeler sitting there - I assumed it wasn't running because no one was around.

There wasn't a lot of deep mud this year. By deep I mean over my tracks, but there was a lot of steady mud, hole after hole. We did find some deep water holes, but they had solid bottoms in them. Actually saw very little traffic. One group of Argos was just a little past the new power line. They had give up on the mud and made camp there. The surprising thing was when we got to the first river crossing there was absolutely no one camped there and then after crossing the river there was no on on the other side camped either.

The river was deep at where the trail hits the river. When you bail off of the bank, it was a little over four feet deep because I had about 2" coming in one side of the cab and going out the other side. It wasn't a problem, just interesting. You always wonder if it's going to keep getting deeper??? It seems that I saw some four wheeler track on the other side, but they would have had to gone up river to cross. Only saw one side by side on the other side and he was being towed by a Hagland through the mud. The main problem with the second river for Nods is the far side where the river has cut some new channels. No deep water, just trying to get a Nod around driftwood trees and dirt banks - Nods aren't known for sharp turns.

There's one burn area that's always a pain. The rains washed out the main trail a couple of years ago. You can't take a Nod down the wash without strong odds of slipping a track. The wash was dry this year and the smaller rigs were going through it without a problem. The larger rigs have to go up on the left / north bank through a burn area. The only problem with it is at the end of it are a couple of large stumps that you need to back up and work your way around.

At the Horse Shoe Ponds there were several tent and a couple of Muskegs. I don't know if they had gotten anything.

Stopped at the 2nd river cabin. A Griz had been inside of it again. Someone has hauled my red picnic table across the road to the camp area there. It looks like I should build a new outhouse, but I seldom stay there anymore. Might have spent the night there before going on, but the Griz sure made a mess inside.

The 2nd river wasn't any problem, no one camped on either side.

After you get past the 2nd river, through the fire break, and across the second field, is the spot I don't like. There's a creek running on the far side that always gives me a problem, never been stuck in it, but it always worries me. This year I tried crossing it between the old and new trail. I went into it and as we came up the other side, we quit moving. The tracks were just spinning with the nose pointed in the air. It eventually grabbed and we climbed out of it.

Going from there to Fish Creek is never any trouble other than it's up hill in a lot of constant uphill mud holes. If you pay attention to your GPS, you gain more elevation than you think you do. Usually have to let Nod cool off a few times. It's never a problem when you leave because you're headed down hill.

Got back to Fish Creek and set up camp. It was nice for a day or two, then rained hard for three days so we sat under a tarp with a nice fire going. Right in front of the camp on the main trail, you can see evidence of water running down the trail there, but this is the first year I've actually seen it running while we were there.

Around day 7 or 8 after the rain, I called a bull in that we shot on the side of the trail. Hooked a chain on him to get him oriented the way we wanted, dropped out the 12' 4" x 12" planks and winched the moose up. You bring them in just until their head is starting into the bed. This leaves the stomach at a nice height to gut them without bending over. Of course we shot him right before dark. So we hauled him to back to camp and left him for the night. It was cold out and leaving him propped open on that cold steel bed, the meat was fine as usual. The next day we went to hang him on the hanging pole for skinning, but as I expected, the hanging pole broke. It's only been up there for 10 - 12 years. We put up a heavier one that should last at least that long again. Hung the moose, skinned him and quartered him.

Other than the bull we shot out in the trail going throuh the field right before camp, it was a nice quiet hunting trip. A Nod 240 came through, two Bombardier Muskegs, and a Hagland towing the side by side. By reading the trail, there was the Thiokol, one or two Haglands and I think a Nodwell 60 in further than us. No four wheelers or Argos came in that far under there own power that I know of.

A couple of hunters were dropped off up at the air strip about a mile further in from Fish Creek. Never heard any shots so I'll assume they didn't get anything. The day before we were leaving, we heard a couple of shots from down by the field at the 2nd river. When we went out there was a father and son camped in the fire break, the shots we had heard was them shooting a black bear. I think they had a four wheeler and Muskeg.

On the way out I don't think we saw anyone except a new group at the Horse Shoe Ponds. They had a Muskeg, an Argo and a four wheeler. They had just gotten there I believe. There still wasn't anyone camped at the first river. We had a couple of sandwiches and went on our way. It was a long trip out, we got to the highway in time to get a steak at Clear Sky.

Another successful hunt - didn't get stuck, didn't break down, and we got a moose.

Oh, and on an ending note, there was someone great macho hunter who stayed at the Fish Creek camp, probably last November. They went behind the camp where the toilet is and shot up the toilet paper can there full of holes. Great Alaska hunter. There's always a roll of dry toilet paper under the can - except this year because it was full of .22 holes. I'll have to take a new can in next year.

Bill

Any pictures of your time there?

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlayer96 View Post
    Any pictures of your time there?
    Yes, but I don't know how to post them yet. May give it a try tomorrow.