Thread: Glock G29 SF, 10mm question about barrel for 220 grain hard cast

Default Glock G29 SF, 10mm question about barrel for 220 grain hard cast

Greetings. Just picked up this 10mm pistol as a specific use backup to a Moss 500 tach shotgun for bear defense in Alaska. I have larger pistols but can't carry them long distances backpacking due to weight. I'm also not confident that I could rapid fire my S & W 629 44 mag in any event. I'm a small guy and that cannon is just a bit too much. I selected the 10mm because it's the biggest that I could both carry and actually hit something with. The 10 doesnt' recoil much at all.

Anyhow, I'm going to put about 750 rounds a year of 180 grain FMJ stuff through it each year practicing. Then during bear defense carry, I'd use Buffalo Bores 220 grain hard cast lead flat nose ammo. I might practice with 50 220 grain bullets per year. I might also put 200 rounds or so of Double Tap 200 grain hard cast flat nose through it a year in practice. I was watching hickock45's youtube video and he seemed to be having some tumbling issues with the 230 grain bullet, so I figured I'd go with the 220.

QUESTION: Will this hotter ammo damage the OEM Glock barrel, affect reliability or risk injury to me?

If so, I'm happy to put an aftermarket barrel in it. I'm wondering if someone could refer me to a good AM barrel, if needed. Reliability is critical for this use, making cost irrelevant.

Thanks for any help. Great forum!

Put in a new barrel and spring/ guide rod for the heavier loads. You will get better groups and more reliability with the buffalo bore and double tap. As far as barrels lone wolf is not bad I prefer Kkm but storm lake and bar-sto are all good options.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

I ran a Gen 4 G20 and now a Gen 4 G40. I run a KKM barrel. The only real way to determine what your G29 will function with is to buy and shoot some different types of ammo. If it won't shoot 220s well you can always buy some Underwood or DoubleTap 200 grain WFNGCs. They should shoot fine from your pistol.

You could put in a stouter recoil spring assembly as chansen suggested which couldn't hurt with the full power loads. Shooting lead through your Glock OEM barrel won't hurt it. In fact, as I have found, the aftermarket barrels have tighter match chambers so ammo has to have the proper overall length to feed reliably. Your OEM Glock barrel has a generous chamber and is much more forgiving.

Glock doesn't recommend shooting lead through their barrels but as long as you are reasonable with keeping it clean you shouldn't have any problems. It will be very obvious if you are getting severe leading. An alternative to lead for bear protection could be a 200 grain Hornady XTP as loaded by Underwood or others. It won't penetrate as deep as lead but a bear skull, neck vertebrae or spine isn't made of steel and your shoots will be close.

The 10mm does make a nice portable package for hiking.

Go to Bufflalo Bores Web site and follow there recommendations. I changed the stock spring on my Glock 20, and its accurate and functions well
    with the stock barrel with BB 220 grain cast loads, I don't shoot jacketed loads with out removing all lead in the factory barrel.

Sep boiled it down well.

I love my G29. It's a good little powerhouse that is easy to shoot accurately and quickly. With that said . . .

I put an extended and ported lonewolf barrel into my G29 for the greater velocity, case support, and leading issue. However, it's been a headache getting the LW barrel to feed reliably enough to trust my life on it. I had to send it back once for them to clean up the chamber because the BB 220's wouldn't load all the way. It's better now but I still get occaisonal ftf's with the BB 220's. If I did it all over again I would have spent a little more on a storm lake, kkm, or bar-sto; or went the 460 rowland route but's another topic.

Taking a step back though, my perspective on using auto loaders for wide meplat bullets (and bear defense in general) has changed a lot. To me, there appears a reduced reliability in feeding with bullets meant for deeper and straighter penetration. It means we have to be all the more diligent testing ammo in our own auto loaders that we depend on before assuming it'll be glock reliable.

That is why I use the stock Glock Barrel on my Glock 20 with cast loads, I never have had fail to feed yet, I use a taper crimp and use barrel to check my hand loads. Seen a lot of loads fail to feed on some after market barrels. I have one of the old lews lead removers, and I dont shoot jacketed bullets
    till barrel is clean.

My concern would be the Double Tap ammo. I got two cases, in a row, from them with mismanufactured 10mm in the heavier bullets. The stuff wouldn't feed or cycle in a Glock 20 that had been shooting the stuff for years. (I had similar issues with 9x25 from them.) They didn't seem surprised when I called and said they have problems like that occasionally. They replaced the first case--the second case had the same problems. So I've been working through it with a Contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod13 View Post
    My concern would be the Double Tap ammo. I got two cases, in a row, from them with mismanufactured 10mm in the heavier bullets. The stuff wouldn't feed or cycle in a Glock 20 that had been shooting the stuff for years. (I had similar issues with 9x25 from them.) They didn't seem surprised when I called and said they have problems like that occasionally. They replaced the first case--the second case had the same problems. So I've been working through it with a Contender.
    Was there a specifically identified reason that your batch had an issue feeding compared to ones that didn't? I've shot quite a bit of Doubletap HC through a "stock" Gen 3 G20 without a single feed problem I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Was there a specifically identified reason that your batch had an issue feeding compared to ones that didn't? I've shot quite a bit of Doubletap HC through a "stock" Gen 3 G20 without a single feed problem I can remember.
    No specific reason, but I would guess it was either a neck sizing or seating depth/OAL issue. The person at DT indicated this problem wasn't uncommon. I was surprised, since I'd been shooting DT for a while at that point.

I have a Gen4 G20 and put a Wolf barrel with a 24# spring. I ran 220 cast bullets but the spring was too heavy and there were feed failures. It will run with the 17# stock spring but gets battered around. I have a 20# spring on back order through glockmeister. I plan to use this gun for defensive carry as well when I need to carry a more compact gun. My wheel gun is too big sometimes. I have not run enough Cast ammo through it to see if there are more feed failures. I know the stock barrel is more reliable, but it does not shoot much lead before getting gummed up, and the brass can get worked a little harder with the glock smile. If the stainless barrel has no feed failures I will go with it. If not, I will start testing the stock barrel and make sure to clean it often. It is super easy to disassemble, so no reason not to.

I also have a bunch of 180g laser cast bullets that seem to shoot well and have been reliable thus far. They are really cheap and easy to load and would do better than a JHP bullet if I needed a DLP load. They run just fine with the stock spring.

Most feeding issues I've seen is from limp wristing while shooting. Firm grip, don't flinch, and shouldn't be an issue. For prat ice, I still use and recommend a 22lr conversion kit. Whole new upper and mag. You use you're lower and trigger. Best trigger practice ever and also an effective 22 pistol for around camp or winter. Swaps in 10 seconds. I hand load now for the 10mm and still mostly shoot 22lr. No need to waste, practice n check function occasionally and that's it. Plus w glock triggers, pull about half way, you will feel resistance. Pause, then pull rest of the way, almost like a single action trigger at that point. You will shoot much more accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also advise a KKM barrel. I have a Glock 40 MOS, shoot coated lead from MBC, and didn't want to take any chances. Is it any more accurate than the OEM barrel? There isn't a barrel made that isn't more accurate than I can shoot. Having said that, I've shot more accurately using the KKM barrel. Maybe it's just a mind game but it seems to work for me.

I carry a stock Glock 29. My handloads use 180 jacketed hollow points loaded warm. They function perfectly.

I took a nice 7-point whitetail a couple years ago.

There are no brownies where I live now but we do have black bears in the yard.

I have full confidence that any shortcomings from the weaker caliber is more than compensated for by the sheer firepower of spare mags and controllability of the gun.

screwedbygoogle
    original username modified by google

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Put in a new barrel and spring/ guide rod for the heavier loads. You will get better groups and more reliability with the buffalo bore and double tap. As far as barrels lone wolf is not bad I prefer Kkm but storm lake and bar-sto are all good options.
    I absolutely love your lightning rod Ben quote under your posts. I hope the sheep get ridsta all the wolves.

The factory 29 barrel will likely lead up, but it isn't really a problem 1) for a limited number of rounds and 2) if you clean it periodically. I think the stock barrels might prefer slightly larger lead bullets, but if you don't mind cleaning them they work fine. There isn't a problem with having lead in the barrel, only when it starts to become a bore obstruction. Often the barrels don't lead for the first inch or two anyway, so it would have to be REALLY bad before becoming an issue.

Glock's warning about lead bullets is directed at cowboy lead and cheap swaged bullets. Buffalo Bore's Hard Cast bullets will work just fine - Here is a link to an article written by Tim, the Buffalo Bore guy.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=59

Well to directly answer your question I have shot a forty with hard cast bullets with a round of several thousand rounds over the years and have yet to have any leading.
    On A different note leave the shot gun or the handgun at home. If you are truly charged by a bear you will kill it or it will kill you before you will ever need another gun.