Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have drinkable water at your cabin?

Default Do you have drinkable water at your cabin?

In the winter theirs not much to do but dream about things we need to do this coming summer. Can I add one more to the list? Over the years I've had coworkers buy land to build a cabin on, after they did they found out they had to haul the water in. It only a suggestion....before buying a place find out if there is drinkable water near the cabin and how to get running water to it.

Another problem is storage and keeping it from freezing in the winter.

A couple of web site that may have information on water quality in your area.
    http://dec.alaska.gov/Water/wqsar/index.htm

https://www.uaf.edu/ces/nrcd/water/

I have gutters with a plastic barrel, but still bring in drinking water usually. Also have a goat milker (google it) on top of the wood stove. Doesn't matter if it freezes as it won't bulge because of the shape. get a fire going and it thaws right out. Plus always have hot water. i leave plastic gallon jugs of water there sitting on a tote lid that will hold the water that comes from condensation as they thaw.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I bring lots of beer and wine!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    We have drinkable water at our cabin, but I like the way you think Music Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You reminded me of a guy I took hunting on a long weekend (3 days) he brought five cases of beer.
    Did I mention I never ask him again.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    You reminded me of a guy I took hunting on a long weekend (3 days) he brought five cases of beer.
    Did I mention I never ask him again.
    First off, three days is too short of a hunting trip and secondly, it sounds to me like that's one hunting buddy you don't want to lose.

Yes we do! There was a well service up the river installing a well for another couple. I had them stop and drill a well. Went down 80 ft got sweet water. The only downside is the water pump draws a lot of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    First off, three days is too short of a hunting trip and secondly, it sounds to me like that's one hunting buddy you don't want to lose.

I agree 3 days is too short. That was the only time he could go and I had seen a average of one legal moose per day. Not bad for a area 4 miles off the road near Talkeetna. I don't drink when out hunting.

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

I live off grid in a dry cabin.

I use a rain barrel from my gutters and pump water out of the lake for watering my gardens.
    I haul in my drinking water.

Living off grid can be hard work no doubt, but the work helps keep me young, and since I designed my electrical system and built the cabin myself, I think I have saved money in the long run.
    I am only 1/4 mile from a power line, but I chose not to go that direction.

I have a lot of friends I bum drinking water from.
    I have sinks in the bathroom and kitchen, which are served by water coolers, I inserted a spigot on the coolers so I do not have to use the regular factory push buttons to use them. Below, I simply catch the grey water in buckets and empty them accordingly. (I probably only empty them every other month)
    I have my showers down to less than a half a gallon. But in the summer, outside, I use a suspended black 50 gallon drum filled with lake water for my showers.

What is my dream in winter for the next year concerning water?
    To install a holding tank in my loft that can hold 200-300 gallons, have it gravity fed to my sinks and eventually have a underground holding tank to store my grey water.
    I already use/have a composting toilet.

One never realizes how much water is taken for granted, until you do not have it at the turn of a faucet.
    The same goes for electricity, my wife calls me the electric police, because I am on her when she leaves the bathroom light on, draining my battery's.
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".

I have a bunch of springs around me, already found quite a few good ones and lots more to find, and have a 110 foot well put in at the top of a 300 foot hill, so got lucky there. Overall I think im pretty lucky with my water situation. Lot better than most places on the Yetna.

I have a spring has a lot of good clear cold water on the Yentna.

Have any of you developed a natural spring with a pipe that way you can fill water jugs or whatever? I have one close by my place that flows year round and doesn't freeze, I am assuming i need to find where it starts at the highest spot and get it to flow through a pipe so I can fill my jugs

Easiest ways to develop the spring is to dam up the actual location it is coming out of the ground and run some pvc pipe through the dam, letting it flow and fall. That way you can pour it into your jugs real easy.

Had a spring but only a seep, found out a lot of folks around my area have culvert wells, Sunk a 20' x 3' culvert on end. Built an insulated well house on top, returns 400 gallons a day, no ice after a week at -15

Here is my spring set up. It flows out of the reservoir barrel all winter, but the 450' of pipe freezes.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.ph...2039#msg182039

Plenty of water at my place.
    During the winter the system will be drained and will carry in water.
    Will be pumping from the lake into a 500 gal plastic tank that will be in the "crawl space" under the cabin.

LOL That's great Music Man
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I could have bought a lot of beer for the cost of my well that I had put in but it is really nice to have running water anytime we want. Especially now that the wife has a wood fired hot tub at the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Plenty of water at my place.
    During the winter the system will be drained and will carry in water.
    Will be pumping from the lake into a 500 gal plastic tank that will be in the "crawl space" under the cabin.

I was at a friends cabin that had water all year around. After filling the water tank he would shut off the water pump then turn on a air pump that would pushed the water out of the pipe that went under the lake. When he saw air bubbles he shut off the valve trapping the air and keeping the line from freezing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I agree 3 days is too short. That was the only time he could go and I had seen a average of one legal moose per day. Not bad for a area 4 miles off the road near Talkeetna. I don't drink when out hunting.

That's your problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast