Thread: Rem 700 Sticky Feed Ramp or Spring?

Default Rem 700 Sticky Feed Ramp or Spring?

I'm cleaning up a vintage project Remington 700 S/A and the one remaining issue is wonky cartridge feeding. It's a .22-250, and each cartridge had to be fiddled with to get them to align properly for pickup by the bolt when it is cycled. Generally the first round will feed fine (better than 50%) but the 2nd and 3rd round have to be depressed to pop back up properly into the proper feeding attitude. Lots of times the bolt will just pass-over the top of the subsequent cartridges. Before I try a new spring and polish the cartridge feed guide, any other thoughts?

Anyone ever experience this and what's the solution?

85.1% probable fatigued spring. 14.9% probable wrong magazine follower.

Thanks. The magazine follower is "most likely" the original one and appears to be in good shape. I may try polishing the ant-tilt legs on the side. But the vintage (circa 1981) makes the magazine spring suspect, especially if it was loaded and left stored for long periods in it's former life.

There should be no need to polish anything. All the feed issues in a 700 are typically in the spring, follower and magazine box. Get a new, for sure correct magazine spring, don't "stretch" or bend it, and that'll usually cure the tilt issues.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Interestingly enough, Remington Parts has the springs and followers cheaper than Brownells. I wanted to make sure I got the right ones, so I ordered direct from Remington. There's a guy online selling "super heavy" magazine springs (http://www.repackbox.com/remington_700_feeding_fix.asp) anybody have any experience with his replacement springs?

Since I have a new spring on order, I followed the multitude of web instructionals on bending the spring to get the rear of the follower to stay higher and help feed properly. Worked like a charm. She feeds all shells (dummy loads) just fine without any assistance. I'll still replace the spring with the new one, but this works for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Since I have a new spring on order, I followed the multitude of web instructionals on bending the spring to get the rear of the follower to stay higher and help feed properly. Worked like a charm. She feeds all shells (dummy loads) just fine without any assistance. I'll still replace the spring with the new one, but this works for now.
    Yup but only for now. Springs are suppose to flex and not bend. My experience with magazine springs is that once they bend they loose that ability to flex and and each time they flex they bend a bit and it won't be long until your back where you were. I never met Mr gunbugs but in all the years that I have been reading his advice I have come to learn that he knows what he is talking about. When it comes to busted shootin sticks there ain't none better!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yup but only for now. Springs are suppose to flex and not bend. My experience with magazine springs is that once they bend they loose that ability to flex and and each time they flex they bend a bit and it won't be long until your back where you were. I never met Mr gunbugs but in all the years that I have been reading his advice I have come to learn that he knows what he is talking about. When it comes to busted shootin sticks there ain't none better!
    Yes, and I've noticed, he shares his vast knowledge where it is practical to do so, too.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have one question, is this rifle a blind magazine? I ask as I have a Remington 700 ADL/SPS .300WM that has been a horrible feeder. I bought the gun in May 2012 and when I shot it with a full magazine (3 in mag, 1 in chamber) is would never feed properly. I called Remington and explained the issue to them, they sent me a new magazine box, and spring/follower. I installed all the new parts and the same issue was still present. So I was told by a co-worker to polish the lips in the magazine box, along with the feed ramp, and so I did. This made about a 25% difference in feeding, but still did not fix the issue. After doing much internet research on the issue, I have come to the conclusion, that it will only hold 2 in the magazine and 1 in chamber for a proper feed. Looking at the Remington website, it states that the BDL with floor plate will hold the same amount as the ADL with a blind magazine. While this is true (trust me it will, but won't feed correctly), the difference in the amount of space available from the BDL to ADL is enough to cause the ADL rifle to bind and not feed properly. This has been an issue stated on several internet forums, and after reading several of those posts along with my own research, I now only put two in the magazine instead of three. Since doing this, I have never had an issue feeding the rifle from the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    I have one question, is this rifle a blind magazine?
    No, mine was a BDL-model with hinged floorplate.

Did you try the new spring yet? If so how is it working now?