Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Hunts Are Coming out How do they Draw?

Default Drawing Hunts Are Coming out How do they Draw?

Does anyone know how the randomization is determined for the Drawing hunts? I have tried to look it up and all I get is the names are Randomly drawn? What does that mean. All names are picked by a computer based on their Name?, a number Assigned to the name. Based on the date and time they submitted, based on a randomly generated number by the computer tells them where to start. Does the computer use the date and time it is asked to start drawing to chose its randomness? I am just interested in how it is randomized?

I am probably wrong but I think the computer is supposed to randomly pick a person (even though they probably are not all that random) and then it goes through you hunt choices. If your number one is still open you get it, if not it goes to choice number two and so on. I'm sure someone else who knows what they are talking about will chime in.

All based on how much money you donate hahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    All based on how much money you donate hahahahha
    This is absolutely false since I haven't drawn in three years and usually spend in excess of $120 or more.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I am probably wrong but I think the computer is supposed to randomly pick a person (even though they probably are not all that random) and then it goes through you hunt choices. If your number one is still open you get it, if not it goes to choice number two and so on. I'm sure someone else who knows what they are talking about will chime in.
    So if this is the Case, what is the Randomizer for the computer. There has to be some sort of algoriythiym that is based on the time of day or based on something to start the random generator to pull a name, or what ever it pulls. I guess I am looking for the entire process. As this is a public entity it should public knowledge. As we are participants in this we really should know how it works.

Ok I found this on the sight,

wonder if their is room for numbers to be Changed after they are assigned. Who over looks the assigning of the numbers? What are the checks and Balances?

How Does the Random Drawing Work?

There are 4 types of permit hunts: drawing, registration, Tier I, and Tier II. Only drawing permit hunts require fees and are awarded by lottery.
    All drawing permit applications are entered into a computer database. Once entered, each application is carefully checked for 18 potential problems such as duplicate applications for the same hunt, correct hunt numbers, date of birth, hunting license information, etc.
    The computer then randomly assigns a number to each hunt on each valid application. The random number is referred to as your "draw number." Party hunt applications receive one draw number for each hunt. That is, both applicants on the party hunt application receive the same draw number per hunt, so if that number is drawn, both party members receive a permit.
    Permits are awarded to applicants with the lowest randomly assigned draw numbers up to the number of permits allocated for that particular hunt. If five permits are to be awarded for a particular hunt, the five permits will be given to the first five lowest draw numbers until the total permit allocation is awarded. For example, if four of the five permits have been awarded, and a party application has the next random number, the party application will be skipped. This is because there is only one permit left available, and two permits would have to be awarded for a party application (one for each member of the party). The permit will instead be awarded to the next individual applicant whose number is selected.
    After all permits have been tentatively assigned for a particular big game species, the listing is gone through to identify whether any individual has been selected for two permits for that same species. When this occurs, the individual is awarded a permit based upon their first, second or third choice of hunts on the permit application. The other permit is then made available to the first individual applicant with the next lowest draw number.
    Alternate lists are used in a few specific hunts to maximize hunting opportunity. The alternate list is generated from all remaining (unselected) applicants using the draw order already assigned in the original random draw. If the applicant originally drawn does not notify the department of intent to hunt by the date required, the next applicant(s) on the alternate list will be offered a permit, until all permits have been awarded.

I heard they just monitor this forum and any forum member who shows excitement, disrespect, questions, or eludes to the process being corrupt gets removed from consideration.

I'm not excited, I fully respect the process, do not question it, and there's definitely no corruption going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    I heard they just monitor this forum and any forum member who shows excitement, disrespect, questions, or eludes to the process being corrupt gets removed from consideration.
    I'm not excited, I fully respect the process, do not question it, and there's definitely no corruption going on.
    Bison tag headed your way! (Doesn't even matter you didn't put in for bison.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by McLucky View Post
    Ok I found this on the sight,

wonder if their is room for numbers to be Changed after they are assigned. Who over looks the assigning of the numbers? What are the checks and Balances?

How Does the Random Drawing Work?

There are 4 types of permit hunts: drawing, registration, Tier I, and Tier II. Only drawing permit hunts require fees and are awarded by lottery.
    All drawing permit applications are entered into a computer database. Once entered, each application is carefully checked for 18 potential problems such as duplicate applications for the same hunt, correct hunt numbers, date of birth, hunting license information, etc.
    The computer then randomly assigns a number to each hunt on each valid application. The random number is referred to as your "draw number." Party hunt applications receive one draw number for each hunt. That is, both applicants on the party hunt application receive the same draw number per hunt, so if that number is drawn, both party members receive a permit.
    Permits are awarded to applicants with the lowest randomly assigned draw numbers up to the number of permits allocated for that particular hunt. If five permits are to be awarded for a particular hunt, the five permits will be given to the first five lowest draw numbers until the total permit allocation is awarded. For example, if four of the five permits have been awarded, and a party application has the next random number, the party application will be skipped. This is because there is only one permit left available, and two permits would have to be awarded for a party application (one for each member of the party). The permit will instead be awarded to the next individual applicant whose number is selected.
    After all permits have been tentatively assigned for a particular big game species, the listing is gone through to identify whether any individual has been selected for two permits for that same species. When this occurs, the individual is awarded a permit based upon their first, second or third choice of hunts on the permit application. The other permit is then made available to the first individual applicant with the next lowest draw number.
    Alternate lists are used in a few specific hunts to maximize hunting opportunity. The alternate list is generated from all remaining (unselected) applicants using the draw order already assigned in the original random draw. If the applicant originally drawn does not notify the department of intent to hunt by the date required, the next applicant(s) on the alternate list will be offered a permit, until all permits have been awarded.
    So there is a glitch in the system. After all the initial names are selected, if the last "pull" was a party, they cannot get the tag. But if a duplicate is found, the party is still out of the running even though the correct thing to do would be to hold off on pulling the last name until all duplicates are vetted. Party tags are good, but they can drop your odds by more then 50%.

I will tell you how not to get picked. Never post on this forum DRAWS ARE OUT I did that twice and both years I drew nothing the other 14 years I drew tags And got rainbowed LOL!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I'm sure this draw process takes a bit of time to complete, and then the reports, emails, and website has to be prepped for launch. Me thinks that even though we don't know our fate yet, it has already been decided and someone, somewhere knows already!

My wife said she had a dream about sheep last night and she always seems to have a sixth sense about things....gosh I hope that means one of us drew a sheep tag and not that we'll be dreaming about them for another year!

How does your iPod decide what songs to play when you put it on shuffle? Maybe we would care a little more if we had to pay five bucks per song.

Someone I've hunted with in the past was convinced that it was all political and a popularity contest in a way. First dibs goes to executives and anyone who bashes the system would be blacklisted from the really sought after draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. - Fred Bear

Atlanta Braves 2019 WS Champs.

The draws are random. What we as Hunters have to compete against is the organizations who have funds to file for these draws and never use them such as PETA. I don't have any exact number but I do know they're are many out there.

2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    The draws are random. What we as Hunters have to compete against is the organizations who have funds to file for these draws and never use them such as PETA. I don't have any exact number but I do know they're are many out there.

Personally, I welcome those types of people to apply. The only thing they would really be accomplishing is to contribute more money into the system that promotes what they disagree with. Unless the number of them increases dramatically in a given year, they really have little or no effect on the draw results for us hunters. Fish and Game factors in the number of non-hunters in a given hunt based on historical information and allocates additional permits accordingly to achieve the desired take on the game population. If a bunch of PETA type people were winning permits and not using them, ADF&G would, over time, be issuing more permits for those hunts to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post

If I see a V. egan gets a Tok sheep tag I'm going to protest and argue that that tag should go to me!

I heard that they take 1/2 of all applications and throw them away. They don't want to give permits to unlucky people!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...242011_permits

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    That is a press release from 2011. Is there something in there that pertains to this year?

I've been randomly rejected every single year. I hope to change my O-fer this year. I say that every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast