Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help finding a wood stove

Default I need help finding a wood stove

Hey Guys,

I need help finding a good quality wood stove at a reasonable cost. Preferably I would like to buy a used Blaze King or something of similar quality with a long burn time. But I don't want to buy a brand new one for $3,000-$4,000. I am on a really tight budget right now, and I can't afford to buy a brand new one. I looked on Craigslist and Alaska's list and there is scant pickings right now for wood stoves. I found one guy who is somewhat reasonable, but he is all the way down by Seward, which is a 4-hour drive from my house. I might have to drive all the way down there to just take a look at it, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. If you hear of any deals or anybody closer to Big Lake, Willow, Wasilla, Palmer, Eagle River, or Anchorage with one for sale please let me know. Thanks. I really appreciate it guys.

Just check Craigs List a couple of times per day one will come up soon. Also post under the wanted of C/L .

If you would like me to take a look at the one down here in Seward for you let me know.

Someone posted a while back (maybe it was Big Bend) about how you should have cash on hand for when you see a BK Princess show up on CL or AL. be prepared to check it out immediately and buy it then and there. I know they show up occasionally and sometimes at great prices. There's probably even an app that will alert you when a listing with the right keywords comes up.

Alaska's List is a good place to look:
    http://alaskaslist.com/

Just type "wood stove" into the search box. I see a Princess in Sutton fot $1400. The ad says it is in like new condition.

Now I see that the OP had mentioned Alaska's list in the first post. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post

Just type "wood stove" into the search box. I see a Princess in Sutton fot $1400. The ad says it is in like new condition.
    Thanks for that recommendation Meanderthal. I actually tried to call this person awhile ago and I thought they already sold it, but I am going to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post

Just called her. She sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    If you would like me to take a look at the one down here in Seward for you let me know.
    Hey thanks for the offer logman49. I am sending you a pm with the information.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Hey Logman, I tried to send you another pm, but your mailbox is full. Thanks a lot for the offer of help. You could be possibly saving me a trip down there if the stove is not worth the time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey Logman, I tried to send you another pm, but your mailbox is full. Thanks a lot for the offer of help. You could be possibly saving me a trip down there if the stove is not worth the time. Thanks.
    Cleaned out my PM box. Took a look at the stove for you. sent PM.

Bushwhack,There is a wood stove on Craigs List under Appliances I think it was in Anch.

What size place are you wanting to heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    What size place are you wanting to heat?

16 x 20. Got any suggestions?

Default I need help finding a wood stove

My cabin is 20x32 full two story and I put in a Pacific Energy True North. It is only a 2cubic foot firebox but works great for us and it was only $900. It has excellent air control. If it's below zero we do have to feed it often but if it's like 10 or warmer out we run it turned all the way down. I feel it would work great in your place I feel and be plenty of heat for when you first get there to warm it up.

Is that Log or stick. If it is log I would think that it would take more to heat at first but would hold heat better after it was completely warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    My cabin is 20x32 full two story and I put in a Pacific Energy True North. It is only a 2cubic foot firebox but works great for us and it was only $900. It has excellent air control. If it's below zero we do have to feed it often but if it's like 10 or warmer out we run it turned all the way down. I feel it would work great in your place I feel and be plenty of heat for when you first get there to warm it up.

What's the burn time like? I want something that's going to last all night long and not just be left with some coals. I've been there and done that and it's a real pain in the you know what. Plus I want my wife to enjoy herself out there and I don't want the cabin to get cold in the morning. I want the cabin to stay warm all night and have a fire burning when I wake up.

Sounds like a big burn box, and maybe catalytic at that. I know the Blaze King Princess is a good candidate. I wonder if any other lines fit the bill too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    What's the burn time like? I want something that's going to last all night long and not just be left with some coals. I've been there and done that and it's a real pain in the you know what. Plus I want my wife to enjoy herself out there and I don't want the cabin to get cold in the morning. I want the cabin to stay warm all night and have a fire burning when I wake up.
    I have only had it in for this winter and I have to fill it once a night if I have it shut all the way down, I have only burned dry/dead spruce so far though as I have no seasoned birch yet. In your place it would make it all night if you fill it and shut it down. One thing I do like is that it loads North-South and it holds 18" lengths. After my cabin is warmed up I have to leave the stove shut down when the temps outside are 10 or higher or it will cook us out. I am very happy with how well it works for being a small/medium size stove. I just couldn't see spending the 3-4K on a stove in a cabin that we only use on weekends. If I lived there I would probably go with a blaze king as they are sweet but the sweetness isn't cheap! I feel your place is fairly small for a blaze King.

Osburn makes a great stove also, and they have many size options. Maybe check into them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast