Thread: Ads-b diy

Default Ads-b diy

Well I was bored last week, no real snow and now I'm straight skis, so I decided to order all the parts needed to build my very own DIY ADS-B receiver.
    I've seen... several articles and a YouTube video or two on the subject, and figured what the heck I can give it a try. So off to Amazon to order the parts. It was less than $120.00 for everything minus the battery power pack. I've got USB power on my panel already so no need for the power pack.
    A week later all the parts arrive in the mail and it was just like Christmas again for this 47 year old kid. And like the kid I am, all the parts came out of the packages for examination.
    After a little more digging on the web, I found a few links to download an image to be written to the SD card. This SD card is what holds the code(program) for the little micro computer (Raspberry Pi 2) to run on and makes the ADS-B work. The code is called STRATUX, kind of a play on the Stratus ADS-B unit.
    After downloading the image and writing it to the SD card, I plugged the SD card into the raspberry, put it in the nice clear case, plugged in the USB SDR (Software Defined Radio) radio and the little wi-fi adapter, competing the Build.
    Powered the unit up and checked for function with my iPad mini. Sure enough it set up a Wi-Fi network called STRATUX just like the website said it would. The STRATUX supports many of the popular iPad based GPS moving maps, I'm using FlyQ and it is supported. So today I packed fuel in cans, tugged and pushed and cussed until 170JL was lined up on some snow and ice that leads to the "Ski Strip" Once I was in the air, I wasn't even past 500 AGL when a whole slew of bogies showed up on the iPad screen. I was about 25 miles E,N,E of ENA and saw more traffic than I thought was in the entire state! Now I'm big on having a great radio and transponder in every plane I fly and I listen to both primary and a secondary radio freq when flying, and I thought I had a pretty good handle on traffic around me, boy was I wrong.
    I started flying with my iPad mini about 6 months ago along with my Garmin GPS. I tried the Garmin pilot app, the fore flight and now I'm using the FlyQ and like it. Now that I have this ADSB tool I'm hooked on my iPad mini. It won't take the place of my Panel mount GPS but it sure adds a lot of situational awareness for $120.
    So if anyone is bored and looking for a quick project, look up the STRATUX ADSB. It's a great little device and offers a lot of functionality. Give it a try! just visit this link to get started http://stratux.me/

Log...

Great report LP. I've got ADS-B receive through my flight program. Works pretty well. So how does a guy build the Transceiver to send the ADS-B info and receive the other data?
    ARR

I'm going to bump this one up. this sounds like a fun project. does the unit only receive traffic info? can it transmit? I fly a non-electric (no transponder), and I'm more interested in transmitting my position.

Quote Originally Posted by redmammoth View Post
    I'm going to bump this one up. this sounds like a fun project. does the unit only receive traffic info? can it transmit? I fly a non-electric (no transponder), and I'm more interested in transmitting my position.
    No, for ADS-B out you currently have to go with panel mount.

I built one as well, and it works as advertised. One thing on ADSB out. From what I have heard, the Feds are very closely monitoring ADSB signals right now and its a pretty major fine to be transmitting on non approved equipment. So for now, In is all you get with DIY.