Thread: What do you guys know about a Berkeley jets

Default What do you guys know about a Berkeley jets

Looking at getting another lil jet boat, It has an old single stage Berkeley jet unit in it. I don't know much about them, I would be running it in the Copper, Yukon and Tanana. So I'm hoping it will hold up to silt and chew up sticks. Any advice is appreciated.

I ran mine on all those rivers for years. Get a stomp grate to make life easier. They perform well but cavitate very easily with any debris. Had a piece of debris get sucked up once in the canyon at Chitina when the water was on the way up. That was an oh ***** moment for sure.

I have a three stage Hamilton now and would probably not buy another boat with a single stage jet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Been there on the Copper, I ran a sport jet last. Is there any kind of access to the impeller from the top of Berkeley the jet unit? The problem I had with the sport jet and have herd other have had also is getting something hung up on the impeller it's self. Only way to clear the obstruction was to pull over and and run it at different RPM's and pray.

Had a Berkley in my old Hewes and it always got me home. There is an access hatch on the top of the jet which will allow you to get to the impellor, shaft, and if you have a cleanout tool you can clear the grate on the bottom of the boat. The hatch is on the small side, so you might not get your hand in there if you have big wrists. Mine didn't have the stomp grate, but there were several times that I wised it had. I ran it on all the rivers that you mentioned as well as PWS out of Valdez, never had an issue with the pump.

i have an AT309 and it has served me well for 10 years. the only time i really had an issue with it sucking up stuff was in the salt. A couple of pump on the stomp grate and we were on our way. 99.9% of the time if i sucked up something on the river, throttle back to idol shut the motor off wait 10 seconds and start back up. it kind of does a "back flush" of the pump. I run with 212 people and have had no problems running through the same water as them.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Thanks Jim, I ran with you on that first jet boat gathering we had. I had the Willy boat. So is the AT309 similar to the Berkeley then?

I have run one for about 5 years now with no issues, get the "inducer pre-impeller" I found it really helped reduce cavitation and re-hook up faster after cavitation. It is a non shrouded impeller in front of the actual impeller. I also love the hydraulic trim on the nozzle, couldn't imagine not being able to trim a boat for the load or water. They sure are cheap to maintain too... I open mine up every spring and typically spend about $100-200 on preventative maintenance.
    I have never had the AT309 but they sure seem similar with some of the same parts. I know you can use the intake from the AT 309 on a Berk because it is a little larger hole and easier to find a stomp grate. I have talked with the guys at arsmarine (search online) and they were willing to tell me which Berk/AT parts interchange.

Just remember the resale may be a bit less.