Thread: How to strip off Shark Hide

Default How to strip off Shark Hide

My clear coat of shark hide is about 7 years old and needs to be redone. Dose anyone know the best way to strip off the old coat and reapply a new coat? Or can a new coat be put over the old one without stripping off the old one?

I use acetone, light buffing with green scotchbrite, then reapply. I'm happy with the results, just be careful with the acetone on your skin, lungs, and any paint!

I find reading FAQ can save a lot of time and work.

Q: Do I need to remove the first SHARKHIDE application before I reapply years later?
    A: No. All you need to do is wash the surface with warm soap and water, rinse, dry, and apply the new coat.

Q: How do I maintain my SHARKHIDE finish?
    A: Simply use a mild warm soap and water solution just as you would on your car.

Q: What products will harm my SHARKHIDE finish?
    A: Any petroleum based product like gasoline, solvents, thinners, or any other product's that contain petroleum's, such as waxes and polish's. Also some acid's and certain cleaners. Since it's absolutely impossible to test all product's for their effects on SHARKHIDE, don't apply anything other than a mild soap solution and you shouldn't have any problems.

Q: What can I do to remove SHARKHIDE?
    A: SHARKHIDE can be easily removed with Lacquer Thinner no matter how long it's been on a surface.

Q: How do I remove SHARKHIDE from a small area?
    A: Simply saturate a cloth or paper towel with Lacquer Thinner and scrub it off.

Q: How about removing SHARKHIDE from a large area?
    A: Put Lacquer Thinner in a quart spray bottle, set the spray nozzle to a fine spray, and concentrate the spray in about a two foot area. Continuously spray the area without allowing the thinner to evaporate. Once the SHARKHIDE softens and turns to a jell, swipe it away with paper towels

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm going to start shining the old girl back up and get her looking new again. It will be a big job but worth it. It may take a few seasons to get it all, it's a lot of aluminum to cover. Wax on and wax off.

Acetone works really well in removing old sharkhide.

Where do they sell shark hide in AK?

Anchorage Suzuki Arctic Cat on Commercial Drive has been my source for several years. Haven't been there this year but they usually stock it.

Suzuki Arctic Cat on Commercial had quite a bit of Sharkhide on the shelf in November

Since the stuff self etches, you likely won't need to remove it unless there is oxidation beneath it, or deep scratchs that you wish to buff out. It should melt the imperfections away. At least that was my experience with it. Can be applied right over the decals as well.

Gasoline tends to fog it and causes some kind of residue or film... when I put sharkhide (S/H) over the top of this film, it seemed to smear but never get rid of it. I used acetone to clean up an remove this residue then re-applied the S/H for fresh look.

Also, it seems like S/H application is like painting in the manner of keeping a wet edge. If I try to do too much at once and the S/H get's a bit dry, I get the same film or residue. Again, I use acetone to clean up the smear then restart with S/H.