Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed: Where to go for trophy Kings in the salt this summer?

Default Advice Needed: Where to go for trophy Kings in the salt this summer?

After visiting Nootka Sound for two years and then Sitka for the next two years, I'm still yearning to catch my first Tyee in the salt.

My research is now pointing me to Kodiak Island. I'd love to hear recommendations on Kodiak or if there is another place I should be considering.

Thanks in advanced!
    Ron

Boy, that's a tall order. I'm betting there are just as many in Nootka Sound and Sitka as in Kodiak, if not more. You just might not have put in the hours or hit it at the right time period in those spots. You have to strain a whole lot of water and see a lot of kings to find a Tyee. We boated 6 over 40 pounds last year, but that's out of over 50 kings landed and certainly more than that brought to the side of the boat and released without landing.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovin View Post
    After visiting Nootka Sound for two years and then Sitka for the next two years, I'm still yearning to catch my first Tyee in the salt.

My research is now pointing me to Kodiak Island. I'd love to hear recommendations on Kodiak or if there is another place I should be considering.

Thanks in advanced!
    Ron
    Come to Kodiak between Mar 15th and June 15th, preferred Apr - May, give me 3 days on the water and I'll fill that order.... the thing with chasing those big kings, you have to be on a boat chasing those big kings. Not fishing for everyone's limits of kings, not combo-ing it up and hoping for limits of everything, you have to go big king hunting. Had a good hunt guide tell me the secret to shooting a big bear, "don't hunt or shoot little bears". Same goes with big kings, big halibut or anything like that. Only a few of us really chase those big boys in Kodiak, but you have to be willing to search em out. But 3 days on the water and I'll get you a tyee, that's a nearly daily thing for a few of us here in springtime.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Come to Kodiak between Mar 15th and June 15th, preferred Apr - May, give me 3 days on the water and I'll fill that order.... the thing with chasing those big kings, you have to be on a boat chasing those big kings. Not fishing for everyone's limits of kings, not combo-ing it up and hoping for limits of everything, you have to go big king hunting. Had a good hunt guide tell me the secret to shooting a big bear, "don't hunt or shoot little bears". Same goes with big kings, big halibut or anything like that. Only a few of us really chase those big boys in Kodiak, but you have to be willing to search em out. But 3 days on the water and I'll get you a tyee, that's a nearly daily thing for a few of us here in springtime.
    Abel, thanks for the offer and insights. Message sent.

Abel is spot on. All of the charters I've been with are concerned with getting the boat limited, regardless of quality.

Are there any other trophy king hunters who want to weight in with an opinion?

Abel, thanks for the offer and insights. Message sent.
    I replied as well

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

I am curious, what is your criteria for a Tyee, 30, 40, 50? On the river versus the ocean is it different?

Thanks Abel, I'll give you a call in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    I am curious, what is your criteria for a Tyee, 30, 40, 50? On the river versus the ocean is it different?
    Great question! I was born and raised in Seattle and a tyee down there was always considered 30+. That being said, I want to have a shot at the largest salmons that I can sink my hooks into, and I'm willing to travel to where 30# is common. I was hoping Nootka and Sitka were those places but my biggest of many fish was only 26# on a my own boat in Nootka.

Since I've only fished salmon in the salt makes me Want to catch a really large one in the salt.

Craig Alaska. The Skeena kings move though from about July 10th -Aug 5th. Last year it was a big fish bonanza. I think I did a 30lb+ king for 14 days straight last year. There is a reason that just about every lodge in Craig is booked solid during that time frame. You'll also catch limits of coho and halibut. Good luck getting a spot. 40s, 50s, and the occasional 60lb king caught too. The outside of Noyes is known for it's big kings.

If the Op is chasing a real giant, a once in a life time Tyee where would you go? Late run Kenai, Smith River lots of big river fish also? Where is the best for a 40-50 or larger lb Tyee? Opinions,,

Abel is spot on. All of the charters I've been with are concerned with getting the boat limited, regardless of quality.

Are there any other trophy king hunters who want to weight in with an opinion?
    Yes. There are many guide out of Craig with 20+ years experience guiding. A handful with 30+ years. Mooching with a cut plug is how they get it done. Experience matters.

If I were you, I'd be calling Catch A King Charters in Craig and talking to Rich Manning. I have absolutely no affiliation with them. Sam Peters with Slammin Sams Charters would be another one. Or, Steve Stumpf with Silver Seas Adventures. Devon at Waterfall targets huge kings and has great success.

Beginning of May last year, one day we hit it right, 7 kings in the box 5 over 30, one was at 29, small was 23. Normally I can count on alt least one 30+ as long as weather allows me to get where I want. I may have to go with Brown bear one day this spring and have him put me a on couple "yuppy" stick fish tho, he's got that down.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

I was born and raised in Seattle and a tyee down there was always considered 30+.
    We've always defined "Tyee" as over 40, but the BC Tyee Club starts them at 30. More and more we're moving to meet their regulations in how we fish, with the exception of using power. To the point that I'm currently negotiating on a classic Whitehall row boat from BC. My bucket list starts and ends with a couple of weeks off Campbell River for some REAL Tyee fishing, the old fashioned way. Nice goal for a geezer like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    If the Op is chasing a real giant, a once in a life time Tyee where would you go? Late run Kenai,
    Well I remember a time when my friends were catching 65-80# kings in the salt that were destined for the Kenai. Unfortunately those days are gone, and like an idiot I never got out there with them to take advantage of it. Not to say there isn't a big one out there still headed for the Kenai, but you may have to fish who knows how many years now to catch one.....

I don't know about now as I haven't kept up, but for quite awhile they were saying the Skeena was the river they thought the new WR would come from. In fact they said a lady caught one but too many hands touched the rod for it to be considered. So if this is still true, a guy might do well heading off those kings on their way there.....wherever that may be?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Yes. There are many guide out of Craig with 20+ years experience guiding. A handful with 30+ years. Mooching with a cut plug is how they get it done. Experience matters.

If I were you, I'd be calling Catch A King Charters in Craig and talking to Rich Manning. I have absolutely no affiliation with them. Sam Peters with Slammin Sams Charters would be another one. Or, Steve Stumpf with Silver Seas Adventures. Devon at Waterfall targets huge kings and has great success.
    I was out with Rich last year and caught a 43.3 pounder on the outside of Noyse. He's a great guy to fish with.

Without spending a bunch of money travelling call Greg Markson of Polebender fishing. He's a member here. he's dialed in on Salt king fishing out of Anchor Point on the Kenai peninsula.
    Great question! I was born and raised in Seattle and a tyee down there was always considered 30+. That being said, I want to have a shot at the largest salmons that I can sink my hooks into, and I'm willing to travel to where 30# is common. I was hoping Nootka and Sitka were those places but my biggest of many fish was only 26# on a my own boat in Nootka.

Since I've only fished salmon in the salt makes me Want to catch a really large one in the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I was out with Rich last year and caught a 43.3 pounder on the outside of Noyse. He's a great guy to fish with.
    Catching them with downriggers is one thing, but catching them mooching with the pole in your hands like what happens at Noyes is awesome. Congrats on your king.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Catching them with downriggers is one thing, but catching them mooching with the pole in your hands like what happens at Noyes is awesome. Congrats on your king.
    Indeed! In 2014, our 10-year old caught a 50lb beauty near Craig, mooching with herring that he had caught with a Sabiki rig. I should be so lucky...

IMG_3928.JPG

20140713_110915.jpg
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Great king. Craig is such an incredible place to fish out of. Mooching is such an awesome way to fish, and that comes from somebody who trolls all winter and spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast