Thread: kodiak fishing

Default kodiak fishing

I am 16 years old and am moving from POW to Kodiak and am wondering where are some good salmo/trout lakes or rivers? Are there any close to town or would those be too crowded? Where are some good saltwater locations for halibut also? Any help is greatly appreciated, send me a PM if you want.
    hunter

Default Lucky Boy...

Get ready to fish your socks off! Everything you could posibly wish for is right there. Kodiak offers up easy roadside fishing and superior offshore charter opportunity. Spots close to town receive periodical fishing pressure, but overall it is relatively uncrowded. I rate Kodiak as one of the finest destinations for both the budget-minded and the pampered angler.

Kodiak Fishing at any Angle is featured in this site's bookstore. It runs 226 pages and is in full color. You might want to consider it as a primer to where you are about to move. There's even a free chapter for you to read once you browse your way to the site location.

Kodiak has more amenities than POW due to its size; it is the 7th largest city in AK. Yet all the charm still remains of a small town communtity.

Lock and load, young man.
    You are about to arrive at one fantastic place if you love the outdoors...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Plenty of options on the roadsystem. The reds start hitting the Buskin, 4 miles from town, the end of May and the Pasagshak Mid June to the end of July. All the rivers are absolutly packed with pinks from mid July to the end of August. The silvers run mid August to the first part of October. Salt water, halibut are plentiful, big and available a short run from town. Kings are available year round (hit and miss in the winter though), Silvers in the salt from July to Sept. And then there's the hunting....
    You'll love it here, expecially since you're already used to 300 days of rain a year.
    A few kings, after work, this past Wednesday night.

Subsistence gillnetting

And subsistence tanners

ahhhh fishing on kodiak, you can't fish to many other places and enjoy it after you've fished kodiak buskin river for dollies above the bridge, hit it right and you'll have a hit every drift, small water, light rod, nice people and even the occasional steelie and bear. fly out and you'll start to cry when you have to go home....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Lucky you!

My wife is from there-but will not move back despite my requests! I have even caught rockfish near the cliffs from shore-love the place. As a kid with strong legs and a bike you could fish rivers, or even in town silvers with herring from shore/mill bay is excellent.

I was in Kodiak for 2 weeks for work and had absolutely no time to fish because of work but i'll be back for another week starting the ninth for finish work and should have more time to fish anybody know of any good spots to hit up I was told the buskin was a good shot but everybody keeps telling me about a bridge but as i couted there was seven bridges. Any spots for some reds or trout would be excellent.

At the state park, where the Buskin weir is, there is an old closed bridge that many park at. From there you walk a few hundred yards upstream and there is a big hole that is popular (no secret). If you park at the ocean and hike up about 1/2 mile there is also an old bridge, now only piers, that is also a popular hole. There are several good places, and plenty of room.

For Dollies, anywhere there are salmon! They become thick about mid-July feeding on eggs. My favorite places are the olds and American River, but all the creeks are full of them.