Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I was king and could change any hunting law...

Default If I was king and could change any hunting law...

I would make it illegal to post a picture or video of a harvested moose anywhere online without including the exact spread. Anyone else going crazy waiting for fishing and hunting season to start back up?

Also, would everybody want to contribute to a database of pictures/videos of moose with their spread listed so folks can get the best idea they can of what a legal/sublegal moose looks like? I did that awhile back by combing through the photo galleries and compiling it into a Powerpoint but I've lost it.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I would change the 50 inch rule to "50 inches +/- a half a foot or so" along with "4 brow tines total...or so".

Oh I would also make a law saying sheep had to climb to lower elevations during hunting season.

How bout this one... once you shoot a ptarmigan the rest of the flock must stay put? Too much?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

They must post gps coordinates of the kill site so we can go out there and make sure they took all the meat. (not really)
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I would not change the 50 inch rule or any other rule intended to preserve the quality and quantity of species we harvest. I would however opt to lengthen the bow season for moose from August 10-September 10. And then have the firearm season for moose be from September 10 - October 10. I've never understood the intent of having such a short moose season like we have currently. It's a real bummer. I don't see what the advantage is to having such a short season.

I'd make Alaska my own private hunting preserve and all hunting (except my own) would be based on a draw system. The BOG would be abolished, as would be the APHA. Game violations would be punishable by death (as would a lot of other violations; but that's another story for after my coronation). Guides who lived out of state would have to find another state to work in. Non-resident hunters would see license fees rising and either have to utilize a guide for all hunting or make massive donations to the royal treasury. Fishing would also come under my royal watch with similar new regulations, most notable would be a 10 year moratorium on King salmon fishing (we royals have to stick together, after all) and allowing my Navy to sink any fishing ship violating my directives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I would not change the 50 inch rule or any other rule intended to preserve the quality and quantity of species we harvest. I would however opt to lengthen the bow season for moose from August 10-September 10. And then have the firearm season for moose be from September 10 - October 10. I've never understood the intent of having such a short moose season like we have currently. It's a real bummer. I don't see what the advantage is to having such a short season.
    Yes, changing the season dates would probably be one of the first things I'd do should I be King........lol. I've always hated that just when other states are getting going on their big game seasons, we are all but shutting down. Also, never have liked hunting in muggy heat, rain and bugs. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better way to start a hunt than stepping out into the AK. bush on a cold frosty morning. Down here we are extremely lucky to ever get one of those days during moose season. It gets to be extremely frustrating year after year.....

Actually, I think the powers that be set those dates so we all wouldn't be out there killing every love struck bull around during the first couple weeks of Oct.. Too bad we still don't have the Dec. hunt like we used to many years ago. But, then again, I guess we should be happy we even have a moose season down on the Kenai. That's another thing.....if it was up to me it would have been shut down for a few years a long time ago when things really started to look bleak. I guess I can't complain though as I have killed a few bulls down here over the years. But I guess it's finally time to resign myself to the idea of hunting moose elsewhere....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am sick of all the laws and wish dueling was legal. I mean every thing else is legal between 2 consenting adults, right?

But, for a new law I would be ok with one that said any hunter that is hunting with a an "optical sight" on their rifle has to have a pair of binoculars around their neck that cost more then the scope on the rile they are using costs.

I have observed and read on these forums to many times where some one is referencing using the scope on their rifle as a glassing/spotting instrument. If that does not creep you out then your much braver then me.

If some one breaks that law then they are fined 500 bucks and have to hunt with iron sights for the next 3 years. Repeat offenders are flogged in public.

I would:
    -abolish the community moose hunt
    -double nonresident hunting fees
    -require that Alaska hunting guides must actually live in Alaska
    -require residents to pay $10 for each harvest ticket
    -limit the number of sheep that can be harvested by nonresidents annually
    -require nonresidents to hunt moose with a guide or resident relative
    -and lastly ensure that the increase in revenue from all of the above went directly and totally to studying and preserving the wild game resources of our state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'd make Alaska my own private hunting preserve and all hunting (except my own) would be based on a draw system. The BOG would be abolished, as would be the APHA. Game violations would be punishable by death (as would a lot of other violations; but that's another story for after my coronation). Guides who lived out of state would have to find another state to work in. Non-resident hunters would see license fees rising and either have to utilize a guide for all hunting or make massive donations to the royal treasury. Fishing would also come under my royal watch with similar new regulations, most notable would be a 10 year moratorium on King salmon fishing (we royals have to stick together, after all) and allowing my Navy to sink any fishing ship violating my directives.
    You have my vote and allegiance. I wish to be part of the Royal Court.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, changing the season dates would probably be one of the first things I'd do should I be King........lol. I've always hated that just when other states are getting going on their big game seasons, we are all but shutting down. Also, never have liked hunting in muggy heat, rain and bugs. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better way to start a hunt than stepping out into the AK. bush on a cold frosty morning. Down here we are extremely lucky to ever get one of those days during moose season. It gets to be extremely frustrating year after year.....

Actually, I think the powers that be set those dates so we all wouldn't be out there killing every love struck bull around during the first couple weeks of Oct.. Too bad we still don't have the Dec. hunt like we used to many years ago. But, then again, I guess we should be happy we even have a moose season down on the Kenai. That's another thing.....if it was up to me it would have been shut down for a few years a long time ago when things really started to look bleak. I guess I can't complain though as I have killed a few bulls down here over the years. But I guess it's finally time to resign myself to the idea of hunting moose elsewhere....
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could choose to hunt in a later season. November or December. Cooler weather. No bugs. You don't have to butcher the same day you harvest.

For every wolf shot by a hunter, he gets an 'any moose' tag for the year. For every hunter who takes a brown bear, he gets an 'any moose' tag for the year. For every hunter who takes two black bear in a 3 year period gets an 'any moose' tag for the following year.
    I would think we'd be moose ahead with that rule.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I would:
    -and lastly ensure that the increase in revenue from all of the above went directly and totally to studying and preserving the wild game resources of our state.
    Absolutely, Pretty much the exact list I would have come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    For every wolf shot by a hunter, he gets an 'any moose' tag for the year. For every hunter who takes a brown bear, he gets an 'any moose' tag for the year. For every hunter who takes two black bear in a 3 year period gets an 'any moose' tag for the following year.
    I would think we'd be moose ahead with that rule.
    Good idea. I like that. Creates a good incentive for predator control.

How about when you turn in a poacher, you get to keep his pickup, gun, airplane, boat, and the meat, cape and antlers/horns.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could choose to hunt in a later season. November or December. Cooler weather. No bugs. You don't have to butcher the same day you harvest.
    Wanted to let you know that I tried to send you a pm but your box is full.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wanted to let you know that I tried to send you a pm but your box is full.......
    Not any more, it isn't. PM away.

Kick the feds out of Alaska, take all that land and make it actual public land ran by Alaskan's for Alaskans!!!
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I would:
    Not sure about the sheep item, but remove the resident relative loophole and you have a good list.

Pochers should have a min of 10yrs. without hunting privleges in the state, including guides. This one year crap has got to stop. the rest will sort itself out if we get rid of the culls.

Non residents restricted to a 10% allocation to our sheep, not the free for all were seeing now of upwards of 45% going to NS. go back to a guide use area would be at the top of the list....#3 break the guide monopoly on Kodiak, guides should not be given tags for there area, it really should go to a full draw for everyone to participate.....change the resident requirement to match the PFD,
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast