Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 741 vs. Furuno 1870F vs. Raymarine Dragonfly PRO7 vs. etc.?

Default Garmin 741 vs. Furuno 1870F vs. Raymarine Dragonfly PRO7 vs. etc.?

I am looking for a new fish finder and plotter. I am looking to stay around the $1k mark (less if there's something comparable but cheaper). I am more interested in the fish finding capabilities than the chart plotting capabilities. I will be using the unit 95% of the time in Kachemak bay. I mainly troll for salmon, bait fish and jig halibut and rockfish. Which of the units above do you have experience with and recommend? Am I missing any good units? Are these units overkill for my mission? Can you "see" halibut on the bottom with these units? Thanks!

I just got a garmin echo map 95sv and love it. Happy to show it in use if you're in homer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stick with Garmin. No on he halibut on the bottom. I just put a new transducer on a boat I fish with the better transducer he more you will see.

I honestly don't think you will go wrong with either Furuno or Garmin. Garmin seems to really have stepped up it's game in the fish finder department when you put on a decent 600w or 1k transducer. My little $200 551c with a 600W airmar shows me just about everything my 3k unit does. I remain a big fan of 600w transducers for sport fishing too, as I've used a 600w for years and it's never slowed me down one bit. I also think that the Furuno 1860 is a great deal. They had $200 rebates on them not too long ago. Guys were getting them for just over $500.

You might want to think about 2 units too. Get a 5.7" Garmin GPS/FF combo, and then a 5.7" Garmin Fish Finder. Run the GPS/FF as just the GPS, but if the FF ever goes out, you can just swap the transducer cable over. I know that 1 unit is all the rage, but I really like having a separate screen. But maybe that's just me.

I've always been a Garmin fan, but picked up a Raymarine Dragonfly Pro 4 for the skiff last year, and was pretty impressed for the price. Haven't tried it at much depth, but the detail is impressive. The wifish app is sweet if you have someone riding shotgun or on deck with an ipad.

I will have to look at the Raymarine. I had one about 6 years ago and wasn't too impressed. But, things change sooo fast in the marine electronics industry.

Even the new Hummingbird offerings look pretty good..

Last year I got the Garmin 7607xsv and the GT51-TM transducer. I'm still learning to use the unit, but have been very impressed with it. I can't say if you can see halibut with it as I'd finished halibut fishing by the time I realized I hadn't turned on the chirp function. I will say for salmon fishing the wide view is nice, and for rock fishing it's amazing what I see in spots I've fished for years and barely got more than depth off of my old unit.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Buy a Furuno and forget about the rest. If you ever have a problem with a Furuno 20 years from now they will still have parts and be able to fix it. Can't say that about the others.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have always had Garmin and have run boats with Furuno. However after seeing and using Nobeltec catch and now owning and using it for 2 years I could never go back. It's truly is steps above anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKRazn View Post
    I have always had Garmin and have run boats with Furuno. However after seeing and using Nobeltec catch and now owning and using it for 2 years I could never go back. It's truly is steps above anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the OP wants to spend $1000 or less on the whole machine not $2800 for a program

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I will say that Noble Tech Catch is one of the most powerful tools out there. But, it's not practical for a sport boat set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I honestly don't think you will go wrong with either Furuno or Garmin.

You might want to think about 2 units too. Get a 5.7" Garmin GPS/FF combo, and then a 5.7" Garmin Fish Finder. Run the GPS/FF as just the GPS, but if the FF ever goes out, you can just swap the transducer cable over. I know that 1 unit is all the rage, but I really like having a separate screen. But maybe that's just me.
    Either GARMIN of Furuno will be fine. I'm also in the same opinion at TI about the 2 units, I hate changing between screens all the time, to the point I installed 3 units last spring when I upgraded. It's nice to be able to just look up and see the GPS and sounder. Yes you can split the screen, but unless you have large screens, good luck seeing from the back on the boat.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I've been thinking really hard about how I want to outfit a 25' Almar boat I am rigging up. Lots of great products out there. I'd almost want an 1870 and run it exclusively as a fish finder. I just have had great luck with Furuno sounders. Then, get a Garmin 741 as the chart plotter. Flush mount them both to keep everything neat and tidy and be done with it.

Has anyone else had issues with the Garmin GSD 26? This weekend we went through a second sounder box. The first unit worked great for a while (tracked bottom at speed), then started losing bottom intermittently, then quit tracking all together. Garmin exchanged the box for a refurb, and it did exactly the same thing. I changed no settings, and it worked perfectly for about 3-5 trips, then lost bottom, then nothing. Won't even find bottom in the harbor. Thought maybe a ground/static issue, but other than forgetting to hook up a chassis ground to the sounder, can't find any other issues. Garmin is sending another GSD26, but all I've heard is "we've never heard of this before". Have triple checked settings, done updates, etc. It is connected to a gpsmap 7212 and an Airmar SS175m thru-hull transducer on an aluminum boat. Starting to lose faith in Garmin... Unfortunately they could not tell me what they repaired on the first unit, or if anything was wrong since they exchanged rather than repaired.

I had a transducer going bad showed bottom some times, and some times not. Went to the radar shop on the spit they let me take a new transducer to the boat and test it with the unit on the boat. All is good now!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Has anyone else had issues with the Garmin GSD 26? This weekend we went through a second sounder box. The first unit worked great for a while (tracked bottom at speed), then started losing bottom intermittently, then quit tracking all together. Garmin exchanged the box for a refurb, and it did exactly the same thing. I changed no settings, and it worked perfectly for about 3-5 trips, then lost bottom, then nothing. Won't even find bottom in the harbor. Thought maybe a ground/static issue, but other than forgetting to hook up a chassis ground to the sounder, can't find any other issues. Garmin is sending another GSD26, but all I've heard is "we've never heard of this before". Have triple checked settings, done updates, etc. It is connected to a gpsmap 7212 and an Airmar SS175m thru-hull transducer on an aluminum boat. Starting to lose faith in Garmin... Unfortunately they could not tell me what they repaired on the first unit, or if anything was wrong since they exchanged rather than repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I had a transducer going bad showed bottom some times, and some times not. Went to the radar shop on the spit they let me take a new transducer to the boat and test it with the unit on the boat. All is good now!
    Mark @ Southcentral radar was really helpful and helped me confirm that the first sounder box was bad. I don't think it's the transducer cause once I got the new sounder box it worked great again.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Buy a Furuno and forget about the rest. If you ever have a problem with a Furuno 20 years from now they will still have parts and be able to fix it. Can't say that about the others.
    I doubt any of them will be worth fixin in 20 years...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

It just sounds like what I had going on I did change up to a 50-200 Airmar transducer from Mark. I just hung the new transducer over the side and I had a great picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Mark @ Southcentral radar was really helpful and helped me confirm that the first sounder box was bad. I don't think it's the transducer cause once I got the new sounder box it worked great again.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I've been thinking really hard about how I want to outfit a 25' Almar boat I am rigging up. Lots of great products out there. I'd almost want an 1870 and run it exclusively as a fish finder. I just have had great luck with Furuno sounders. Then, get a Garmin 741 as the chart plotter. Flush mount them both to keep everything neat and tidy and be done with it.
    Furuno makes great gear, I thought of that route but wanted sidescan for king hunting the beaches. I went SIMRAD NSS eVo2 all the way and have loved them so far. I couldn't flush mount but one unit, but flush mount is the way to go if ya can. I just rebuilt the boat and haven't finished up the electronics box up top yet, but here's what I did, love it. 12", 9" and 7 in the dash.
    KIMG0396[1].jpg
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast