Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When asking for help on a drawing hunt...

Default When asking for help on a drawing hunt...

This happens every year....

Don't post a tag number, most of us don't have Alaska memorized by hunt numbers. Give some information about the area it's for. A lot of us think research should be done prior to applying for a tag, so when one is drawn and people expect the internet experts to get them dialed in it gets a little frustrating and you probably won't get much response to your thread. At least show that you have at least tries the search engines first.

Best of luck to everyone with harvest tags and draw tags!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Always good advice. The ones that really get the blood boiling are "boy I wish I knew I had to pay Ahtna a $1,500 fee" or "man that Nunivak Ox tag sure is expensive". Granted Fisn-n-feathers maintains alternative lists for both those tags inlight of this very issue. Good luck all.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Maybe this one should be a sticky at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post
    Maybe this one should be a sticky at the top?
    No "maybes" about it...!!!

And Jake...."a little frustrating" is an understatement for sure. All these guys throwin' money at a tag and when they draw it saying "now what do I do?"......well, it gets old pretty quick for a lot of us.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Another big frustration for me is seeing all the tags that go un-hunted, especially the TOK and DCUA sheep. I understand that some of these are just unavoidable but I'm also sure that a lot of them are simply people getting very lucky and not really having the desire to pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I was able to get a bison tag because someone reported they were not able to hunt. So I would like to ask everyone that can't hunt the Muskox and bison to report back in so someone else can get a crack at it. I hope I am at the top of the Muskox list!
    Last edited by tekla; 02-20-2016 at 11:36. Reason: Forgot a word!

^^^^^This is some of the best advice for ALL hunting efforts to fill a tag in Alaska.
    To be blunt, success is far more likely if the hunter(s) do their homework BEFORE applying for drawing tags!
    Scouting an area is not always easy or practical in a state this size, but the challenges of alaskan weather and terrain require a serious effort before one accepts a tag, and indirectly denies others from that opportunity.
    Good sense, good planning, and a bit of good luck!
    Sometimes it all comes together!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmstalker View Post
    ^^^^^This is some of the best advice for ALL hunting efforts to fill a tag in Alaska.
    To be blunt, success is far more likely if the hunter(s) do their homework BEFORE applying for drawing tags!
    Scouting an area is not always easy or practical in a state this size, but the challenges of alaskan weather and terrain require a serious effort before one accepts a tag, and indirectly denies others from that opportunity.
    Good sense, good planning, and a bit of good luck!
    Sometimes it all comes together!
    so, what you are saying is that everyone who was lucky enough to draw a permit, but fails to fill that permit has "denied others from that opportunity"? Do you really feel that every pernit should equate to a dead critter?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    so, what you are saying is that everyone who was lucky enough to draw a permit, but fails to fill that permit has "denied others from that opportunity"? Do you really feel that every pernit should equate to a dead critter?

Failing to "fill" a permit, and never really having put forth the effort to research a tag before putting in for it.........well, imo, they're two different things. Like I said, lots of guys "made o' money" just throw it at them with the thought that if they draw something then they'll think about it later. I actually take the time to put in for draws that I actually believe I can make happen beforehand......

Default When asking for help on a drawing hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Another big frustration for me is seeing all the tags that go un-hunted, especially the TOK and DCUA sheep. I understand that some of these are just unavoidable but I'm also sure that a lot of them are simply people getting very lucky and not really having the desire to pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know a guy that put his 85 year old mother in for tags to proxy for her. He put her in for sheep and now realized you can't proxy trophy animals. Low and behold she drew a coveted sheep tag. There's one not getting hunted!!

I have never put in for a tag that I know I can't hunt. I just don't have the funds or the job where I can just take off from. Thankfully I have lived in nice units for what I want to shoot.

This year I did almost apply for a sheep tag, but my fat butt kept me from applying.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Failing to "fill" a permit, and never really having put forth the effort to research a tag before putting in for it.........well, imo, they're two different things. Like I said, lots of guys "made o' money" just throw it at them with the thought that if they draw something then they'll think about it later. I actually take the time to put in for draws that I actually believe I can make happen beforehand......
    OK, some guys enjoy the exerience of DIY hunting on a show-string budget, and some enjoy the experience of spending big bucks on a hunt. Some folks enjoy preparing for a hunt for months? Heck, some folks enjoy the experience of going out with a guide who does all the work, including scouting critters, field processing of the animals harvested, even having their meals cooked for them at camp.

Point is, the "effort" put into a hunt is up to each individual, and as long as they enjoy the experience, who cares how much prep/effort/money/research someone puts into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Agreed with your point. And fish n game takes this into account when issuing # of permits for each tag. If every hunt had a punched tag, they wouldnt issue that many tags. Much of this discussion comes down to sour grapes. Some guys think they are more deserving than others. Envy is the ugliest of human emotions.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Trying to keep the discussion on topic and make a comment or two;
    no hunt can be expected to turn out perfect, very few hunters are "perfectly" prepared, AK fish & game doesn't have a perfect system for the drawing permits.
    Naturally even the best efforts will not always result in a kill. As stated, the number of permits given for a certain area/ herd is increased for exactly that reason. The management efforts get more useful data from a permit winner that goes into the field and hunts, kill or not. There is very little benefit to anyone if somebody applies for and wins a tag for a sheep hunt "just in case" one of them wanders down to the river while they are on a moose or caribou hunt. Some drawing tags are simply out of reach. Distance, cost in dollars / time, and fitness should be considered before applying.
    The original post, and mine, is a reminder that the folks should put in some effort and planning before asking for help, rather than come to the discussion with broad requests for information. A lot of that information has been earned from time spent on the ground, studying topo maps, and likely years of effort. -Just my opinion, my point of view.

On the other hand, this site and the discussion boards are for promoting and sharing the first class outdoor experiences that we have here. I have hunted and fished many years in AK and a few outside. This site is a small but fun and entertaining part of that experience for me and many others.

Some good points already made here...

Perhaps echoing others, I'm finding myself more and more intolerant of two scenarios:
    (1) The individual draws a permit and then asks people on the forum to post basic information about hunting that permit AND it is very evident in his inquiry that he knew VERY little to NOTHING in advance about the specific tag that he applied for and got, e.g., extremely limited access options, didn't know it requires a costly fly-in, Native land and requires a fee, difficult terrain that is beyond his ability, etc.
    (2) The individual doesn't use the permit after finding out the challenging and/or expensive details of that hunt for which he applied for and got...and yes...denied others (hopefully better informed applicants) the opportunity to experience. I didn't use the "fill" word, and I'm not talking about life getting in the way and precluding use of the permit.

More simply put, I'm talking about not doing your homework in advance of applying for a specific draw, and then bailing-out when faced with the reality of the hunt.

BTW, my comments are not the result of sour grapes because I did draw this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    More simply put, I'm talking about not doing your homework in advance of applying for a specific draw, and then bailing-out when faced with the reality of the hunt.
    Well, bailing out when faced with the reality of the hunt is part of it, yes.....

But I'm mainly talking about the guy that can afford to put in for every permit there is, doesn't know anything about most of them and doesn't really care, and knowing full well beforehand that if he draws any of them his wife will only let him hunt one or two. He is just playing the odds that if he throws enough money at them he's bound to draw something. Then if he draws say 10 permits he'll decide later which ones he'd like to do most....who cares about the other ones, they were only 5 bucks each....

I know some don't agree with me but in my mind, I feel this guy is far less deserving of drawing the tags in which another guy who maybe puts in for say a half dozen or so (he feels are coveted) permits year after year, loves, and knows, everything there is to know about each area, has probably been there before and knows where the animals are, and knows that if he were to draw them he would do everything in his power to make each hunt happen....

Well, what if we put in for lots of hunts, knowing ahead of time that we're Not going to go, just so that we can skew the stats so that when F and G study the 'did not hunt' numbers, F and G gives out even MORE permits to account for the 'did not hunt(ers) in that unit. Hey, maybe we're really just looking out for the die hard permitees. Not to mention more money in their fund box.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I agree with BRWNBR. If your asking about a specific hunt, give us more info than the hunt number. As far as others comments about doing your homework ahead of putting in for the draws I agree that some minimum effort should be put in ahead of time. My research ahead of putting in for any specific draw tag is fairly limited. I think a person really just needs to be able to answer a few questions prior to applying.

1. Where is this tag at and what is the access? The location of the tag dictates access. Do I need an airplane, boat, atv, or be in excellent hiking shape to get into the hunt area? Along with access, is there native lands or park boundaries to deal with.

2. Do I have the time and resources to accomplish this hunt? Time; can I get off work during the time frame of the hunt. Also under time, can I dedicate the time to get in shape if its a backpack type hunt. Resources generally comes down to money. Do I have the money to pay the transportation cost to get to the hunt area or buy the new gear I may need for this hunt.

This is really all the information I need to know prior to applying for a hunt and at a minimum what I would expect others to know before applying for a hunt. Most other information can be gained in the next 6-8 months leading up to the specific hunt you drew.

Crazy no one mentioned the people that just try draw tags so they know that there is one less tag to be given to an actual hunter, I have heard this is going on everywhere is the states and here in AK

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Crazy no one mentioned the people that just try draw tags so they know that there is one less tag to be given to an actual hunter, I have heard this is going on everywhere is the states and here in AK

Fish and Game takes that into account, they figure in the tags that won't be hunted. If enough of the population isn't taken out, they just issue more tags. Look at Unit 13 caribou, apparently not enough caribou aren't being harvested, so they put out 4000 more tags this year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast