Thread: Winter king fishing tips and tricks

Default Winter king fishing tips and tricks

OK I'm going to be lazy, I have done searches and come up with a little but I'm just going to come out and ask for tips to catch winter kings. I know I could go out and fish and learn for myself however last time I got out was about 5 years ago and only went once so if I took that experience and added it up I should be a pro in about 140 years at this rate. I don't have that much time. So I'm hoping to get some help here.
    I have done a lot of trolling out of deep Creek for the spring kings and usually just trolled hering behind a diver. My plan is much the same to catch the winter kings but I'll be using down riggers at whatever depth I'm marking fish. I keep hearing about using artificial baits with great success, what are you using? What's the best color flasher or none at all.. I'm going to head out by pogi point unless someone gives me better idea of where to go. I'm going to try and head down on Wednesday with my two girls and my dad and get the boat wet. You can pm me your secrets if you want. Don't worry I won't be competition for the derby as I'll be at work.
    Yes I am asking for your secrets and tips or whatever your willing to share..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

My wife and I spent two days with Capt Nemo this winter for the exact same reason and his training,, TOTALLY WORTH EVERY DOLLAR. He loves to talk fishing and shares everything he can think of.
    He and his deck hand work very hard all day long, constantly changing up if the spread isn't producing.
    Hi knowledge of where to fish and when to fish is something you won't get from a few tips.
    Go for a charter with him you won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    My wife and I spent two days with Capt Nemo this winter for the exact same reason and his training,, TOTALLY WORTH EVERY DOLLAR. He loves to talk fishing and shares everything he can think of.
    He and his deck hand work very hard all day long, constantly changing up if the spread isn't producing.
    Hi knowledge of where to fish and when to fish is something you won't get from a few tips.
    Go for a charter with him you won't regret it!
    I sent him a pm a few days back and haven't herd back from him yet. I'm sure he's busy.
    What's the name of his outfit? I wanted to go shark fishing with him too

Brooks Alaskan Adventures, 226-2233

I've had a blast trolling out of Homer this winter. PM on he way

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Why PM? Why not share?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJack View Post
    Why PM? Why not share?
    The secrecy makes it sound like I have a clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bkbaker.

My experience is pretty limited but I will say that traditionally I am 100% a bait guy. But for these kings, I have definitely had days where the artificial's outfitted the bait. I think a lot of the strikes are reactionary than say carefully inspecting the bait. I think the artificial's can be better in those situations. Here's a video of a few underwater strikes of the feeder kings in Homer. Water is a tad murky but you can see they just fly into the picture and strike for the most part. Trolling herring in the video:

My go to artificial lately has ben the silver horde coho killer:

Hoochies on a short leader behind a flasher that "kicks" vs spins works well. When sand lances are the prevalent bait, I like the narrow body hoochies:

I've caught a few on flies as well. A few on hand tied flies like:

I guess as long as you have something in the water, You have a chance. If you can find the fish, they tend to be fairly aggressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

The secrecy makes it sound like I have a clue

😎 We're all clueless on this boat.

This is what I have been using for the last 6 months here in southeast. Picked up one yesterday and today with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    OK I'm going to be lazy, ......
    I can't say I blame ya....lol. In the 30+ years I've been here I have caught exactly 2 kings in the salt. One was actually trolling for them, and one was by accident fishing for halibut in about 20' of water. Both were many, many years ago. It was always my intention to get after those monster late season kings when we had them, like my friends did, but for some reason never managed to make that happen. Their stories of the 65-80 pound kings back then were awe inspiring. But apparently not enough to get my arse out there.

I too try and read and take notes of all the info I find on here iff'n I ever find the time to go...

Good luck and let me know if you ever have an empty seat and we can learn together. I'll even play hooky from work if need be.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ok so far this stupid red flasher has been the difference almost every day. Never used red until I fished out of Homer.

My second 20# king out of Homer this winter. Again on red.

Always use red to catch the Kings.

Looking like snotty weather forecast for Wednesday

Ok so far this stupid red flasher has been the difference almost every day. Never used red until I fished out of Homer.

My second 20# king out of Homer this winter. Again on red.

I like Chartreuse too but my go to flasher the past year has been red...
    IMG_2222.JPG

including today. I guess 12 pounds....

20160215_120408.jpg

Looks long Rudy!! Bet it would be 5#'s more in 40days

Looks long Rudy!! Bet it would be 5#'s more in 40days

It was a little skinny for its length. Stomach was full but it was two small pollock about 6 inches long. No herring or sand lances. Hmmmm......