Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribou starting to move on the Haul Road

Thumbs up Caribou starting to move on the Haul Road

Just drove back this morning from a couple of days working in Prudhoe Bay. Caribou have started to move and a couple of hundred head are congregating around mile post 20-30. Saw a lot of nice mature bulls, still heavy in velvet. Most have not completely shed all of their winter coat, they look pretty mangy. I have to make several more road trips up over the next month and a half so I'll keep the forum posted on the progress they make.

Thumbs up

Hey, the next time your up that way, tell'em to wait a lil bit. I cant make it up there until 1 Aug, so if they would be so kind and just hang out in the local area for oh, a month or so, that would be great.

Thanks for the report...

Default thank you

I am heading up the week of 10 July. Thanks for the intel.... keep it comin!!

Default thanks

for the report. Please keep them coming, really appreciated.

Aren't caribou always on the move? Here today, gone tomorrow..........or vice versa. One report doesn't mean much. Regular reports on here from anyone driving that road, now that would be a substantial help.
    Would that be ethical?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Aren't caribou always on the move? Here today, gone tomorrow..........or vice versa. One report doesn't mean much. Regular reports on here from anyone driving that road, now that would be a substantial help.
    Would that be ethical?
    Ethical???
    We are talking about the Haul Road Hunt here! Pretty much a free for all and a very "different" deal from what most would consider hunting. But I base my opinion on casual observation, while driving along the road and watching as a tourist. If you have not witnessed it for yourself, I encourage everyone to do so. If the situation did have such serious implications for hunting, it would be hilarious. I actually watch two archers "stalking" a group of caribou. They were hiding/walking behind the truck their buddy was driving slowly up the road. The caribou fed in the ditch and as the truck approached, they moved off slowly and just out of bow range. It was a hoot and no they did not even get off a shot. There were other mis-quided individuals pulling similar stunts, and on one occasion competing in a race to get to the animals. Animals won. I know there are some ethical hunters that actually get out in the field up there and hunt, but they are not visible from the road. Silly Stuff.

Would that be ethical?
    Umm, isnt that what lifetime is doing? giving a report. Granted its the first but reports have to start somewhere. Keep us posted lifetime and everybody else up that way.

Would that be ethical?
    I think you missed the part where the poster said that he was going to keep the forum posted on the movements of the caribou herd from the animals he's seeing from his drive back and forth from Prudhoe Bay. Might be worth reading again before trying to dive in and start-up a little thread debate, you know?

Talking

Don't worry fellas it takes more than one or two bored guys sitting at a computer to get under my skin! Those that can appreciate the report are who I post the information for.

Default I'm one who appreciates your posts...

so keep on posting!

Talking Reports are fine

Reports of this nature are fine. It is the same as someone sposting that the Copper River Reds are running at Chitna. You first have to drive over there and then have the ability to catch them.

Kind of like I heard there was a gold strike in Nome. Keep the reports coming.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Noone said the reports weren't appreciated. Just making an observation. My comment on multiple reports should have shown I thought that would be a help.
    Hey, maybe one of you mods should start a "Haul Road Report" thread? Anyone heading north could just check in at ODD for a recent update and post their observations when they return.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sweet update, please keep them coming. Makes it hard to wait, but i'm not going till the 3rd of Aug.

yeah, a haul road report thread would be great and not to be stingy but why not make it "members only". just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimehunter View Post
    Don't worry fellas it takes more than one or two bored guys sitting at a computer to get under my skin! Those that can appreciate the report are who I post the information for.
    I appreciated your post and look forward to more. I'm far more disappointed that stalking behind my Hummer with my .458 Lott and it's 40X scope might not work ...sigh. Maybe a gatling gun will help? Just kidding fellas... no road hunting here and I'm the one you won't see ...I like to get away from the ding-a-dongs.

Brian

Smile Haul road 'bou

Drove out of Deadhorse for a looksie this morning and saw like Lifetime mentioned, several bands here and there for 25-30 miles. LOTS of wind over the last few days and some of the guys that I spoke with said that its strong enough to shoot around corners.

Smile Haul road 'bou

Tuesday night a group of about 400 were right off of the road (on the river side) about 20 miles south of Deadhorse. Still a bunch of little groups here and there spread out all over. Most of them sure like that 200 yard mark (safety corridor) from the road. None were closer than that... The wind has died today and the bugs are out in force.. They're BAD!!! Good luck...

Thanks for the updates guys, please keep them coming.

thanks guys...keep the posts coming bc this is really helpful

Richie

Smile Haul road 'bou

Flew out to the Bluffs from Deadhorse yesterday and saw about 60 total. Not much to see, don't know about further south. Broken little groups here and there. Looking out over the airfield right now is about a 1000... Go figure!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast