Thread: Rafting the Kenai....

Default Rafting the Kenai....

I don't have a four stroke on my boat and am really not in a position to plunk down around 8k on a new motor....too many other projects. So I had the thought of buying a somewhat small(er) raft and throwing my 4 horse Yami kicker on it to try and get at least a little bit away from the crowds during red season. Do you think a 4 horse will push along a small raft upstream with a couple/three average/smaller sized adults in it? Do you think it would push it up around say Bings, or maybe up too Bings from around Swift Water or so?

I was pretty surprised at how well it pushed my 18' boat on a calm lake with 4-5 people, but that's a whole different dynamic.

Just kicking around the notion....

Thanks.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I ran 3.5 Kickers a ton and one 4 hps kicker on Cats and with weight IMO your barking up the wrong tree. However that being said I ran bailers so sucking water all the time. Down stream was bad enough up stream I would I would think I could write a movie script "mission impossible" considering the flow of water you would be dealing with. Nothing says fun like weight in a raft. Again just an onion.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I ran 3.5 Kickers a ton and one 4 hps kicker on Cats and with weight IMO your barking up the wrong tree.
    What kind of weight are you talking about here?

Granted it's all dependent on the boat, the river, the load, and the motor. A 4 hp kicker is great on my 18' cat on flat water, but it sucks bad at trying to go against any current with a ripple. If you had the boat already I'd say give it a try, but if you need to buy the boat I'd expect you're going to be pretty frustrated. You might try to rent or borrow one for an outing to test it out.

the weight you had mentioned couple three average or smaller adults. Just guessing but I would say smaller / average person lets say 120-160 lbs.

Smaller boat mostly puts you between 12-14ft anything smaller and you could fit them in but whew no room for anything but crossing and 12ft is pushing so lets split the difference. So let us go high end on the weight 160x3 - 480 lbs just in people. Figure gear i.e. waders, snacks, clothes and cooler with ice and water for giggles split the weight 15 lbs per person so an additional 45 lbs giving you an approx total of 500 plus lbs.

Smaller boat 13ft NRS Non Bailing Otter 80 lbs boat it would be better to motor. You will need a frame, oars to motor so an additional 60 lbs, plus 4 HPS kicker with gas 60 lbs depending on if it is a self contained motor which I will make the assumption it will be so lighter then a tank of gas on the floor and motor.

Boat capacity again just for S's and G's 800 Lbs again a wag nothing defined. 80, 60, 60, and 500 ish comes out to 700 lbs on a boat that is rated to 800 lbs capacity i.e. almost the total amount of weight rated for the boat.

Basically means you "maxed" out for weight on a 13ft Raft Non Bailer, Make it a bailing raft and you can really see the potential for issues going up river. If a boat has a 6 inch self bailing floor based on max weight rating and you already have 4 5 inches of water in the bottom of the boat when you get that bad boy going up stream you are going to fill it with water on a lake let alone a current and water volume of the Kenai.

Again Opinion no facts just wages and opinion.

Kind Regards

RMM

Yes, I probably should have elaborated more. I know a little bit about weight in a raft and didn't have any intention of loading one up for an all day outing. This would be mostly like grabbing my daughter, a day pack with some light tackle, and a bottle of water, for maybe a couple hours after work. So was really thinking about keeping it as light as possible. I'm a small guy 160-70 and she's pretty petite too. So basically no weight other than ourselves. But I still really don't know of it's doable. Could a 4 horse push a small drift boat up the Kenai?

Very unlikely, and absolutely no on most sections. With a motor that small you are looking at two vehicles or pay for a shuttle. That motor will get you across the lake or help you go downriver a little faster but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, I probably should have elaborated more. I know a little bit about weight in a raft and didn't have any intention of loading one up for an all day outing. This would be mostly like grabbing my daughter, a day pack with some light tackle, and a bottle of water, for maybe a couple hours after work. So was really thinking about keeping it as light as possible. I'm a small guy 160-70 and she's pretty petite too. So basically no weight other than ourselves. But I still really don't know of it's doable. Could a 4 horse push a small drift boat up the Kenai?
    What kind of boat do you have?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    What kind of boat do you have?

-Mike
    My boat is an 18' Valco Bayrunner, but like I said, I don't have a 4 stroke on it...... well, except for the 4 horse kicker.

Look into a kaboat. They are relatively cheap (as far as new rafts go) and are pushed well by small motors. I'm still breaking mine in, but I am liking its versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk