Thread: Suggestions on software iPad/laptop/chartplotter upgrade

Default Suggestions on software iPad/laptop/chartplotter upgrade

Looking to upgrade my standard horizon 180 chart plotter that is very basic with not much detail. I am asking for suggestions to upgrade with a c-map or is there iPad/laptop software that shows high detail for South Central(Kachemak, PWS, Resurrection) at the best price?

I have been running the Rose Point software on my laptop in the boat for a couple years now and really like it. I will usually put the big picture on the laptop and view the close details on the Furuno. I believe the software and the GPS that connects into the usb port of the laptop was in the $300-350 range and the detail is pretty good. I also love having that bigger screen to look while navigating that folds out of the way when not needed.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

I've been real happy with my Cap't Navigation software

Ebbtide, thanks for the comment. I looked at the software and seem much more comprehensive than I currently have. I do like the aspect of the bigger screen, which is one reason, but also to have more detail. Thanks again.

Kbarnes, Is this an app or windows compatible software. It seems there are several choices with that name. Thanks.

I am a big fan of Navionics Sonarcharts. They are super detailed bathymetric charts. Some chart plotters are now equipped with wifi that can broadcast to your tablet/ipad, get one that takes a Navionics card like Raymarine.

Sobie2

Not exactly sure if I'm clear what your asking but I have Raymarine and Navionics and use my iPad at the aft station for a second monitor either using Rayview App or Raycontrol App. Works for me and more options and details than I've had time to master.

I have used the Garmin Blue Chart app for the iPad. I really liked the detail that it provided. Much better than the CMap card in my Furuno unit. I believe that the app was free and I just purchased the chart package that I wanted. Less than fifty bucks if I remember correctly. You need to make sure you have the internal GPS or purchase an external one and have a way to charge it. The app really uses up the battery fast.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have been using iPilot on my iPad as my primary means of navigation for over five years now; it's fast, accurate and user friendly. As Spoiled One said, the app was free, just have to purchase the chart area that you want, which updates and corrects itself every few months. I have been thinking of trying out Navionics this year ( http://www.navionics.com/en/sonarchart )- it is a HD bathymetry map, so it corrects itself to what your fish finder or depth finder tells it, if they are connected/'talk'. I plan on using my current fish finder, which uses NMEA 0183, and the Sonar Server ( http://sonarserver.com ) to link them wirelessly... technology is wild.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

I'm using the Navionics HD on my phone and on an Ipad to back up the Garmin plotter. I prefer the Navionics charting.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff