Thread: Would "BLACK POWDER" reduce the sound, all things equal.....???

Default Would "BLACK POWDER" reduce the sound, all things equal.....???

For example, say the cartridge is 45/70 and the firearm is very strong and modern, maybe a RUGER #1. Given the same weight bullet, let's say 450 grain, and let's say we dialed-in two loads, one going 975 fps using some type of black powder. The other also going 975 fps using 4350 or 4831 or some slow powder. Both are sub-sonic.

Would the sound be less with the black powder load........???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    For example, say the cartridge is 45/70 and the firearm is very strong and modern, maybe a RUGER #1. Given the same weight bullet, let's say 450 grain, and let's say we dialed-in two loads, one going 975 fps using some type of black powder. The other also going 975 fps using 4350 or 4831 or some slow powder. Both are sub-sonic.

Interesting question. Bullet at same speed will make same sound, regardless of what shoved it. That leaves difference in acoustic signature of different powders. I would think maybe concussive signature of black would be sharper/louder than smokeless, given equal amounts of each. But does your load use equal amounts of each...? And then each gun will attenuate that sound uniquely.... Do tell if you get it figured out.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Exact same firearm is used.........The amount or volume of powder will be what ever is required the propel the projectile at exactly 975 fps.

Been there, done that. It's within a few dB I bet, but different. "Flatter" for the black powder, kinda like comparing the sound of a rifle and a shotgun. You can tell them apart, but neither is quiet.

Well, that is my thought also, however I would sure like compelling evidence. It seems like the sound of a discharged black powder firearm is spread out over a longer time period, and is a more muffled and flatter sound. But that could be caused by barrel length, or generally slower projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Been there, done that. It's within a few dB I bet, but different. "Flatter" for the black powder, kinda like comparing the sound of a rifle and a shotgun. You can tell them apart, but neither is quiet.

I notice a much bigger reduction of sound with small charges of fast powder to achieve velocities like the 950 he's looking for. Just not nearly so much gas being pushed out the bore. For a real noise demo, try shooting the loads at dusk. Some flame with a slow burner. No flame with a fast burner. Lotsa lotsa lotsa flame with black powder.

So if I could bleed off 100% of the gas before the projectile departs the muzzle, and the pressure behind the projectile was exactly equal to the external barrel, and if said projectile departed sub-sonic, then there should be very little or zero sound.........YES or NO.......???

Yup. The thing to bleed the gas off is called a suppressor.

NO....NO....Suppressor. There are other methods.

So if I could bleed off 100% of the gas before the projectile departs the muzzle, and the pressure behind the projectile was exactly equal to the external barrel, and if said projectile departed sub-sonic, then there should be very little or zero sound.........YES or NO.......???
    No, the laws of physics aren't going to let you get away with that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

If 100% of the gas is bled off, the bullet would be stuck in the barrel.

I shoot holy black exclusively through my 45-70 and one of my 45 Colts (also my cannon).

I can tell you that the sound is more of a guttural boom, rather than the crack of smokeless, but low volume doesn't fit into the description at all.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My interest in this is having a firearm that makes a in-distinguishable noise. My thinking was/is that a muffled sound would be harder to pinpoint. Yes, this is mostly a mind game for post apocalypses covert hunting.

My rough idea was having several gas blocks and venting them into a rubber bladder, like a hot water bottle.

For my application it does not need to be quiet as much a muted and the sound spread over a longer period, as opposed to the sharp crack of a high velocity rifle.

My first project along this line will be starting with a H&R 1871 fully rifled 12 ga. with the longest barrel I can find, hopefully at least 30". I will start with the "AGUILA" Minishells in slugs. If I find that the sound is more than I can live with, I will start drilling 1/32" dia. holes, starting about 10" from the muzzle, and keep adding holes till I get the acceptable result.

I would like to thank everyone for their input.......

Not telling you what to do, but I certainly wouldn't post anymore about it.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...ition-silencer
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lots of shotguns come ported, especially "Trap Guns". I have no intention of doing anything illegal. Other than the H&R 1871 Slug gun. project......this is a mental exercise for my best selling post apocalypses survival novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Not telling you what to do, but I certainly wouldn't post anymore about it.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...ition-silencer

My rough idea was having several gas blocks and venting them into a rubber bladder, like a hot water bottle.
    Like this? ---> LINK
    #Resist