Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dm422

Default Dm422

Drew this tag again. I hope this is the year did not get one back in 2010 anybody else draw this tag?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Guess I get the place all to myself
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I drew it as well. Looking forward to it again. Drew a couple years back as well without harvesting.

Were you guys successful on this hunt, I got the tag this year, Had tag back in 2012 but didn't get one, saw7 bulls.

I drew the DM423, first time. Looking forward to hunting it. Never walked the area though.

I got this tag. How come no success? I'm hoping this is gonna be an easy hunt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Had it 2 years back, seen a couple bulls and called one to 50yds but no shot. Didn't connect, due to work schedule and base closures I only got to hunt very few days.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I had the tag in '13 and '16. I didn't connect in '13 and overall success was 25%. I found much more success in '16 and connected. Both due to experience, area knowledge, and a by stats - obviously a few more animals roaming about. Overall 422 success was 62%(8 of 13) and the vets tag was 80% (4/5) last season...highest success of the last several years. Base closures, web site log in problems were a road block last year, but didn't hamper harvest too much. Last season I put in 9 days, saw 4 bulls and a dozen cows.

Well hopefully self employment privilege, living 10 minutes away and 3 months of hunting time gives me a moose out of this

Starting to hunt it this week. Will see what happens. I'm hoping to connect within two weeks. I've killed 4 bulls in the past but this will be the first cow. I bet it's the best eating out of them all.

Good quick hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg mz.jpg (211.7 KB, 116 views)

Well I put in a lot of hours on this hunt. First morning I saw a dozen cows, 4 bulls, including one in the 60's. I didn't connect that morning.

For the next several times I went out I would see that big bull including the smaller ones. Always in a big field. As soon as you would slow or stop they would bolt into the woods.

I tried several things. Going in from behind and calling, waiting along well worn moose trails, still hunting and road hunting.

I passed on smaller bulls a few times. They were always in the same spots and not nearly as jumpy so figured they would be my back up after I grew tired of looking for a nicer one.

As time went on I saw fewer and fewer moose. I knew of a few that were shot but I suspect most have moved deeper into the woods for the rut. As only small bulls seem to be close to the road right now. And I mean 3 pointer or less.

Well yesterday after waking up for the 14th time to go do this hunt, at 4 AM, due to an extremely achy back (didn't plan on leaving the house till 6), me and a friend drove out and the the lil' reliable 3 pointer was hanging out at his favorite spot. We drove by him to go to another spot I wanted to go to. Found that someone else had just parked there. So I said " screw it, let's go get him, at least the pack out will be easy"

I had to kind of herd him to a good shooting location, by walking towards him, then grunting to get him to stop. He had 3 solid chances to bolt. But instead stood in a great spot to dress a moose out, perfectly broadside at 50 yards. The hornady bullet went right through him, both lungs. He walked about 50 yards and tipped over.

I'm excited for the fresh meat for sure! I really wanted to shoot a big one out there. Especially since I know at least one is running around. But I got a caribou hunt coming up, work to do ECT. Plus with rocket man stuff who knows, the base could shut down any day.

Hey that was good read. Better to just take one myself but I don't blame ya for trying to get the biggest. And with Rocket Man lol, I'd hate to chance it either. I guess I could write more on mine. I took it the second day out. The first day I tried to stalk / catch two but they bolted. This one knew I was there somewhere but I had some pretty good cover as she stood side front quartering towards me. I shot about 60 yards thinking she will bolt if I move from cover and try to get closer so I let it fly. Trying to see through the smoke, I couldn't see anything, It was like she just disappeared, no running noises, moans or anything. I used a CVA Wolf .50 caliber. So I walk up and there she was dead on the spot. Lung shot. This was a 2-3 year old cow by herself so she fit my criteria. The only thing I wasn't going to shoot was a calf. This was my 5th moose since 2010 but first cow and first muzzleloader kill. I'm a meat hunter but would love a 50+ someday. Now back to duck hunting.

Oh yeah. I totally sacrificed Duck hunting this year due to this tag. My lab is neurotic now. I just wish I could have predicted the future. I woulda whacked this guy 3 weeks ago and got on with my life haha

Sounds like good hunts gentleman! Does anybody know, roughly, the draw odds for that tag? And the vets tag that was mentioned earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
    Sounds like good hunts gentleman! Does anybody know, roughly, the draw odds for that tag? And the vets tag that was mentioned earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    About 1%

I have this tag and tagged out Saturday. We walked about .34 miles according to the GPS off a main road down an very old road. It was our third set up for the day. My buddy set up about 10 yards from me doing the calling, we were at the edge of a large field, backs to the woods. After about 45 minutes I heard two grunts from behind us. I turned to him and pointed at my ears and he shook his head yes and pointed towards the woods. I watched him lower his head and grunt. He has seen the moose on the old trail we walked in on but I couldn't due to the angle. Then all of a sudden I saw it out of the corner of my eye. To be truthful all I saw was antlers and moose, has no idea how big it was. I did know it was headed directly to my buddy who was completely unarmed and it had mating on his mind! It was only 20 yards from me and a lot closer to him. I quickly raised my muzzleloader, fired and down he went, about 8 yards from him. It was a safe shot since the moose was to his left and behind. If you have this tag or any JBER tag, get off the road and walk in anad right now calling works.

The hassle of the hunt is like right now. Every single area is closed for the next 3 days at least according to the website. Must be some good brigade training going on....before the snow flies or maybe for Rocket man.........good luck.

Right now only 403 and 406 are closed. Looks like the other areas are open.

I had the 60 inch bull in my sights but no clean shot on Sat 16 Sep, I got this other guy the next day. Congrats guys!Attachment 94691

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast