Thread: DC485 with a bow?

Default DC485 with a bow?

Is it even worth trying to get a caribou with a bow with 13000+ other hunters in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Is it even worth trying to get a caribou with a bow with 13000+ other hunters in the area?
    This is a huge unit. There are tons of places to go to get away from the crowds if you are willing to get out of the truck. Bow hunting is very viable.

+1. Get off the road and hike in a couple of miles. Once you do that, you'll feel like you're the only one around. Don't go to some pull-off where there is already 50+ vehicles with trailers, etc. Don't compete or check out 3 or 4 bou that might be close to the road that 10 other vehicles are glassing as well. All your brothers and sisters that you never knew you had will be playing close to the road.

It's worth it only if you like to get out and hunt up close to the caribou. You live close to the hunt area try a few day then switch over to a different weapon if needed. Long season to fill the tag.

Yep. I hunt some of the most crowded parts of the unit... if you get out and walk a mile you might as well be on the moon. I've taken 3 caribou under 50 yds with a rifle and been that close several more times. I'm most likely going to take a bow this year (if I can get my cert squared away) and see if I can seal the deal.

Once you leave the road and trail systems the number of hunters drops dramatically and the ones you see and trying to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I shot mine at 26 yds this season out there. Definitely doable if you get back in off the road and take your time, glass your animal and get out in front of it. I spotted mine over 2 miles away. Watched it for 20 mins, decided I knew where it was going and cut it off and waited. Walked right into me.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

This is sounding very promising, thanks for the help guys. The bow will get first dibs but the rifle will be along for the ride just in case.

This is sounding very promising, thanks for the help guys. The bow will get first dibs but the rifle will be along for the ride just in case.
    Yeah, if I was a dedicated bow hunter I wouldn't hesitate going after a bou up there with one. It is a BIG area and now everybody will be able to spread out and go everywhere. Last season was my first year hunting bou in the area for a very long time. I could have killed a young animal with a bow and not far from the road at all. So imagine what it will be like getting back in there a little ways. From the area that I did end up killing my bull with a rifle I remember a number of good ambush spots that would have been ideal for a bow hunter. That was a little over 2 miles from the road...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This is what I'm planning on as well, provided I pass the practical in April. As someone who is new to hunting this part of AK, is there a general part of Unit 13 that would be quieter, and more suitable to a bow? I'm planning on getting as far off the road as I can, I have a boat, but no ATV. Thanks again for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    This is what I'm planning on as well, provided I pass the practical in April. As someone who is new to hunting this part of AK, is there a general part of Unit 13 that would be quieter, and more suitable to a bow? I'm planning on getting as far off the road as I can, I have a boat, but no ATV. Thanks again for all the info.
    I wouldn't say there is a "general area" that is quieter. It is more based on the effort/equipment it takes to get there. The more effort or the more specialized equipment, the quieter it will be. If you walk 1/2 to 1 mile, just about anywhere will be nice and quiet except for right along ATV trails. If you are looking at using a boat, it's more about distance or type of water you can navigate. Again, close in and easy to access waterways will get pretty heavy traffic, but the further you can travel, the quieter it will be. Research the waterways you may want to try though. This unit definitely has boat access options, but some are more problematic than others for sure. Some can offer solitude, but that is because most people either don't have the right boating equipment or aren't willing to take the risks necessary to get there.

Go to the Clearwater walk in area. There will be no issues with ATV's there.

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    Go to the Clearwater walk in area. There will be no issues with ATV's there.
    Except for the morons that blow right by the controlled use sign..and then continue to help load their buddies caribou up that was already skinned ready to go.
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Yep. I hunt some of the most crowded parts of the unit... if you get out and walk a mile you might as well be on the moon. I've taken 3 caribou under 50 yds with a rifle and been that close several more times. I'm most likely going to take a bow this year (if I can get my cert squared away) and see if I can seal the deal.

Once you leave the road and trail systems the number of hunters drops dramatically and the ones you see and trying to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them.
    You might check - but I don't think you need bowhunters certification to hunt a general tag/permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You might check - but I don't think you need bowhunters certification to hunt a general tag/permit.
    As of this year, you do need a bowhunter certification to hunt any hunt with a bow. It's a new regulation. There is a statement about it right on page 5 of the hunting regs here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...F6/general.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    As of this year, you do need a bowhunter certification to hunt any hunt with a bow. It's a new regulation.
    OK - I didn't know that.

Here's one more guy to tell you to go for it. I've taken two caribou - one in the Kenai Mtns (DC001) at 30 yards and one in unit 13 at about 40 yards, both up high. It can feel intimidating up there and sometimes you think it is impossible to get in bow range, especially when you're chasing one of the most random animals you've ever dealt with.

My advice is this: If your goal is to bag one with your bow, be careful if you have guns around. My Kenai bou fell after a solid ten days of hard hunting with my bow, with a couple close calls thrown in there. Weather was moving in fast and when it all finally came together, I dropped my bow and grabbed my buddy's gun because the group made a wrong move in the wrong direction. Before I knew it I was within 30 yards of six ignorant caribou with a 30.06, while my bow sat safely in the tundra 150 yards behind me. My unit 13 bou fell two days after my buddy dropped one and pressure was on to fill my tag before we had to get the meat out of there. I decided to leave my bow in the tent because we weren't seeing many animals and time was growing short. On the fifth mile of the day, I was suddenly 40 yards from my target (the first we'd seen since day one) with a .300 win mag. Thank god my bow was protected from the elements in the tent....

Large percentage of the time- if you want to kill an animal with an arrow it is best not to take a rifle with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took one with my bow out of eureka last year. Spotted him from the trail and went after him. He was a little over a mile off of the trail. I ended up taking him at 9 yards on the side of a mountain and the climb kicked my butt, but yes it can be done as long as you get off of the road/trail.