Thread: The Big Chief and Cold Temperatures

Default The Big Chief and Cold Temperatures

I am just wondering if any of you had to modify your Big Chief in order to smoke fish during temps of -5 to 15 degrees? I am looking to smoke some trout this weekend and don't want to waste my time on a smoker that doesn't work well during the cold. I have seen those flimsy covers they make specifically for the smoker but am unsure if they will work.

Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer73 View Post
    I am just wondering if any of you had to modify your Big Chief in order to smoke fish during temps of -5 to 15 degrees? I am looking to smoke some trout this weekend and don't want to waste my time on a smoker that doesn't work well during the cold. I have seen those flimsy covers they make specifically for the smoker but am unsure if they will work.

Thanks
    Dont even bother.

I am not a fan of the Big Chiefs for fish smoking as they get to hot for the way I do fish. I have a "cold smoker" and heat is not really wanted by me as I am smoking and drying over the course of a few days.

There are endless ways to "smoke" fish. If all your doing is adding smoke flavor then as long as the chips burn you will get that no matter what the temperature. If your trying to "cook" the fish in in the Big Chief in cold temps it will definitely take longer. But, you can always finish it off in an oven.

Leaving the card board box on the Chief Smoker will raise inside temps a bunch. Just don't burn the place down!

I've never used my big chief in temps that cold, but I'm pretty sure you'll need some sort of insulated cover to get the same results you do during the summer. Another option would be to smoke the fish for an hour or two to get the smoke flavor and finish it off in the oven.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I've used a cardboard box on my little chiefs, also used a scrap piece of carpet wrapped around with a Webber BBQ cover over it. The draw back of the BBQ cover is that no smoke escaped and the fish was extra smokey. I've switched to a propane fired smoker now though.