Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6mm

Default 6mm

I just picked up a Remington mdl 7 in 6mm. Clean straight lil rifle, I haven't shot it yet but I did shoot one years ago and liked it. I'm thinking it will make a good yote/wolf gun. Might even try for a wolverine. Was talking to an old timer and he seems to think the model 7 in 6mm is a bit rare, any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I just picked up a Remington mdl 7 in 6mm. Clean straight lil rifle, I haven't shot it yet but I did shoot one years ago and liked it. I'm thinking it will make a good yote/wolf gun. Might even try for a wolverine. Was talking to an old timer and he seems to think the model 7 in 6mm is a bit rare, any truth to this?
    I've never seen one in 6mm and in some respects just about anything marked 6mm REM is unusual, but it should make a decent rifle for anything you'd use a .243 for.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Dunno about the Model 7, but I have a loooong history with the caliber dating back to when it was called the 244 Remington and featured a slower twist barrel. That's an old story, so I won't repeat it. But over the years I've owned about a dozen 6mm rifles in assorted brands and models, and I've taken a whole lot of game with it from ground squirrels to mule deer. An M7 would have a short barrel like the old M600 (or was it 660?) that I owned. Really handy, even if it was kinda barky with slower powders. Only rifle I own in 6 now is a Remington M700 Classic. Man, is that one ever a shooter!

It will be dandy for wolf and yote. If you're into saving pelts, you might check in with Barnes and see if they make a solid in 244. Once upon a time they did, and I used them a fair bit for fox loaded at around 2400fps. No serious pelt damage unless I hit a big bone like the spine.

I had a Browning 78 in 6mm and let a friend talk me out of it for 2 1/2 times what I paid for it. Selling that one was a mistake. I will not do that again.

I am a huge 243 fan and have been for years. I think the 6mm is a better round than the 243. My thoughts have always been on the line that had Remington got the twist right to start with we would have no need for the 243.

I have a 20 inch barreled Savage Light Weight hunter in 243 and it is now broken in and I have found it's sweet spot with Hornady 58 grain bullets. At 3700 ftps they go into an inch when my motor is running right.

I think you have a great little walking em out gun!

If the magazine length allows, lengthening the throat on a 6mm so you can seat 100 grain bullets all the way out with the base of the bullet even with the base neck for an OAL of around 3.0" is well worth the expense. At factory length those 100 grain bullets are seated really deep (same for 243) and take up a whole lot of powder capacity, a real issue with slow powders. In 257 Roberts it was/is real common, giving you a 3" 257. I have one, and it pushes the 257 up into the realm of the 257 Improved, well above factory specs. I also once had a Ruger #1 243 rethroated that way for excellent gains.

A but of mine got all inspired by my 3" 257 and long 243, so had the same done for his 6mm. To say he was pleased with the results is an understatement. He's getting vels headed into the realm of a 6mm-06 or 6mm Weatherby Mag with outstanding accuracy. Not nearly so much gain in a short barrel I'm sure, but if I shot my Classic more I'd have it done, too.

Only one provision: LABEL your boxes of ammo accordingly, because the last thing you want to do is have some yahoo (you included) shove those looong rounds into a standard chamber.

Okay, one more provision: It's darned easy to make 6mm or 257 cases from 7x57. I got a case of 7x57 brass a few years back because I shoot all three, and at that time 8x57 too. The case heads on the reformed rounds all say 7x57, so LABEL THE HECK out of the boxes. I went one step further and got one of those paint pens and colored the back face of the cases, then wiped off the excess to leave paint in the head stamp. Red for 6mm, yellow for 257 and plain for 7x57.

Interesting, I'm going to have to look into that BB, but I need to measure the mag first. I'll probably leave it alone for now as I have several projects going one being an AR in .308 that needs to be finished...its sat around to long. I'm not sure what the barrel twist is on the 6mm but it was mfg'd in the 80's. I'm guessing maybe 1:9 1:10? Exited to get home and shoot it. It also came with dies and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am a huge 243 fan and have been for years. I think the 6mm is a better round than the 243. My thoughts have always been on the line that had Remington got the twist right to start with we would have no need for the 243.

I have a 20 inch barreled Savage Light Weight hunter in 243 and it is now broken in and I have found it's sweet spot with Hornady 58 grain bullets. At 3700 ftps they go into an inch when my motor is running right.

I think you have a great little walking em out gun!
    oh ya, I'm a 243 fan as well and was looking for a m70 in 243 when I happened onto this one. It's an interesting little rifle and I'm looking forward to playing with it. My understanding is Remington fixed the barrel twist problem of the .244 and renamed it the 6mm, but it just didn't get much traction as the .243 was long established already. Also it seems to be maybe a youth model as the stock is shorter and with an 18" barrel...perfect for my boy when he comes of age. I can already see the caribou roasts on the table 😎. This will be my first Remington so it will be interesting to tinker with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I can already see the caribou roasts on the table 😎.
    I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. Had a mom, dad and 13 YO son elk hunting on our place in the Rockies- mom shooting a 300WSM, dad a 338 Winnie, and son a 243.

Heard all heck break loose, sounding like a large war. Rode over to check the damage.

The three had jumped a herd of elk and unlimbered on them. I got a terrible sick feeling from past experiences with herd shooting elk. Confirmed three elk down, but pushed my nag for about a half mile down the tracks of the departing herd with no other signs of hits. Went back to do the gutting (they didn't know pie holes from poop chutes), then rode back to trade nag for John Deere to bring out the animals.

Hung them and went to skinning. One bullet in each, all 243's. Kid only fired three shots, so 3 for 3 as mom and dad had time to reload and dump 2 mags each at the elk.

Gotta hittem to kill em.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One bullet in each, all 243's. Kid only fired three shots, so 3 for 3 as mom and dad had time to reload and dump 2 mags each at the elk.

Gotta hittem to kill em.
    Priceless...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had a rem700 ADL in 6mm and loved it. shot lots of fox and coyotes with 90gn FMJ... Had a Redfield widefield 6x on it, great combo made some ridiculous shots with it.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Kid only fired three shots, so 3 for 3 as mom and dad had time to reload and dump 2 mags each at the elk.

Gotta hittem to kill em.
    Thats awsome.

Only had a .243 on a Mod. 7 Predator platform which I sold. I think what you have will be a good and handy set up. I think a 80 or 85 grain Barnes X bullet will take care of many a critter in North America.

I keep looking for a Win. Mod. 70 Featherweight .243 with the old style Winchester trigger. Gotta have one!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Only had a .243 on a Mod. 7 Predator platform which I sold. I think what you have will be a good and handy set up. I think a 80 or 85 grain Barnes X bullet will take care of many a critter in North America.

I keep looking for a Win. Mod. 70 Featherweight .243 with the old style Winchester trigger. Gotta have one!
    Had one just like your talking of. It had a real pretty stock. I was as big of threat to the coyotes and probably moreso with that particular rifle than any other that I have owned. Got offered a good sum for it and now it's just another regret.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Dunno about the Model 7, but I have a loooong history with the caliber dating back to when it was called the 244 Remington and featured a slower twist barrel. That's an old story, so I won't repeat it. But over the years I've owned about a dozen 6mm rifles in assorted brands and models, and I've taken a whole lot of game with it from ground squirrels to mule deer. An M7 would have a short barrel like the old M600 (or was it 660?) that I owned. Really handy, even if it was kinda barky with slower powders. Only rifle I own in 6 now is a Remington M700 Classic. Man, is that one ever a shooter!

It will be dandy for wolf and yote. If you're into saving pelts, you might check in with Barnes and see if they make a solid in 244. Once upon a time they did, and I used them a fair bit for fox loaded at around 2400fps. No serious pelt damage unless I hit a big bone like the spine.
    Some MDL 7s had 20" barrels. I think all the current ones have 20".

I had a 600 with 18.5" IIRC, and got rid of it because of the sharp reports.

IIRC, the 660s, had 20" and were without the ventilated rib that was on the 600.

My 280 had a 20" barrel for years, and the noise wasn't a huge issue to me, but the loss of velocity was.

If I had a MDL 7, I could go with 20", but I'd sure consider a rebarrel to 22".

I like to hear that stuff about the 257 3", and same with the 6mm. That approach to enhancing performance appeals to me.

Similarly, to that I had the throat on my 7mm Rem Mag. A 700 LA is plenty long and so is the magazine. I never got around to determining the potential of it, but it's nice to be able to seat the bullets out as far as I want.

For hand loads I made labels and printed them in Red to warn that the loads may not be a good idea for a short throated rifle. (Because, at least in theory, on chambering, the bullets could be pushed back into the powder.)

I guess, I need to get back to working with that gun.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You're right Smitty...660 has a 20". I still have the one I bought in 1968 at the Rod and Gun Club at Lajes Field, Azores in .243 with a Weaver 4x and kills everything that is stupid enough to stand in front of it. Crows to mule deer and a few hogs too. Never shot an elk with it but I wouldn't hesitate with the 100gr partition or even maybe an 80gr Barnes copper given the right shot. My favorite now is a Tikka in .243AI that's about the same weight as the 660 with a 2-7x Leupold Compact and a much better trigger but not quite as handy as the 660 which I put a metal floor plate/trigger guard on. It's free floated about 1.5" ahead of the recoil lug and the metal bottom seems to be more stable than the old plastic one but it still shoots about 2" at 100yds with the 85 gr HPBT...good enough, but the Tikka shoots real close to 1/2 MOA as far as I can shoot well.

I gave up on the 7 Rem mag when I discovered the .280 and gave that up when I discovered the .260 and I'm close to just using the .243 for most everything around here...just not fully there yet for elk.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    You're right Smitty...660 has a 20". I still have the one I bought in 1968 at the Rod and Gun Club at Lajes Field, Azores in .243 with a Weaver 4x and kills everything that is stupid enough to stand in front of it. Crows to mule deer and a few hogs too. Never shot an elk with it but I wouldn't hesitate with the 100gr partition or even maybe an 80gr Barnes copper given the right shot. My favorite now is a Tikka in .243AI that's about the same weight as the 660 with a 2-7x Leupold Compact and a much better trigger but not quite as handy as the 660 which I put a metal floor plate/trigger guard on. It's free floated about 1.5" ahead of the recoil lug and the metal bottom seems to be more stable than the old plastic one but it still shoots about 2" at 100yds with the 85 gr HPBT...good enough, but the Tikka shoots real close to 1/2 MOA as far as I can shoot well.

Not to high jack the thread but I passed on one of my 7mm-08 to a son-in-law and a grandson is eyeballing one of the 2 little 7s that I have left. I stil

I gave up on the 7 Rem mag when I discovered the .280 and gave that up when I discovered the .260 and I'm close to just using the .243 for most everything around here...just not fully there yet for elk.
    I just handed off one of my 7MM-08s to a son-in-law and a grandson is eyeballing one of the 2 I have left. I still have three 243s and one of them shoots 100 grainers real well. I have about decided that it will be my go to gun for everything that I hunt in the lower 48. Heck I remember when I was a kid and the 243 was pretty young itself. Folk raved about them being ample for all non dangerous game. Now-a-day theyare always getting billed as a varmint rifle and folk poo poo them for anything but varmints.....and it irks me when they do. I've got a friend in SW Colorado that uses his 243 for everything.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post

I rejected the 7mm Rem. Mag. when it was new and popular, in favor of my 280, but in later years, I just had to have one.

I never shot anything, but Caribou with either one. I Also have a 7mm Weatherby, that I really love.

Maybe its just my perception, but the 7 Mag is a mighty potent cartridge.

Plenty gun, for All North American Big Game.

Ohhh, Yeah.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I rejected the 7mm Rem. Mag. when it was new and popular, in favor of my 280, but in later years, I just had to have one.

I never shot anything, but Caribou with either one. I Also have a 7mm Weatherby, that I really love.

Maybe its just my perception, but the 7 Mag is a mighty potent cartridge

Plenty gun, for All North American Big Game.

Ohhh, Yeah.

SOTN
    Spot on Smitty. I have some loads for my 24 inch Howa 7mm-08 that pretty much equal a 280. That means it will do anything that the 7mm mag will do.....I just have to be 100 yards closer!

I have watched those guys on tv dump elk at a thousand yards with a 7mm mag.. Point being that I am not advocating anyone shooting at that distance but the horsepower is certainly there. That being said I have only ever once shot at a game animal at over 300 yards and that was a whitetail buck at a bit over 400 on the last day of season, our freezer was empty and I had a good rest. He was one and done with a 243. In comparison the 7mm Mag is certainly a very potent hunting rifle.

Being from Iowa and having never hunted anything that might hunt me back I grew up as a kid thinking the 7mm mag was a gigantic cartridge. When the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner came on the scene my brother bought one and I marveled at the thing. I also remember a few years later when he booked a brown bear hunt with a fella named Schoomacker(SP?) guiding out of the Sitka area. He was told that he needed a bigger gun......I remember thinking.... you gotta be kidding that 7STW will kill anything on the planet.....and it will but not as well as the 416 Rigby for which he traded. Even after all of that I would not feel under gunned anywhere in the lower 48 with my 243.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I would not feel under gunned anywhere in the lower 48 with my 243.
    I'll jump in with one point worth adding on the 24, and the 25 with 100's too for that matter. The 115-120's in a 25 are another matter, so I'll stick to 100's and lighter.

I've dinked a fair number of deer well beyond 300 and a few beyond 400 with the 243/6mm/257 and those light bullets. Had several bad experiences and a lot of tracking with bullets failing to expand. Got the deer in the end and got to study the pencil holes through them.

If you're long-shooting with them, leave the Barnes or any other mono bullet at home. My go-to in the 243/6mm for long shooting deer is the Speer 105 if the rifle likes, falling back to the Sierra 100 if not. Same with 257 100's, but for some reason all my 257's (including the 250-3000) prefer the Hornady 100 Spire point for accuracy.

Food for thought in any case. Shoot what shoots best in your gun, but lace on your tracking shoes with stouter bullets. A "miss" ain't necessarily a miss way out there, and you absolutely have to go follow up on the trail for a ways to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast