Thread: Girdwood Airport

Default Girdwood Airport

I have a work function for a few days down in Girdwood in March. I was thinking about flying my plane over there instead of driving if the weather looks good. I presume that they plow the airstrip all winter. What is the transient parking situation like there? Are there tie down spots for transient planes in the winter? I've never flown to the airstrip there and have no on-the-ground knowledge.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I have a work function for a few days down in Girdwood in March. I was thinking about flying my plane over there instead of driving if the weather looks good. I presume that they plow the airstrip all winter. What is the transient parking situation like there? Are there tie down spots for transient planes in the winter? I've never flown to the airstrip there and have no on-the-ground knowledge.

Thanks,

Mark
    Well there's not really any snow this year. Ice probably. The transient parking is on the southeast side of the airport, I think there are tie downs.

It does get plowed, though it isn't first priority so if there's a storm the highways get done first and the strip when they get to it. All parking is transient, but the anchors often get covered in ice and hard to locate until late spring.