Thread: Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Default Ruger GP100 Match Champion

I have been eyeballing these for some time. Today I was at a large gun show in DesMoines IA. I saw several of these ranging from $649-$699 and then in a small room off the main floor and old gentleman from Avoca Ia had some tables set up. In his glass case was one of the same for $530. I had to take it home with me. Haven't shot a 357 much in recent years but still have the molds and sizers and goodies to make them go bang. it's nice to make a trip to the range without spending half of the time there chasing brass.

This one has a 4 inch barrel and feels as nice in the hand as any revolver that I have ever owned!

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have been eyeballing these for some time. Today I was at a large gun show in DesMoines IA. I saw several of these ranging from $649-$699 and then in a small room off the main floor and old gentleman from Avoca Ia had some tables set up. In his glass case was one of the same for $530. I had to take it home with me. Haven't shot a 357 much in recent years but still have the molds and sizers and goodies to make them go bang. it's nice to make a trip to the range without spending half of the time there chasing brass.

This one has a 4 inch barrel and feels as nice in the hand as any revolver that I have ever owned!

Anyone have any experience with one of these?
    Have you got one of these?

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0316.html

Only 5 more .oz than your gp100 with the short barrel, and there is a short barrel version that only weighs 2 oz. more.

My 357 BH, 6.5" and Hogue grips is pleasant to shoot with max loads, 180 gr --15 gr Lil Gun.

Course it ain't no CC gun, but you could knock off Coyotes at ranges that far exceed what is possible with that gp 100.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Have you got one of these?

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0316.html

Only 5 more .oz than your gp100 with the short barrel, and there is a short barrel version that only weighs 2 oz. more.

My 357 BH, 6.5" and Hogue grips is pleasant to shoot with max loads, 180 gr --15 gr Lil Gun.

Course it ain't no CC gun, but you could knock off Coyotes at ranges that far exceed what is possible with that gp 100.

SOTN
    I got a couple of them in 44 magnoose. One is a 5.5 incher that Andy shortened from 7.5 and the tother one is 4 3/8ths or is it 5/8ths. I got a short Redhawk too. I got too many if there is such a thing.

The straw that broke the camel's back on going back to a 357 was the fact that the cheapest 22 shells available at the same gun show were 60 bucks a brick and that was for Thunder Bolts. I watched a man plunk down with tax just shy of $260 for 4 bricks. I bought 500 ea 125 grain hard cast .358 bullets for $32 and I'm well supplied with both Bullseye and primers.

I bought one last year that absolutely love. It's a sweet shooter with 38spl and very controllable even with heavy 357 loads. I ran mine through a defensive pistol shoot a while back and it preformed perfectly. Only issue I've had with it was fiber optic in the front site working it's way loose, couple drops of super glue and I was back in business.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ruger GP100 Match Champion
    Never owned one, but I've tuned a couple for DA shooting. And they tune well. Ruger has a very different DA pull than a Smith (longer, reminiscent of a Colt) with a little more stacking at the back end than a well-tuned Colt. But once you smooth and clean the action and likely apply a spring kit, you'll get used to it and shoot well in a big hurry.

I'm with you on chasing brass..... To the point that I can't abide any semi other than a rimfire. Just won't chase brass, and I hate losing the stuff after I've already paid a ransom for it.

BTW- In of the Ruger GP100 Match Champions that I've tuned, the most accurate load of all has turned out to be swaged 148 grain hollow-based wadcutters in 38 Special cases on top of a measly 1.7 grains of Bullseye or Winchester 231. Your pick, but the 231 meters much better. Doesn't seem to matter which small pistol primer I back it with, but the groups will bring tears to your eyes. And dot out the eyes of unsuspecting little innocent snowshoe hare!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Never owned one, but I've tuned a couple for DA shooting. And they tune well. Ruger has a very different DA pull than a Smith (longer, reminiscent of a Colt) with a little more stacking at the back end than a well-tuned Colt. But once you smooth and clean the action and likely apply a spring kit, you'll get used to it and shoot well in a big hurry.

I'm with you on chasing brass..... To the point that I can't abide any semi other than a rimfire. Just won't chase brass, and I hate losing the stuff after I've already paid a ransom for it.

BTW- In of the Ruger GP100 Match Champions that I've tuned, the most accurate load of all has turned out to be swaged 148 grain hollow-based wadcutters in 38 Special cases on top of a measly 1.7 grains of Bullseye or Winchester 231. Your pick, but the 231 meters much better. Doesn't seem to matter which small pistol primer I back it with, but the groups will bring tears to your eyes. And dot out the eyes of unsuspecting little innocent snowshoe hare!
    I think there are a couple thousand of those hollow base wadcutters in the room behind the old gun shop. I'm betting that I get them for a little or nothing. I may never shoot any hot loads in this gun. It looks like a good holster carrying woods gun, but not much for CC. I have enough CC guns and deer killing handguns. I was just wanting one to plink with yet I can always dress up the loads a bit if the need should arise.

I will finally be getting carpal tunnel surgery done on wednesday. The Dr.said it may be a while before I can shoot any 44 loads so 1.3 grains of Bullseye in 38 special may be just what the Dr ordered for the time being. I am going to set my Rock Chucker up in front of my lazy boy and set it up so that I can run the lever with my left hand. Not suppose to lift anything over 5 pounds with my right hand for the first week nor over 20 lbs for the following 3 weeks. I may get good at loading ammo with my left hand in the next month. Might even learn to shoot this GP100 left handed.

I will finally be getting carpal tunnel surgery done on wednesday. The Dr.said it may be a while before I can shoot any 44 loads so 1.3 grains of Bullseye in 38 special may be just what the Dr ordered for the time being. I am going to set my Rock Chucker up in front of my lazy boy and set it up so that I can run the lever with my left hand. Not suppose to lift anything over 5 pounds with my right hand for the first week nor over 20 lbs for the following 3 weeks. I may get good at loading ammo with my left hand in the next month. Might even learn to shoot this GP100 left handed.
    Good luck to you on the surgery, EKC:

I shall do some Left-Handed shooting in your honor.

With both my 44 and 357.

Also, with the APEX since it is Ambidextrous.

Be sure to post your progress, left handed if necessary.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Good luck to you on the surgery, EKC:

I shall do some Left-Handed shooting in your honor.

With both my 44 and 357.

Also, with the APEX since it is Ambidextrous.

Be sure to post your progress, left handed if necessary.

SOTN
    OK, I diddit. 6 rounds with 357& & 6 with the fordy four. Not fun, but doable.

The ONE SHOT with the APEX 45-70 was EXTREMELY Awkward. Couldn't get my eyeball behind the scope.

I hope you are honored. And, this was better than burning candles.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

OK, I diddit. 6 rounds with 357& & 6 with the fordy four. Not fun, but doable.

The ONE SHOT with the APEX 45-70 was EXTREMELY Awkward. Couldn't get my eyeball behind the scope.

I hope you are honored. And, this was better than burning candles.

SOTN
    Thanks Smitty, I had the surgery today and it wasn't so bad. I told them no thanks when he gave me a prescription for cocaine in a pill form. Besides I plan to load lots of ammo the next couple weeks and I want a clear head .

Thanks Smitty, I had the surgery today and it wasn't so bad. I told them no thanks when he gave me a prescription for cocaine in a pill form. Besides I plan to load lots of ammo the next couple weeks and I want a clear head .
    I've been missing my weekly shoots, and am badly out of practice. Tonight, I didn't do well at all.

I reckon I will load a lot of ammo too. However, I dunno if I can muster the "clear head".

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I'm not too good at reading but, I do like pictures!
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

EKC:

How's your Paw, by now?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.