Thread: What is happening on the Kasilof?

Default What is happening on the Kasilof?

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...ose-for-summer

Too bad they are closing the Trujillo launch. Won't even let a private contractor run it. That's gonna cramp the style of a lot of local business operations and private fishermen. Are we still building a Wal-Mart sized parking lot at the mouth this summer?

Oops, it was early. Should not have called it a launch. Trujillo pull-out. I've always been bad about that....

There was another small campground, I can't recall name of, Cohoe campground maybe. Closed years back. It that what they are referring to as the Trujillo?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    There was another small campground, I can't recall name of, Cohoe campground maybe. Closed years back. It that what they are referring to as the Trujillo?
    No Trujillo's is on the north shore at Eds Kasilof seafood off of K beach.
    It is a driftboat pullout only.
    The Trujillo family owns(owned?) it hence the name.
    Coho cove was on the south shore off of north coho loop had a campground and concrete ramp.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I just got a notice from DNR about the upland development

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/
    The Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water, Southcentral Regional Land Office is soliciting input from the public, including local, state and federal entities on the revised site concept plans for the Kasilof River Capital Improvement Project. The department received capital monies to improve access and sanitation facilities to support the personal use fisheries at the mouth of the Kasilof River. The revised site concept plans incorporate suggestions and ideas received from the public during the October November 2015 review period. The revised plans are available for additional review beginning February 18, 2016 through March 21, 2016. For additional information about the Kasilof River Special Use Area and the proposed site concept plans visit: http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/.

The Department has scheduled three public informational meetings during the review period.

• Wasilla - Monday, February 29, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Curtis D. Menard Memorial Sports Complex.
    • Anchorage - Thursday, March 3, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Central Middle School.
    • Kasilof - Tuesday, March 8, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Tustumena Elementary School.

Written comments will be considered if received on or before March 21, 2016. Comments may be submitted by mail: address listed above; Email: adam.smith@alaska.gov or christianna.colles@alaska.gov; or Fax: 269-8913. Any questions should be directed to Adam Smith at (907) 269-8557 or Christy Colles at (907) 269-8116.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    No Trujillo's is on the north shore at Eds Kasilof seafood off of K beach.
    It is a driftboat pullout only.
    The Trujillo family owns(owned?) it hence the name.
    Coho cove was on the south shore off of north coho loop had a campground and concrete ramp.
    Thanks. What ever happened to Coho Cove?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Thanks. What ever happened to Coho Cove?
    last word I got was a private party bought it and it has been closed ever since.
    That's really all I know. Seems like it was a nice place and fairly popular.
    They did need to repair their ramp but people still used it.
    My guess is somebody wealthy bought it to have their own private fishing area.
    Just checked the Boroughs website.
    It's showing private ownership and the the owner as Michael J faust whomever that is.

Thanks, That was a nice lil campground with TONs of potential IMO.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    last word I got was a private party bought it and it has been closed ever since.
    That's really all I know. Seems like it was a nice place and fairly popular.
    They did need to repair their ramp but people still used it.
    My guess is somebody wealthy bought it to have their own private fishing area.
    Just checked the Boroughs website.
    It's showing private ownership and the the owner as Michael J faust whomever that is.
    back in the 80s, we would fish from the bank/wade at Coho Cove and it wasn't unusual or difficult to catch 4-5 kings per tide. Literally the good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Jay View Post
    I just got a notice from DNR about the upland development

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/
    The Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water, Southcentral Regional Land Office is soliciting input from the public, including local, state and federal entities on the revised site concept plans for the Kasilof River Capital Improvement Project. The department received capital monies to improve access and sanitation facilities to support the personal use fisheries at the mouth of the Kasilof River. The revised site concept plans incorporate suggestions and ideas received from the public during the October November 2015 review period. The revised plans are available for additional review beginning February 18, 2016 through March 21, 2016. For additional information about the Kasilof River Special Use Area and the proposed site concept plans visit: http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/.

The Department has scheduled three public informational meetings during the review period.

• Wasilla - Monday, February 29, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Curtis D. Menard Memorial Sports Complex.
    • Anchorage - Thursday, March 3, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Central Middle School.
    • Kasilof - Tuesday, March 8, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm at Tustumena Elementary School.

Written comments will be considered if received on or before March 21, 2016. Comments may be submitted by mail: address listed above; Email: adam.smith@alaska.gov or christianna.colles@alaska.gov; or Fax: 269-8913. Any questions should be directed to Adam Smith at (907) 269-8557 or Christy Colles at (907) 269-8116.
    o
    this is a different issue. It is a pu parking lot at mouth of kasilof north bank

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...ose-for-summer

Too bad they are closing the Trujillo launch. Won't even let a private contractor run it. That's gonna cramp the style of a lot of local business operations and private fishermen. Are we still building a Wal-Mart sized parking lot at the mouth this summer?
    whrn Trujillo closed to everyone except a handful of people a few years ago plenty of people still fished and pulled-out at Kasilof cabins further down. Besides you can just wade fish at crooked creek park that's as good as anywhere on the river tons of kings lay right there all season long before they swim up crooked creek. We would really be enjoying that spot if less boats drifted the river but I doubt if I will even be able to notice the landing is closed based on boats seen. I do not think it will make a difference it did not last time it was closed, especially with the Kenai closed. When that new ramp opens there will be more boats and I will notice. I hope it takes 5 or 10 years to build that ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
    whrn Trujillo closed to everyone except a handful of people a few years ago plenty of people still fished and pulled-out at Kasilof cabins further down. Besides you can just wade fish at crooked creek park that's as good as anywhere on the river tons of kings lay right there all season long before they swim up crooked creek. We would really be enjoying that spot if less boats drifted the river but I doubt if I will even be able to notice the landing is closed based on boats seen. I do not think it will make a difference it did not last time it was closed, especially with the Kenai closed. When that new ramp opens there will be more boats and I will notice. I hope it takes 5 or 10 years to build that ramp.
    Well I for one hope they get it done as soon as possible.
    Years ago(15+) I fished the people's hole at Crooked creek several times a year.
    I got very tired of the crazy tourist's there.
    I'd be out in my waders with just about everybody else and some tourists without waders standing on shore would start casting pixies past my head and around my legs nearly snagging me.
    I found a deal on a used driftboat for $1500 and have never looked back.
    Since they closed that area to fishing from anchored boats I don't think there are nearly as many bank fishermen and boat encounters.
    I've given the kings there a break the last few years but might just have to give it another try.
    I do enjoy the upper river though. Lots of fun for reds/silvers.