Thread: Burnt Snowmachies - Deshka/Yentna

Default Burnt Snowmachies - Deshka/Yentna

What is with the burnt up snow machines this year? I heard one burnt up on the Yentna a couple weeks ago, One did burn up on the "Cross Over" to the Deshka (still there, what little is left of it), and coming back from the cabin on Monday I see where another on burnt up about a mile downstream from the landing. And that one was pulled off into the woods across from the high bank.

Ya my buddy told me another one burnt up on Monday also
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Saw a PoPo burn up at Hatchers pass once. They drove 5 miles with the parking brake on. Heated up and caught file. No stopping it. Burned to a crisp!

Default Overland Trail/Deshka

Attached Images Attached Images
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Lots of plastic on the trail this year from guys going to fast and wrecking there sleds, I usually see at least 1 burnt sled a year so its not unheard of. Usually older bearcats, and I'm being serious out of all the ones I've seen catch fire at least 3/4 of them were older bearcats. This past weekend there were 2 good snowmachine wrecks on the yetna, 1 got totaled and the other one the guy appeared to break his collarbone.

I rode into figure 8 lake last weekend. I ran outta snow bout 10 miles in and had to leave it and ride on my buddies Wheeler. Glad I left it where I did. Rode back out just fine.

Release Lake Trout

I was one of the guys who burned up in Jan. on the Yentna. Brand new sled w/ 314 miles on it. Fuel leak. Once I hit the brakes, the whole thing went up like a Roman candle. Took 15 minutes to go from brand new to smoldering ashes. My buddy hauled what was left of it out the next morning, since I broke my leg jumping off in a fiery mess. Good thing I had insurance, and a good friend to throw snow on me.

Dang, thanks for following up and posting.
    Hope your doing better. Always wonder how that stuff happens.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Wow that sucks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

When we picked up my wife's new Expedition Sport last year, the salesman made sure to warn us that if you took off with the parking brake still on, you would catch on fire somewhere down the trail. I rarely use the parking brake other than when it is on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    When we picked up my wife's new Expedition Sport last year, the salesman made sure to warn us that if you took off with the parking brake still on, you would catch on fire somewhere down the trail. I rarely use the parking brake other than when it is on the trailer.
    Interesting... Mine was an expedition sport - 600ace. I did not have the parking brake on, but once I tried to slow down...boom!

Regarding Bearcats: the suitcase muffler has a ceramic lining that can...wear out. Usually right under the exit from the pipe stinger into the muff. In spring running rich with gas in the pipe, that area of the muff can glow red hot (ask me how I know), and it will melt and catch the plastic bellypan on fire real quick. Mine caught fire after I had about 6k miles on it.
    After I installed a new bellypan, I cut that area of plastic away and used thin aluminum stock with stainless steel mesh to cover the area. Now it has enough airflow I don't think it will get hot enough, and the mesh keeps out the snow.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...