Thread: Walk or fly?

Default Walk or fly?

I have given my best on a few occasions to harvest a dall sheep by simply walking into the mountains from my truck. Each being harvest ticket hunts, every time getting a little closer to success and learning a lot along the way. I now feel that I have gained enough experience in the mountains that if I was to finally pay to fly-in, I could be successful. Yet there is still something that nags at me to be successful by walk in only prior to a fly-in hunt. It's almost as if I don't want to use a mechanical advantage until I have been successful the hard way, but the only way to truly get away from the "crowds" is to fly-in.

Who has successfully harvested a dall sheep by both walking in from the road and on a fly-in hunt? Did you find the level of satisfaction to be different depending on your mode of transportation to get into sheep country? This thread is not to take or diminish the challenge presented when flying in, would just like to hear the perspective from other hunters.

It is very different for myself personally, I love the walk in hunt. I've harvested a couple each way and the walk-in hunts are more rewarding but my success is much lower. I've never not had a chance to take a legal ram on a fly in hunt. However, you can reach some real good "fly-in" areas by foot. Good luck

Well, I could write several pages on this subject. But, I will tell you that if you think there is less "Crowds" on fly-in, you are wrong thinking.

Don't fool yourself to think that you will be walking any less if you fly in. Most successful fly in hunters I know harvest there Rams at least 10 miles from the airstrip. My friend and I took Rams 10 and 13 miles from the airstrip, respectively.

I've taken Rams walking from the road, using quads, pack rafts, and planes. It all takes a lot of work and a lot of walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK flyster, that's a real beauty of a sheep in your avatar.Care to post a picture of your mounts ?

I've done both. My first few hunts were fun, but didn't find any legal rams. I won a permit a while back. I was told you HAVE to fly in, there is no other way. Well, where the plane landed there were ATV tracks. Got a sheep on that one. On a walk in hunt last year, we hiked in 12 miles or so before we found a fly in camp (later a second). Hiked a total of 20 miles or so before pulling out a nice ram. The fly in guys didn't get one in that area.

As was said before, just because you're flying in doesn't ensure that you're getting something others aren't. Might be that there are other fly in hunters there, might be some crazy guy that is going to out walk an airplane, might be ATVs in the area, etc.

My happiest times hunting though are when we get past any other hunters. It's nice to have the place to yourself so to speak.

Good luck.

Thumbs up Fly in

I am am looking to do a fly in drop off any recommendations on who to use? I would like the Alaska Range or the Brooks? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well, a "true" walk-in I suppose would be if you started walking from your house. What's the difference between leaving from your truck or a plane with your pack? I've done both, been successful and unsuccessful at both. Flying in guarantees nothing and does add a dynamic you have to be prepared for.... your ride home might not show up or be able to show up when the time comes. You can't just pull the plug and walk out for whatever reason, you still have to actually hunt sheep when you get out of the plane.

There are a few places I've walked to that I'd like to walk to again. Same with flying but neither one has to do with "walk vs fly" from a perspective of satisfaction.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I tend to think about road accessible walk-ins as requiring more miles and additional time for access and hunting, whereas a fly-in bridges a long gap in terrain and the hunter often starts hunting sooner. Not always the case, however, but an easy way to look at the two approaches.

Both are done effectively, each requires a different motivation and commitment.

larry

Quote Originally Posted by chapman8523 View Post
    but the only way to truly get away from the "crowds" is to fly-in.
    Not necessarily true. There are plenty of places that people just won't walk into just because they believe that it's basically not doable. Those are the places that even a lot of planes can't get you in very close to because there's no place to land or it may not even be legal to. Rams like those kinds of places. It really all depends on how much time a guy has....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    .... It really all depends on how much time a guy has....
    Big part of it right there.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

This summer I will finally have some time to put in some serious scouting trips, might be the difference maker. What a difference as the kids get older, the old lady doesn't put up as big of a fight when I head into the back country haha.