Thread: E. Afognak Elk DE 723

Default E. Afognak Elk DE 723

Anyone on here draw the DE 723 tag? Seeing if I can find someone else who drew it to possibly team up with. Also if anyone has an info on this hunt it would be greatly appreciated. Before I get the people saying search the forum I just spent the last few hours going through the 6 pages about hunting Afognak and did not find much useful information about the east side for Elk. I'm well aware of the bear issues as well and am already considering getting a bear fence to help mitigate that issue hopefully.

I hunted there years ago; out of the Pillar Cape area. There was a State cabin there on the lake. It was really nice to come home each night to a warm and dry area. I was hunting bear out there but seen sign of elk. Never ran into the Elk there though. Pretty thick area and lots of salmonberry brush. South across the bay from there; the native corp was doing a lot of logging. You might want to check out weather or not the Afognak Corp. will let you hunt in that area as I think it might be easier to hunt due to the amount of logging that happened out there years ago. Not sure if any of this helps but there is what I know.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I hunted there years ago; out of the Pillar Cape area. There was a State cabin there on the lake. It was really nice to come home each night to a warm and dry area. I was hunting bear out there but seen sign of elk. Never ran into the Elk there though. Pretty thick area and lots of salmonberry brush. South across the bay from there; the native corp was doing a lot of logging. You might want to check out weather or not the Afognak Corp. will let you hunt in that area as I think it might be easier to hunt due to the amount of logging that happened out there years ago. Not sure if any of this helps but there is what I know.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan, that does help. Any little information I can gather is extremely helpful.

Default E. Afognak Elk DE 723

Afognak Native Corp wasn't letting anybody elk hunt after October 21, 2014. Look on their website at their Map & Rates.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Afognak Native Corp wasn't letting anybody elk hunt after October 21, 2014. Look on their website at their Map & Rates.
    I've got that already, costing me $275 just to use their land. They don't allow Elk hunting after the draw season is over.

That's good information; I was wondering how they were going to handle that as I had heard they did not want anyone doing the Elk hunts there either.

Hunted Saposa bay last fall 11 days and never saw, smelled or heard an elk. A lot of logging going on in there, talked to some loggers and they hadn't seen an elk in months. The most sign we saw was in the old growth but hard to tell if it was 3 days old or 3 wks old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Hunted Saposa bay last fall 11 days and never saw, smelled or heard an elk. A lot of logging going on in there, talked to some loggers and they hadn't seen an elk in months. The most sign we saw was in the old growth but hard to tell if it was 3 days old or 3 wks old.
    I have heard that the loggers also get tags and they don't really like other people down there taking elk. They also have a head start since they know where the elk are and they can use vehicles. Once the season opens they hit them. Just something that was passed off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    I have heard that the loggers also get tags and they don't really like other people down there taking elk. They also have a head start since they know where the elk are and they can use vehicles. Once the season opens they hit them. Just something that was passed off to me.
    The loggers have to draw just like every one else. but they do know where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    My guess would just be that it looks that way because a higher percentage of the people applying for those permits are the loggers since they are there anyway. Usually, a good percentage of people applying for a permit will be those who live/work in the hunt area since it is convenient. I bet just about any loggers who are hunters put in for that permit while not a lot of "outsiders" put in due to it being more difficult/expensive to get there if you aren't going to be there for other reasons. I'm sure, just like most other places, the "locals" are not as excited about people from "outside" disrupting their local area. Nothing really new there and I wouldn't blame them.