Thread: 458 Lott CZ rifle?

Default 458 Lott CZ rifle?

I recently learned the 458 Lott CZ rifle holds five down. I will most likely call this my next hunting rifle. After reading all my reloading manuals, they seem to use fairly fast/medium rate powders, and it's run at relatively low pressure for good velocity. Could I get away with cutting the barrel down to 20 inches? I was thinking of a peep sight, and no scope. Anyone have opinions on this round?

I was thinking about making a .475 caliber wildcat off the cz magnum. I was going to call it the .475 Smakaho magnum, but the five down .458 Lott trumps that!

Can only offer 2nd hand info from my Colorado gun-nut buddy who moved to Alaska and wanted "1 gun for everything"

- He wouldn't listen to me that either 375 or 338 was OK; He thought Mr. Grizz lurked behind every bush with pcp in their blood and evil intentions. He soon learned, as I have, that a bear tag is surefire bear repellent.
    - He made a 458 Lott from a Model 70 action
    - 22" barrel with a "Scout Rifle" scope setup. I don't get the sense of that over either a peep site or a fixed power mounted in the usual location.
    - Can't offer specifics but he mentioned seeing low pressure as well
    - He ended up with the 458 Lott as his "everything except sheep" gun.....for which he built a 257 Wby.
    Back in AK

A friend of mine has a couple of these in .375H&H and .416 Rigby. Very practical rifles. Any of the big boys would do the trick nicely.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Don't shoot it from the bench.... It will cause your brain to "slosh back and forth" which is a vary interesting sensation. It's not bad off of shooting sticks. I have a trijicon 1.5 to 4 power on mine. Your plan looks good to me, and would be vary similar to Phill shoemakers 458 win mag he has used as a back-up rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should read Cooper's write up of the development of "Baby"...his .460 G&A built on a similar ZKK action.

I like the idea of a peep sighted big bore. I had a peep on my Rigby- perfect for the purpose.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

When loading for the Lott, we found that the cartridge likes a case full of 4320. It also liked the 450 gr. Barnes.
    HTH
    Favor Center

One came through the local shop about 10 years ago as a trade in. It came with a box of ammo -2 rounds. I took it home and played with it and shot up the other 18 rounds. Back then I still had had dreams of coming up ya'alls way and shooting a big brown fuzzy. A serious health situation with a family member got priority and I sold that rifle and a bunch of others.

I think if I lived up there I would have another one. They are a little over kill for white tailed deer and coyotes and my bones are getting a little more rickety so I'll pass on another one. However I sure would enjoy reading about your messing with one and load development etc. so keep us posted.

It is a wonderful round and the CZ is a fine rifle.

Have you tried working the bolt on one? I know a lot of people really like them and have no problems with them. But, I was looking at one of the new CZ 550 Sonoran models in 30-06. Then I got a chance to try working the bolt on a CZ 550 long action. For me (emphasis, for ME), the bolt would bind going forward every time. This was a shame, since I really, really wanted to like the action, since the Sonoran is the factory version of what I would build. I don't have that problem with a Winchester M70 or Ruger.

Have you ever shot a 458 lott? I've had two, as well as a 500 Jeffrey. Once you get to a rifle pushing 500 gr loads 2100 fps or faster recoil is at a threshold where it takes a serious level of concentration before each and every shot and you simply can't drop into any field position and just squeeze off a shot. As wonderful as the big bores are for their very specialized use, IMHO the 40 caliber with a 400 gr @ 2400 fps is a much more capable and shootable all around big bore and there are absolutely no flys on the 375 with 300's @ 2500 fps.

The 458 lott will perform fine with a 20" barrel, my first lott had a 21" tube, the second a 22" tube. I could push 500's just under 2300 fps. That said, it is not a low pressure round.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Paul, I have not shot the Lott, but have put 200 round through 460 Weatherby mag. 500 gainer at 2500fps

Wow, I should not post with a smart phone. Auto correct doesn't understand gun lingo

I can remember a few years ago when I posted about not being recoil shy. Kinda funny how we go from the ruttin buck stage and nothing seems to phase us. The thought of shooting a 460 Wizzby or a Lott now doesn't sound like fun anymore. I don't even zero in slug guns for folk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod13 View Post
    Have you tried working the bolt on one? I know a lot of people really like them and have no problems with them. But, I was looking at one of the new CZ 550 Sonoran models in 30-06. Then I got a chance to try working the bolt on a CZ 550 long action. For me (emphasis, for ME), the bolt would bind going forward every time. This was a shame, since I really, really wanted to like the action, since the Sonoran is the factory version of what I would build. I don't have that problem with a Winchester M70 or Ruger.
    yes, they like to be run a bit rough. The binding you speak of, was it new on a gun rack? I had observed the same thing as I've owned three CZ's over the years. My 2006 model cz, was buttery smooth, even without oil. My newest CZ needed some gun lubricant and about 20 rounds, before it was as smooth as my old one.

Not all CZ's had the same followers in them. Some were like those on a 98 mauser where they protrude up farther into the bolts path and the friction comes from the bolt pushing the follower down as it passes over. However when there are shells in the mag well the races on the side of the mag well interacting with the round keep the follower down and out of the way. At east that is how my brain remembers it from my little experience with them several moons ago. A more recent CZ that I played with was flatter across the top of the follower and the bevel at the rear of the follower was more gradual so any interaction with the bolt would be more subtle.

I still like the new FN model 70's bestest followed closely by CZ and Ruger....as far as rifles with claw extractors go.

Please let's not overlook the MRC (Montana Rifle Company) model 1999 (excellent pre 64 model 70 clone) as being a fantastic value on the market today. I've got an American Vantage (stainless controlled round fed/ claw extractor and #5 contour barrel with iron sights in a gorgeous walnut stock) Left Hand (not a penny extra for LH) in .458 Lott and the action is very smooth, not to mention 1" or less with anything from 300 Barnes TSX to 550 grain Woodleighs. Yes, it's a handful with full powder heavy bullet loads, but downright pleasant with 450 grainers or less. It's stout recoil is much more tolerable standing than sitting on a bench (not recommended). Also being able to shoot .458WM is a big plus too, but the bottom line is when throwing max loads at large nasty critters steaming towards you at top speed, felt recoil is non-existent.

Many good projectiles in .458 that you can use. Don't always need to load full-house.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

WOW!!!! Mainer:

I know you're a Beeg Bore man, but your DEVOTION is amazing.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I read the .458 Lott is a beast stopping big game round. I also read it is a round that has lots of recoil and is hard on scopes due to the
    "recoil impulse", what ever that means. If I had one I think it would wear a high quality peep/receiver "ghost" sight with a barrel band front sight with a flat post.

I admire those that are proficient with rifles chambered for the big rounds. If I was Africa bound I would want some thing bigger then my .338 mag.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I read the .458 Lott is a beast stopping big game round. I also read it is a round that has lots of recoil and is hard on scopes due to the
    "recoil impulse", what ever that means. If I had one I think it would wear a high quality peep/receiver "ghost" sight with a barrel band front sight with a flat post.

I admire those that are proficient with rifles chambered for the big rounds. If I was Africa bound I would want some thing bigger then my .338 mag.
    There is a certain appeal to all that power, but for me, that's wayyyy too much gun.

I got maxed out with a 338.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.