Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure/tackle storage.

Default Lure/tackle storage.

Upon using artificial lures with the leaders tied to them, how do you guys keep them stored and ready to use without untangling the lines. Is there something on the retail market that can be purchased? If you can share pictures that would be very helpful. Thanks and tight lines!

I just coil the leader and put the whole rig in its own snack-size ziploc bag. Handy for labeling too,when you keep a bunch of different leader weights and hook sizes around for trolling bait, but for lures with leaders, too.

All my spoons, plugs, apexs and the like don't have leaders so I just box em. Hoochies and the like are wrapped on pipe insulation. I keep an old leader material spool that has the plastic covering full of clean leaders if I need one. All my leaders have a bare snapnon one end, snap swivel on the other, and they just get hooked together and spooled on. Thr n if ya need one just pull, no tangles ina baggie, no making the perfect wrap so it doesn't get tangled in the bag. Just wrap it back on when done and rinse the whole thing at end of day.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Having messed around with pipe insulation and looking at/using the smorgasbord of tackle cases out there for this application mini zip lock snack bags have proven the best solution for me. I hate detangling when all else is ready to fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I just coil the leader and put the whole rig in its own snack-size ziploc bag. Handy for labeling too,when you keep a bunch of different leader weights and hook sizes around for trolling bait, but for lures with leaders, too.
    Same way I do it! Just finished up making a bunch of mooching rigs and each one is in is own snack bag.

Thanks for the info guys, I probably should of been more specific. I understand the idea of using pipe insulation for the bare hook bait tandem rigs or coiling up the leader with the hooks and putting it a zip lock bag. But I have a lot of spoons and plugs with the leaders tied to them or running thru them that I'm looking for a handy way to keep them stored and ready and ready to be used again after fishing them. I don't want to waste time tieing a leader on a lure every time i use it. I may use several lures during the trip and I don't want to get the leaders all tangled up after I fish and wash them. Perhaps using a special cut piece of foam or something. I use plugs and spoons like the coho killers, brads, king kandy etc etc coyate, apexs. I would think storing them in a zip lock bag would have the hooks run thru the bag and get all stuck in it and you have to use a new bag everytime. Thanks again guys!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Rather than have a leader tied for each lure, I find it much more convenient to just tie a snap swivel on the leader and just switch out lures.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Rather than have a leader tied for each lure, I find it much more convenient to just tie a snap swivel on the leader and just switch out lures.
    Same here for spoons. Lures, hoochies and plugs don't lend themselves to separate leaders the way I rig them, so those go into snack size ziplocs too.

I have a tackle portfolio. A large bag with multiple pages that had multiple pouches on both sides of the page that have velcro flaps to seal them. Trolling spoons, plugs, flies and apexes all go in it. The rigs with leaders go one to a pouch while I can fit several spoons per pouch.

The portfolio is about 12"X18" or so and has about 8 or 10 pages.
    I can fit a ton of stuff in it and it fits neatly into one of my small compartments behind me for easy access.

If ya want I can take a pic.

I've always used ziploc baggies, with a twisty tie to keep the looped up leader from tangling. Works good, but everything corrodes up if they get used then put away in the baggies. Just picked this up - hoping it works. Looks good now (not full yet), but I have a feeling that after a day of fishing it will look like my kids' room. Hoping the vents keep things from rusting up so fast though.

I love the boxes with the blue anti rust panels. I think it's Plano. Those blue panels work incredibly.

Yes DRIFTER post a couple pics of your portfolio when you can. I'd love to see it. smithtb that tackle storage looks like what I'm looking for. I'll check it out the next time I'm up in Soldotna, Thanks

If you don't wash off the salt it is going be useless pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RadFisher View Post
    Yes DRIFTER post a couple pics of your portfolio when you can. I'd love to see it. smithtb that tackle storage looks like what I'm looking for. I'll check it out the next time I'm up in Soldotna, Thanks
    Will take pics tonight.

I make up my single hook 6-ft mooching leaders.
    I take a 1/2 inch piece of styrofoam.
    Cut it to fit into a quart size zip lock bag.
    Stick the hook into the 1/2 inch side.
    Cut a slit next to the hook.
    Cut another slit in the opposite 1/2 inch side.
    Wrap your leader around the insulation and into each slit.
    If you wanted you cut use a gallon size zip lock and a larger piece of insulation.

I prefer to build leaders as needed. I personally want to be sure all my terminal tackle is in excellent condition and just don't like the idea of having semi-worn leaders on tap when it's fairly cheap to just tie when you need it. Don't get me wrong, I've tried many of the solutions above and just opt for the ease of rolling my own as needed/wanted.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have used a variety of methods including ziplock bags, pipe insulation, spiral wrap etc... by far the easiest method I've found is cutting a drinking straw to ~1-2" and slipping the wound up leader into it. Wish I was at home, I'd take a picture to explain it better. Use this in particular for keeping my overgrown collection of Brad's cutplugs in some sort of order in the drawers. Cheap and fairly effective. Easy to pull out and deploy a new set up when the old one gets snarled.

At the bottom of this page is the picture of what I'm referring to with the straws. I don't use ziplocks for anything except heavier lined halibut rigs anymore.

All of the ideas you guys are posting are great ones. For those of you that can post pictures please do for they speak a thousand words. Like several of you, I have a bunch of lures with the leaders that run thru them, like the Brads, King Kandy, and J plugs. As for spoons most of them I've found out fish better with a leader line tied directly to them instead of clipping a snap snivel to them. I like to keep all of my lures with the leaders tied to them and all ready to go instead of doing it one by one as i use them while I'm out fishing. I'm looking for an ideal way of keeping them all stored and ready without them getting all tangled up. The ideas posted here are ones I'll defiantely give a shot. Thanks

Finally got around to taking pics tonight.
    Sorry for the delay.
    This binder has a total of 7 pages with 10 pockets per page.
    I store all my down rigging lures, stackers, spare releases etc.
    If you were storing lures with leaders one per pocket would work but if you're storing just lures you can fit more than one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast