Thread: Another LACKLUSTER Kenai early run

Default Another LACKLUSTER Kenai early run

Total 2016 runsize expected to be BELOW the escapement goal http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...un_outlook.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

A forecast of 5,206 fish? Such precision is astounding. At the end of the Memorandum they acknowledge much uncertainty. In 2014 they forecast 2,200 and 5,300 returned. In 2015 they forecast 5,300 and preliminary reports are that 6,300 returned.

I am not disagreeing with your post, BUT, why do they use such precise numbers in the forecast and such rounded ones in reporting observations?

Just close the river to Chinook fishing for 5 years and then see what returns we get.

The other option is to just turn iceblue and the boy loose with bait starting May 1st ending Dec 31st and not worry about Kings anymore! In 5 years they will still say it was the ESSN's that caused the problems

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Just close the river to Chinook fishing for 5 years and then see what returns we get.
    Should have done that years ago, but it's always the same ol' same ol', with the almighty dollar still winning out....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Based on the forecast which is lower than last seasons forecast I would be surprised to not see a EO issued by ADF&G closing the Early Run Kenai River Kimg Salmon fishing before to long. That would make this what, four or five years in a row of a total closure in the Early Run? Amazing that some still say that dollar signs are driving the management in the ER.

On the bright side is that last year the king salmon fishing in the Ninilchik, Anchor, Deep Creek, and the Deep Creek marine fishery was pretty darn good. In particular the Ninilchik was terrible the previous few years and for whatever reason things turned around this past year in a big way. Hopefully King stocks around the state will including the Kenai will continue to see a upward swing in the coming year.

Default Kenai Early Run Kings CLOSED for 2016

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Based on the forecast which is lower than last seasons forecast I would be surprised to not see a EO issued by ADF&G closing the Early Run Kenai River Kimg Salmon fishing before to long.
    DONE....

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2200
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

On the bright side is that last year the king salmon fishing in the Ninilchik, Anchor, Deep Creek, and the Deep Creek marine fishery was pretty darn good. In particular the Ninilchik was terrible the previous few years and for whatever reason things turned around this past year in a big way.
    Shhhhhhhh!😏

QUOTE..."On the bright side is that last year the king salmon fishing in the Ninilchik, Anchor, Deep Creek, and the Deep Creek marine fishery was pretty darn good. In particular the Ninilchik was terrible the previous few years and for whatever reason things turned around this past year in a big way."UNQUOTE

Unfortunately there are some developing problems in Deep Crk showing up. Last yr when F and G did some test netting for Kings in Deep Crk they found approximately one out of four kings netted there were hatchery fish from Ninny R.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Based on the forecast which is lower than last seasons forecast I would be surprised to not see a EO issued by ADF&G closing the Early Run Kenai River King Salmon fishing before to long. That would make this what, four or five years in a row of a total closure in the Early Run?
    Almost...

It's actually THREE years in a row (2014/15/16) for COMPLETE closure of the ER declared PRE-SEASON. Closed thru all of May June riverwide, and closed above the Slikok sanctuary thru all of July. There were back to back IN-SEASON closure the prvious 2 years as follows:

2013 started C&R but was EO'd to closure 6/20/13 which continued thru all of July above the Slikok sanctuary

2012 was EO'd to C&R on 6/15/12 and further EO'd to closure on 6/22 which continued thru mid July above the Slikok sanctuary. On 7/19 the ENTIRE river closed to kings for LR conservation, effectively closing the harvest of any ER run fish above the Slikok sanctuary except for the FOUR days of July 15/16/17/18

2011 was EO'd to C&R (no bait) on 6/29/11 which continued thru all of July above the Slikok sanctuary.

2010 was the first roller coaster panic year for the current trend of "low productivity" for the ER. It started with an abrupt (no C&R stepdown) EO to closure on 6/5/10 because we'd never seen ER sonar numbers that low before (way worse than 2002 when we panicked about not hitting the low end BEG of 7200). However the sonar rallied with the next set of good tides and it was liberalized to C&R a week later, then liberalized 3 days later to slot-limited harvest, then finally liberalized to BAIT 4 days later. Not sure if those were real kings being counted by the old sonar (perhaps ER Russian sox?) to justify relaxing the restrictions from full closure to full-on bait in the short two weeks between June 5 and 19... who knows?

All I know is that the ER has been in a tailspin ever since.
    The KeenEye MD

It is dismal. Were you surprised? As soon as they even assume they are gonna hit a low end escapement goal they will open it up and everyone within 200 miles will drive down to try and hammer one. The trend will continue until the mindset changes or there are no more fish.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    A few years back they closed the tributaries of the copper river to King fishing due to a poor run. However, the commercial sockeye fleet out of Cordova repoted an incidental king harvest in excess of 19,000 kings.

In that case, shutting down the river fishing did little to help the resource....

Same can be said for Cook Inlet as PWS sockeye fleets, only lots more.

Quote Originally Posted by BryBag View Post
    Where did you pull this information out of?

The lack of information used by you to make a statement like that is off the hook! If you want to see a bunch of kings killed put 358 gillnetters it the mouth of the Kenai River every Mon and Thurs from 20 June to 7 Aug.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryBag View Post

Here's where the "bi-catch" ends up.... On sale now for $9.99#, all blush skins and large fillets....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skamania1 View Post
    Here's where the "bi-catch" ends up.... On sale now for $9.99#, all blush skins and large fillets....

That is sad.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamania1 View Post

Those are TARGETED kings, caught commercially in Goodnews Bay on The Kuskokwim. Says so right on the package. Where do you get this "BI-CATCH" crap??

I read the label, but since I'm a cynical SOB, I assumed the worst. If that's where the harvest takes place, then my apologies for a misleading statement. The fillets were sizable and all blush, no wonder that was shipped east (photo came from a grocery store in Erie PA). If the retail for old stock is that cheap, the fresh dock price must be abysmal- why bother?