Thread: neck length issue

Default neck length issue

So I purchased some once fired 350 mag brass but when I went to reload I did not check the neck length and some about 15% would not hamber enough to close the bolt smoothly. After checking everything the length of used brass is 1.75 and factory new is 1.54 book says I can go to 1.70 so do you think this is the cause of the bolt issue. I haven't experienced this before. Remington model 7

350 Rem Mag? SAAMI spec is 2.170-0.020, (you said "1.70", but perhaps that was a typo?). If you're in excess of 2.170 you may get into dangerous territory pressure wise.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If you're in excess of 2.170 you may get into dangerous territory pressure wise.
    Amen to that!

Got in the same boat one time with brand new Winchester factory brass. Even though the bolt would close easily, the first shot made the chronograph nuts with a velocity nearly 400 fps higher than that near-max load usually produced. I could barely open the bolt, and the primer fell out in my hand when I extracted the case. I was right on the ragged edge of something really nasty happening. Turns out those cases right from Winchester were .018" over max length, squeezing down on the bullet and not wanting to let go when the round was fired.

Here's a treat for you: Imagine me and the things I was saying as I pulled bullets and dumped powder from the other 199 cases so I could trim and chamfer them like a good boy would have done before loading them in the first place!

Well it could be short throated rifle chamber and bullets are hitting the lands.....or if your necks are too long they could be crimping into the bullet when you close the bolt. Neither is a good situation pressure wise, but a sharpie or lighter soot on an empty case should tell you where the brass is hitting the chamber. Same for the bullet, load a dummy round and sharpie the bullet and see if it's jammed into the lands at your OAL.

Well looks like I have some trimming to do. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the clarification and I was 2.70 I really appreciate the SAAMI link

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    Well looks like I have some trimming to do. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the clarification and I was 2.70 I really appreciate the SAAMI link
    Knock 'em back to 2.150.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Probably not a case length problem. Maybe need to adjust sizing die.

The trim length is usually about .010 less than case length, and the chamber length, MAYBE .010 more than case length.

If you seat a flat base bullet back'ards in an empty case and chamber it you can obtain the actual chamber length.

2.170 should not be a problem, as it is the case length, unless you go some bad info or a bad gun.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't like trimming cases with short necks much further than needed and the 350Rem has a short neck. I would probably trim to .005 or at most .010 under max case length. It will require trimming more frequently but longer necks are better until they are too long..

Ok so some more cofusion went out and bought 20 new nosler brass and loaded them up 1 round is sticky all the others a super slick loading never sized the brass everything the same any ideas

Ok so some more cofusion went out and bought 20 new nosler brass and loaded them up 1 round is sticky all the others a super slick loading never sized the brass everything the same any ideas
    Have you measured them? Just because they're new deosn't guarentee they're perfectly within spec.
    #Resist

Like IO says.

Even new brass should be sized and the length checked/trimmed. IME, new brass is short, and will lengthen after fire forming, but I don't assume that is always the case.

Case length should be checked AFTER sizing. Otherwise, it's kinda meaningless. Sizing will change it.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Have you measured them? Just because they're new deosn't guarentee they're perfectly within spec.
    Yes I measured them and they are all exact same size , I cant image that I am getting a bulge or anything with the bullet seating, never had tjis issue before.

Yes I measured them and they are all exact same size , I cant image that I am getting a bulge or anything with the bullet seating, never had tjis issue before.
    Are you seating right at the hairy edge of ogive contact with the lands?
    #Resist

I'll go out on a limb and guess at what your problem is. Your bullet seating die is not adjusted correctly. It is not backed up enough after touching the shell holder at the top of the stroke. What this does is when you seat the bullet to your correct OAL, it is bulging the case body below the shoulder. That causes the round to chamber hard or not be able to close the bolt on it. Been there, scratched my head and was told what the problem was by someone who was there before me.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and guess at what your problem is. Your bullet seating die is not adjusted correctly. It is not backed up enough after touching the shell holder at the top of the stroke. What this does is when you seat the bullet to your correct OAL, it is bulging the case body below the shoulder. That causes the round to chamber hard or not be able to close the bolt on it. Been there, scratched my head and was told what the problem was by someone who was there before me.
    Done that too! Buckled a couple cases before I figured it out.
    #Resist

Well that is the next thing to check appreciate all the info I sure have been puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    If you are meaning what I think you mean, clearance for the crimp shoulder, that is a distinct possibility.

AND, the most common mistake of the beginning hand loader.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Done that too! Buckled a couple cases before I figured it out.
    Only TWO? I once corrected a batch of 150.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Only TWO?
    Yup. I was a little slow.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Only TWO? I once corrected a batch of 150.

SOTN

I had 100 rounds of 223 with 40 gr NBT's that that wouldn't chamber. I removed the expander button from my sizing die and ran each one carefully back thru the die to try to push the bulge back in. There were about 20 or so that still wouldnt chamber, but eventually I realized that they will chamber (with effort) in another one of my 223's so I shot them up in that rifle. Didnt have to dissassembly any of them, but learned my lesson....