Thread: Alaska BBQ

Default Alaska BBQ

Off the wall question here, but since my Tejas sojourn is rapidly coming to an end, and since I have dispensation to spend a few $$ on a Smoker to haul up North:

- Are there smoking woods available in AK? (i.e. Mesquite, Hickory, etc).....trying to duplicate what I do in Texas rather than smoke fish;
    - Are there any sources in AK of a good smoker pit or is one limited to what Sportsmans or Cabelas might sell?
    - For anyone that BBQ's/smokes....how late in the year are you able to cook?

thx
    PA12drvr
    Back in AK

Supplies are pretty readily available, and what I cannot get locally Amazon is happy to deliver. If you are looking to buy a big unit to bring up, I would do so to save a few bucks. As far as timing, I smoke and BBQ all year long. In temps below 20, a $30 welding blanket draped over the unit solves the issues of cold weather temp control.

Scott

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    Supplies are pretty readily available, and what I cannot get locally Amazon is happy to deliver. If you are looking to buy a big unit to bring up, I would do so to save a few bucks. As far as timing, I smoke and BBQ all year long. In temps below 20, a $30 welding blanket draped over the unit solves the issues of cold weather temp control.

Scott

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Fin chaser summed it up nicely.

+1 for the welding blanket. Works great!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Traeger grills make it pretty easy year round.

We just smoked 80lbs of bacon last week, (home made smoker looks like a small outhouse) with no issues. Wrapped the smoker with a blanket and heat it with a propane burner on low. Chips bought locally.

No reason to bring more stuff than you need, everything can be purchased locally to smoke your food.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Thanks, guys.

For the typical Alaska smoker, I'll build that when I get back home.

What I'll be hauling up from Texas is likely a Lyfe-time vertical smoker / stick-burner for a Texas-style cook. Welding blankets are a great idea: may ultimately require 2-3 for the pit I'm looking at but still a good call to extend the smoking season.

Good to hear that supplies are otherwise available up there.
    Back in AK