Thread: I have been dreaming about her!!!

Default I have been dreaming about her!!!

No frills, no buttons, no lights, just plain good looking without having to put on make-up and she has all the lines needed to get my attention. No I am not talking about a naturally good looking women who does not need make-up to be beautiful. But might as well be talking about one when it comes to a Weatherby Mark V especially in 257 Weatherby Magnum. Even when it is just the basic model she sure is one fine looking rifle, NO!!! one good looking rifle and the kiss of death to anything I decide to point her at. (yes I know you don't end a sentence with a preposition, just could not help myself). Yes, I know I can't wait but it helps me pass time because in two weeks I will have her in my arms and we will dance at the range and knock down some deer with this baby no matter how far down the gas line they want to get from beartooth.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Darned fine varmint rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Darned fine varmint rifle.
    Yep, you are right Flyer55. Watch the varmints I kill with this rifle and everytime I kill one of those so called varmints I will post the kill and the picture of the animal so people will see just what kind of varmints the 257WBY will kill and also the distance I kill them. This coming fall will give me opportunity. Of course those guys who like those big slow cannon balls that they shoot out of those hand held howitzers will complain about certain game I kill with the 257WBY. But one thing for sure, when I post one of those varmints it will be dead. Just like all those I have killed with my 300WBY and my 7mmSTW and my 30-06 Ackley Imp. Yes, just for the fun of it watch what I kill with it and I bet most if not all will be one shot kills. Yep, shot placement plus the 257WBY means one shot kills. I love a challenge, I love to shoot, I love to hunt, what a life, ain't it fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had that same rifle only chambered in 270 Win, it shot pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I had that same rifle only chambered in 270 Win, it shot pretty good.
    270 Win is a great round that many today because of all the short mag. stuff don't realize what they are missing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had a Mark V in .257 WBY. Wonderful rifle for black bear, blacktail, caribou, and sheep. It was a little picky on what it liked for pills though. Didnt care for Barnes too much, but loved the Ballistic tips. Shot the barrel out over 3 years of shooting...switched to .25-06

I have one of the Mark V Ultralighweights in 257 Wby Mag. I had to replace the factory Bell & Carlson factory stock for a couple of reasons. 1) It didn't fit me at all. Monte Carlo stocks have never worked for me, and the Weatherby Monte Carlo is the worst fit for me of any factory stock. 2) For a lightweight or ultra lightweight rifle, that stock was stupid heavy, about 33 ounces! I put an aftermarket stock on it that weighed 16 ounces in a classic style that fits me much better.

As good as the trigger on the Mark V can be worked, and they can be worked pretty doggone good, I ended up putting a Timney in mine. It is a sweet rifle. The 257 Wby is a fantastic flat shooting round. The 100 grain Barnes TSX is perfect for it, too! I'm wanting to try the LRB 100 grain in it, but they are so blasted expensive, I'm not sure I will...

I got that rifle but in the stainless version. Same chambering, too. Gotta love the 257 ROY. I got a Mcmillan Sako Classic stock on order for it now and the rifle should be all-up and ready to take deer hunting and black bear hunting with this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    I had a Mark V in .257 WBY. Wonderful rifle for black bear, blacktail, caribou, and sheep. It was a little picky on what it liked for pills though. Didnt care for Barnes too much, but loved the Ballistic tips. Shot the barrel out over 3 years of shooting...switched to .25-06
    The 257 Weatherby Mag is by far the best 257 cal. and I have owned most of them and that even includes a 25-06 Ackley Imp. that most think is a poor mans 257WBY mag but it is not. Wish some years back I had not got rid of my 257WBY. I can kill anything except big dangerous game from 0-525yds with it and have done so. It is not a barrel burner like some want to say and when someone does I know they have not owned one and shot a lot with it. When I use Reloader 25 and a Barnes 100gr TSX I get 3756fps and this is 1 1/2% below max charge of powder. Now how many rounds in three years did you shoot. What loads and velocities, how long between shoots, did you shoot praire dogs and shoot 500 rounds at a time or what? I had 1264 rounds that I recorded shooting in mine and know I shot more than I had recorded. The rifle shot still close groups when I sold it and the man still has it. Help me out here and let me know why you shot yours out which any barrel can be shot out of any cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default fair enough..

I did not use her as a varmint rifle. I shot probably 20 head of various game over just over three years of steady shooting, and given my records I probably put over 2000 rounds through it between hunting trips and the range. I loved shooting it..probably a little too much. At least too much all at once. Too hot loads too close together, my smith buddy wanted to rebarrel it and I sold it instead. It was really other factors though. With the .25-06 I could use all the .30-06 brass I had laying around, and use less powder, and I really havent felt "range challenged" by the downgrade at all. And my Rem 700 shoots the Barnes bullets a lot more effectively than my Weatherby ever did. I just doesnt like the Noslers now!

That was not TSX I used it was XLC barnes, I am so use to writing TSX I put the wrong bullet down. I check with my friend who has had the 257 I sold him now for six years and has shot a lot and I called him and ask if he new how many now he has shot. I said at least 900 maybe 1500 counting load development, hunting big game and shooting varmints. I ask him is it still shooting good groups he said yes, and then ask me why I was asking him this. I told a man shoot his out in three years. Now that rifle is 11yrs old and now has on the conservative side 2,174 rounds through it that we know for sure and we know it has had many more through it. Roy Weatherby in all the years he made 257 said no one had returned a 257WBY rifle for rebarreling because it burned out quick. Well I will be gone for a week and know I will have a lot of catching up to do when I get back. Until next week
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I dream of a D'Arcy Echols legend in .338WM, but then that's only a dream

My new list of varmints includes deer that eat ornamental plantings before playing chicken on the interstate, black bear that enter the kitchen looking for a snack and have no respect for patio screen doors, cougars looking for a domestic short haired cat as an appetizer, coyotes that think toddlers are training treats, wolves that decide that curious interns make tasty meals and are fun to chase before taking them down, and gators that love dogs. Come to think of it the lower 48 is getting to be almost as much fun as Alaska. Hope you put a large dent in the varmint population be it edible, mountable, or disposable. Have fun.

Default ?

What do you mean no frills or gimmicks, it has a synthetic stock doesn't it. If your new all around gun was a "natural" beauty it should have a nice piece of american walnut, not a dipped in a barrel of varnish weatherby stock though, they're kinda homely.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    What do you mean no frills or gimmicks, it has a synthetic stock doesn't it. If your new all around gun was a "natural" beauty it should have a nice piece of american walnut, not a dipped in a barrel of varnish weatherby stock though, they're kinda homely.
    I don't care if it is homely, just so it is faithful. Function is more important to me, I don't need looks if it will shoot. It is not a new all around but it can do a lot of work and I can't wait to try it out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS