Thread: DB254 Uganik Lake/Kodiak Island

Default DB254 Uganik Lake/Kodiak Island

A buddy and I drew DB254 for this spring at Uganik Lake on Kodiak. Iíve got things lined up for our 2 week hunt. We plan on having a raft and motor to utilize on the lake along with good gear, optics etc.
    Weíll be flying in with Seahawk Air and plan on tenting on the northwest corner of the lake. Itís supposed to be a decent area to camp. Iíve looked at Google Earth and studied some topo maps in preparation for our hunt.
    Just wondering if anyone else has done a brown bear hunt there, and if they have any tips/advice specific to this area? Post here or pm me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    A buddy and I drew DB254 for this spring at Uganik Lake on Kodiak. Iíve got things lined up for our 2 week hunt. We plan on having a raft and motor to utilize on the lake along with good gear, optics etc.
    Weíll be flying in with Seahawk Air and plan on tenting on the northwest corner of the lake. Itís supposed to be a decent area to camp. Iíve looked at Google Earth and studied some topo maps in preparation for our hunt.
    Just wondering if anyone else has done a brown bear hunt there, and if they have any tips/advice specific to this area? Post here or pm me. Thanks.
    Although I haven't done that hunt, I really think you should use the spear. Hey the injuns used to do it, and I'm sure you're pretty good with that thing too...!!!

Seriously though, congrats on the tag and have a great hunt. I haven't forgot your invite for coffee a long time ago to explain your avatar. Maybe someday we can make that happen....

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although I haven't done that hunt, I really think you should use the spear. Hey the injuns used to do it, and I'm sure you're pretty good with that thing too...!!!

Seriously though, congrats on the tag and have a great hunt. I haven't forgot your invite for coffee a long time ago to explain your avatar. Maybe someday we can make that happen....

Good Luck...!!!
    The spear will stay home this trip. Gonna use a dearly departed friend's .375 that was gifted to me, for this hunt. He was the one who taught me a lot about hunting and primitive weapons.

The spear will stay home this trip. Gonna use a dearly departed friend's .375 that was gifted to me, for this hunt. He was the one who taught me a lot about hunting and primitive weapons.
    So you don't wanna try the long bow with homemade arrows either...???

Probably be a good idea to contact Dick or Sam at Rohrer bear camp. Last I knew they had the refuge permit for this area. Good people.

Good area for bears. I setnetted in the 80's just over the mountain in Uganik passage. Every Spring we'd have to clean up the cabin as a bear or two would break inside and make a mess of things. They'd even chew up bars of soap. A local guide told me they were eating stuff to "pop their plug" from hibernation.

Anyway, I saw a couple really nice bears in the area including a huge boar right at the top of the mountain. Not sure who was shook up more, the bear or me and my crewman as we met head on at about 25 yards in some thick brush. But we all departed in a hurry in separate directions. I'll always remember the sound of the alders popping as they broke when that bear took off. We got out in the open and were conversing about how cool it had been to see a big bear that close and walk away from it in one piece. (we were packing as we were deer hunting) Then my friend says..... "Rick, I can't make my legs quit shaking". I looked over and sure enough his legs were trembling big time. I couldn't persuade him to go back down the way we came up, so we followed the open ridge down to East Point and my buddy Toby's site and he gave us a ride home in his skiff.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Good area for bears. I setnetted in the 80's just over the mountain in Uganik passage. Every Spring we'd have to clean up the cabin as a bear or two would break inside and make a mess of things. They'd even chew up bars of soap. A local guide told me they were eating stuff to "pop their plug" from hibernation.

Anyway, I saw a couple really nice bears in the area including a huge boar right at the top of the mountain. Not sure who was shook up more, the bear or me and my crewman as we met head on at about 25 yards in some thick brush. But we all departed in a hurry in separate directions. I'll always remember the sound of the alders popping as they broke when that bear took off. We got out in the open and were conversing about how cool it had been to see a big bear that close and walk away from it in one piece. (we were packing as we were deer hunting) Then my friend says..... "Rick, I can't make my legs quit shaking". I looked over and sure enough his legs were trembling big time. I couldn't persuade him to go back down the way we came up, so we followed the open ridge down to East Point and my buddy Toby's site and he gave us a ride home in his skiff.
    I was guiding down cold Bay and had an experience. Afterwards the hunter said "I WOULD'NT TAKE A MILLION DOLLARS FOR THAT EXPERIENCE, ADDING BUT I WOULD'NT GIVE YOU A PLUG NICKLE FOR ANOTHER LIKE IT "

I used to work at the Uganik cannery,(long time ago, in 69 and 70), there were lots of bears in the area all the time, I even had to use a broom and hit one to get it out of the kitchen food locker one time. Went hiking around the area a lot, many nice trails, onetime a friend asked who was out here making all these trails so big. I just laughed and said keep your eyes open, they might come by and show us who is boss.

I haven't been around Uganik island for about 15 yrs now. the last time I was there, I thought there was an over abundance of bears and snow shoe hare.. I was working for a transporter at the time, and wishing I'd have brought my 22 colt buntline revolver to thin out some of those hareÖ I'll save the bear tales for another time.

Good Luck...!!!
    Us "injuns" were forced to hunt bear with spear after you "pale faces" kill all the Tatonka
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Us "injuns" were forced to hunt bear with spear after you "pale faces" kill all the Tatonka
    Da*n palefaces anyway...!!!.....lol.

Actually, when I typed that I was thinking more along the lines of right of passage for young braves. You've probably read about when the tribe felt it was time for braves to become men they would send three of them out to an active bear den. Two of the braves would sneak up to the den, stick their spears in the ground crisscrossing them in front of the opening essentially blocking it from escape. Then the last brave would sit in front of the den and strategically place the base of his spear against something firm on the ground like a rock or a tree, and angle the tip of the spear towards the den. When they were ready, they would all start shouting at the bear to try and wake it and get it all riled up. The two braves would try and stay out of sight while bracing their spears against the opening as the bear would try and hit them to escape. The third brave would make himself visible at the opening so the bear would focus it's attention on him while getting more and more riled up. When it was just the right time when they felt the bear had finally had enough and was ready to break through the crisscrossed spears, the two braves would let loose of the spears and the bear would lunge at the brave in front. As the bear charged towards the brave he would just lift the tip of the spear up and the bear would impale itself using it's own momentum.

I don't know if I got the story exactly right, but that was what I was thinking about when I mentioned him using his spear. I have to wonder how many times it didn't work out quite right for those young braves...???

Da*n palefaces anyway...!!!.....lol.

Actually, when I typed that I was thinking more along the lines of right of passage for young braves. You've probably read about when the tribe felt it was time for braves to become men they would send three of them out to an active bear den. Two of the braves would sneak up to the den, stick their spears in the ground crisscrossing them in front of the opening essentially blocking it from escape. Then the last brave would sit in front of the den and strategically place the base of his spear against something firm on the ground like a rock or a tree, and angle the tip of the spear towards the den. When they were ready, they would all start shouting at the bear to try and wake it and get it all riled up. The two braves would try and stay out of sight while bracing their spears against the opening as the bear would try and hit them to escape. The third brave would make himself visible at the opening so the bear would focus it's attention on him while getting more and more riled up. When it was just the right time when they felt the bear had finally had enough and was ready to break through the crisscrossed spears, the two braves would let loose of the spears and the bear would lunge at the brave in front. As the bear charged towards the brave he would just lift the tip of the spear up and the bear would impale itself using it's own momentum.

I don't know if I got the story exactly right, but that was what I was thinking about when I mentioned him using his spear. I have to wonder how many times it didn't work out quite right for those young braves...???
    4merguide, This depiction of a young brave taking on a bear, hearkens from the late Sidney Huntington's book, "Shadows On The Koyukuk". He tells the story of harvesting grizzlies like this. Takes a lot of bravado and nerves of steel to be successful!
    Thanks to the others who have shared their stories and information about Uganik. Getting pumped for this hunt!

4merguide, This depiction of a young brave taking on a bear, hearkens from the late Sidney Huntington's book, "Shadows On The Koyukuk". He tells the story of harvesting grizzlies like this.
    It was quite a few years when I read the story and it might have been an excerpt from Mr. Huntington's book, as it does sound familiar...

Takes a lot of bravado and nerves of steel to be successful!
    I can't even imagine....especially for a young man...!!!