Thread: My father-in-law back in the day.

Default My father-in-law back in the day.

Here is a picture of my father-in-law back in the day with one of the sheep he got. He started sheep hunting the Talkeetna mountains in the 60's and 70's. Always walked from Bonnie lake up Boulder creek and Chickaloon. He didn't take a tent or sleeping bag, just a wool coat, wool pants, and a piece of visqueen. Food was a chunk of salami, a chunk of cheese, some oatmeal, and coffee. If he got cold he hiked until he found wood for a fire. I still have his old, plywood pack frame at the cabin at Bonnie lake and was lucky enough to inherit his .300 savage that he packed all over the mountains. I loved listening to his hunting stories and am sorry he passed through my time to quickly. If anyone on here attended West high school in the 60's and 70's you will probably recognize him as Coach Wiltrout. Anyway, since it's almost drawing time I thought I would post this picture and get everyone excited about sheep tags!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool! Thanks for the pic and little story. I love talking and listing to the old timers tell stories. So much knowledge and information to gain from them
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Long......long ago I had a place on Ravine Lake.......off the road into Bonnie Lake.

That is so awesome great photo
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Coach Wiltrout, yes I remember that name from my brothers who both went to West in the late 60s. I went to Central Jr.
    That is a great photo and you have a great heritage there.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Very cool! Thanks for the pic and little story. I love talking and listing to the old timers tell stories. So much knowledge and information to gain from them

Great photo for sure. There is something about old photos that just really intrigue me.....just love em'.

Mike, the second best thing to listening to those stories from the good ol' boys is to read them. If you haven't read "Alaska's #1 Guide The History and Journals of Andrew Berg 1869-1939" you might want to pick it up as I think you'd like it. I've stayed in the cabin he built so many years ago, and love wandering around his old stomping grounds. Many great old photos in that book as well.

Also, "Alaska's Wolfman The 1915-55 Wilderness adventures of Frank Glaser". by Jim Rearden. My personal favorite...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I love those old photos. It's amazing they could hunt without Kimber Rifles and Zeiss scopes, Kuiu and Sitka gear, Range Finding Swarovski binoculars, form fitting ultralight packs, scalpel knives, GPS coordinates to get back on their custom ATV's towing a meat trailer.....

And look how happy he is. Awesome

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post

And look how happy he is. Awesome
    And he probably went up, killed it, and was back home all in one day...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I love those old photos. It's amazing they could hunt without Kimber Rifles and Zeiss scopes, Kuiu and Sitka gear, Range Finding Swarovski binoculars, form fitting ultralight packs, scalpel knives, GPS coordinates to get back on their custom ATV's towing a meat trailer.....
    And all in camo of course.

And I look at the size and weight of cameras back in those days. No, 2 oz. digital cameras. 35mm, made of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by akdaniels View Post
    And I look at the size and weight of cameras back in those days. No, 2 oz. digital cameras. 35mm, made of steel.
    Ha...!!! believe it or not I actually hauled in a full size 35mm Pentax up sheep hunting a few times, along with my 10 pound rifle.........lol

I can't get over how advanced the camo patterns were in the day...LOL
    Great heritage photo.

I remember Coach Wiltroutfrom my time at West High School. He was a good guy and always tried to motivate the boys in school. He was always after me to play foot ball and ran us hard in gym class.

I remember one of the "problem" guys trying to give Coach a bad time and talking disrespectful to Coach. It did not go well for that kid and if it happened today Coach Wiltrout would probably get a day or so off work. But, all of us thought Coach's actions were great and the "problem" child had a better attitude for the rest of the year.

He was a fair man and a well above average physical specimen. I bet he was a great father-in-law. Thanks for a great pic a bringing up old memories.

Back in the 60's I logged a few miles with the old G.I. pack board and then went hi tech with a Trapper Nelson #5. I spent my first night of my first and unsuccessful night on a sheep hunt rolled up in visqueen. I like my wall tent better.

Very cool pic! Back before 99% of all of today's hunting gear was invented. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by akdaniels View Post
    Here is a picture of my father-in-law back in the day with one of the sheep he got. He started sheep hunting the Talkeetna mountains in the 60's and 70's. Always walked from Bonnie lake up Boulder creek and Chickaloon. He didn't take a tent or sleeping bag, just a wool coat, wool pants, and a piece of visqueen. Food was a chunk of salami, a chunk of cheese, some oatmeal, and coffee. If he got cold he hiked until he found wood for a fire. I still have his old, plywood pack frame at the cabin at Bonnie lake and was lucky enough to inherit his .300 savage that he packed all over the mountains. I loved listening to his hunting stories and am sorry he passed through my time to quickly. If anyone on here attended West high school in the 60's and 70's you will probably recognize him as Coach Wiltrout. Anyway, since it's almost drawing time I thought I would post this picture and get everyone excited about sheep tags!!
    What? No GPS, two way radio, Sat phone, SPOT satellite messenger, hunt plan, quad, Thinsulate, Under Armour, Windshear, Gore Tex, Jet Boil, etc etc? How irresponsible........ Not supporting the hunting paraphernalia business like that. There outta be a law.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett