Thread: I have grown quite fond of the Remington 783

Default I have grown quite fond of the Remington 783

Yesterday afternoon I grabbed me 783 243 and went for a ride. I live in the very north west corner of our little town of about 8,000 souls. From my porch I can here coyotes doing their mating calls in the small timber 1/2 mile NW of me as the crow flies.

Yesterday was a relatively calm day and a bit warm for this time of year. As i turned my Dango(as the grand kids call it) north on the gas plant road I spotted a coyote about a half mile south of the north road and he was working straight north. I hurried to the next road and hung a right and when I was one hill from the tree line the coyote was walking along I shut my Dango off, slipped out the door and jogged up the road ditch to the tree line. I slipped between the barbs on the fence along the road and plopped down against the big corner post. I was sitting on my rump in the snow with both elbows resting on my knees. The gun was pointed in the direction Mr coyote was last seen. I sat there long enough for my rear end to thaw out what was under me and for my blue jeans to get wet and my natural padding had gone from cold to burning. I was about to say you win Mr. Coyote when I saw his ears break the ridge. He was in no hurry what-so -ever but I was. He came over the first little hill coming straight at me at about 500 yards. Then he disappeared from sight as he he put the next rise between us. In a matter of a minute or two he crested that hill and was walking straight at me at 300 yards. I had the cross hairs on him while my brain was saying let him come. He started down the little valley between us and then froze in his tracks. He then spun on a dime and froze again looking back over his shoulder in my direction only a little to the west. My thought was he sees my truck as I was feathering the the trigger. The little 243 barked and the coyotes legs went stiff and he fell over and did the dying quivers. His resting place to my frozen keester was 275 yards.

I am sold on these elcheapo Remington 783s. This one in 243 shoots groups like my old 40x used to shoot and I got it from Richie's P&G for $279. I have listened to my coyote hunting buddies jeers all winter. No it did not come in a Cracker Jack box, no I am not broke and about to loose my house. It just so happens that I have grown quite fond of my little 783 in 243. I may start leaving the Mini 14 at home!

How DARE you ignore all the experts on the internet!!!!!!

You're supposed to hate the 783 and spend your life whining rather than buying.

Just goes to show what happens when a guy uses his own brain, eyes and money. Gotta quit that nonsense and get back in line with the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    How DARE you ignore all the experts on the internet!!!!!!

You're supposed to hate the 783 and spend your life whining rather than buying.

Just goes to show what happens when a guy uses his own brain, eyes and money. Gotta quit that nonsense and get back in line with the real world.
    Remington did precede the 783 with a couple of cheap end loosers. I read an article that foretold the thought process behind the 783 and it in itself was kind of a neat story. Remington executives sitting around a campfire talking about their next attempt at an economy rifle knowing that they had to get it right this time. Most of the reviews you read are from people who have never even touched the gun and they are basing everything on Remington's past
    misfortunes. I read one article that blast the 783 for having a plastic bolt? Obvious clueless poop deck Charlie that wanted to have a say about something he knew nothing about. In the last two years I have owned and developed loads for rifles chambered in 223 in Savage model 16, Stevens 200, Ruger American and Remington 783. The 243 in Ruger American, Howa 1500, Mosberg ATR , MarlinXS7, Savage model 16 and Remington 783. I have also loaded for and shot 7mm-08 in Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Howa 1500. I am probably forgetting one in there somewhere.
    The Remington 783 does not come in 7mm-08 or I'd have one. The bottom line in my experience is that I would consider the 783 the best bang for the buck in $400 and under price line. I bought a brand new Howa 243 with Hogue stock for $350 and it is more gun that the 783 but they usually run on the plus side of $400 and usually close to $500.

I am someone who has not been a Remington lover in the past. However calling it as I see it I really, really like the 783. When shouldered with my eyes shut the 783 feels very much like a Winchester model 70 Featherweight.

Ya know BB, sometimes these forums seem like a popularity contest and siding with Remington right now is not a popular thing to do. But hey, if they got it right why not put a feather in their hat. Being a general gun lover I hope for nothing but success for every gun manufacture out there because it all leads to one thing....a higher standard of rifle for us average joes to enjoy. Who's not for that?

[ The little 243 barked and the coyotes legs went stiff and he fell over and did the dying quivers. His resting place to my frozen keester was 275 yards.

I've walked behind ya EKC and if'n you were counting your steps to that critter it would calculate more like 75 yards with that short stroke...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    [ The little 243 barked and the coyotes legs went stiff and he fell over and did the dying quivers. His resting place to my frozen keester was 275 yards.

I've walked behind ya EKC and if'n you were counting your steps to that critter it would calculate more like 75 yards with that short stroke...
    Sooooo how's come you couldn't keep up then wise guy. Besides I missed the last 2 that I shot inside of 100. I have only killed 3 coyotes this winter and I ain't about to down play the longest kill of the three. Considering that my carpal tunnel has gotten so bad that my wife has to pick my nose as I can't feel no booger with any of the fingers on my right hand. I can't feel the trigger either so I gotta yank it. I go under the knife next Wednesday so maybe I'll be good this summer.

I won one of the 30-06 783's at a Friends of NRA event. It's a decent shooter. The scope rings failed in short order (stripped ring screws, but not by me) and the scope is pretty much crap, but the rifle is as accurate as my 700 and retails for a hell of a lot less.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem