Thread: How much to ask for a lifesize Mt. Goat?

Default How much to ask for a lifesize Mt. Goat?

Hello all. Just curious if anyone has experience with buying or selling a lifesize mountain goat. I took a beautiful October nanny with 9 1/4" horns and long hair several years ago on a Resurrection Peninsula draw hunt. Being in the military, and not knowing whether or not I would ever get the chance to draw or hunt goats again, I had it mounted lifesize. The mount turned out well, but after moving several times since then, the "goat issue" with my wife has gotten old!

I was fortunate enough to draw a Kodiak goat tag a few years ago, and took a nice billy. I had the skin tanned and did a nice european mount which is a lot easier to figure out what to do with in a new place. I would love to keep my first goat and considered trying to remove the skin from the mount, but I was told by a taxidermist that it would not work. I also considered chopping the mount into a shoulder mount, but the hair is so nice, it deserves to be appreciated.

So I guess I am going to try to sell it, but am not sure what to ask. There is a new Cabelas going up near my current home, so I figured contacting them would be a viable option. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much to ask? It is a flawless mount, and has a rather large rock that it stands on. The form was purchased from Mackenzie.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

first off check & see if its legal to sell in the state you are in.

different states have different laws pertaining wildlife.

the lifesize nanny goat should sell for around $ 5 to 800.

I realize they are a hell of a lot more to have mounted but I have also seen a lot of them for sale.

once the mount passes from the original hunter to another person all of the personal attachment is gone & so goes the value of any mount.

it has to be an astounding mount like one that has won a bunch of awards at a competition to be able to get as much if not more than what the mounting price was.

put it on taxidermy.net for sale.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    www.protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Thanks for the replies and information gentleman.

contact Lolli Bros in Missouri. they do taxidermy auctions a couple times a year and could give you a general idea of what they sell for.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

YEP, Lolli Bros will sure sell it for ya, No Minimum bid, You MIGHT be able to cover the shipping it to them with what you get back.

Selling mounts is a Pain in the Butt to say the least.

I have sold my Show room in Oregon about 3 times in the last 20 years to make room for new competition pieces.

Every animal in those where ones that I had competed & Won awards with over the years.

Cabelas has a few of them but they pay Crap for them. the last one was a Lifesize African Lion & Kudu mounts They gave me $3000. for the whole piece.
    That is about $5000. less than I charge to mount those animals for customers but I needed to clear out some room in my show room for my Elephant & Lion.

I had better luck selling them to a Motel in town, & we STILL get customers that enjoy them & comment back.

I have sold 2 Lifesize Mountain Goat Billies in the past Both large & VERY nice but only got a little over $1000. each for them.

& the Fish & game think we make a LOT of money for selling trophies, Ya right.

in most cases we cant even cover our materials cost , let alone our time in the project.

Protax. Where's ur shop located at in Oregon?

I have a Full time studio in Klamath Falls that my son Manages & our Headquarters here in Fairbanks.

www.protaxidermy.com

To the OP, as I said, Lollis can give you an estimate of what they sell for, I didn't say to use them. They arguably sell more taxidermy that anyone else in the US on a regular basis and can at least give you a ball park of what to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    contact Lolli Bros in Missouri. they do taxidermy auctions a couple times a year and could give you a general idea of what they sell for.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Being in the military, probably not, but if you itemize your taxes, a donation might make you more than a sale.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, guys. I think I'll just keep it, and wait til I retire and finally build a house with a tall stone fire place to mount it on.

You could put it on loan to a store then reclaim it after you retire there is a musk ox that has been around fairbanks for many years that residues in sportsman warehouse that why I have a shoulder mount with mine.

If you sell it may end up costing you a lot as I see the law.

Dad's dumping the whole trophy room. Never thought I'd see it, but he's gotten to the point where he's tired of it, I guess. Some of you will understand. Lolli Bros are going to pick them up in Idaho and auction them off. All his Africa stuff, all the North America stuff (including Alaska). Hate to see it all go, really, but it's time.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay