Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the heck is the 22LR shortage going to end?

Default When the heck is the 22LR shortage going to end?

Went to the 22 range at Rabbit Creek the other day and had so much fun I burned through 3 boxes (150 rounds). That used to be no big deal but these days... Thankfully, the last time I saw a box of 22 in the store, there were (amazingly) three 500 round bricks available. I bought one. Haven't seen any since.

What are folks seeing? Hard to believe it is still so scarce.

I see the cheap crap here and there but pass on it, but it has to be 4-5 years now that I have seen any CCI Velocitors on the shelf. Beginning to wonder if I will ever see any again.

Honestly, I doubt it will be anytime soon. The ATK factories (CCI, and Federal mostly) are running 24/7 already, with more production gear coming online here in a few months. They already increased production 20% for each of the last several years as well, so I'd say they are near 140-160% production when compared to 2008. Back then they were cranking out something like 7 BILLION rounds of .22 a year.

Demand is just outstripping production by leaps and bounds. Kills me to say it, but I've completely gotten away from owning a .22 at this point. Can't find the ammo reliably enough up here to bother.

Still hit and mostly miss here. Sportsman's WH opened a new store and flooded the market for a short time. I haven't seen any there for the last several visits. The Wife was in Fred Meyers the other day and picked up 3 boxes (the max.) of CCI. She noticed someone checking out with some in their basket and asked about them. Just a fluke of timing as they were sold out right after she found the right dept. and put the 3 boxes in her cart. $8.99 per 100. Otherwise it's all misses when we've been looking for 22.

The "cheap crap" is what I like. I passed on some high velocity stuff that was $49 for a brick. Most of the time standard velocity shoots more accurately.

Not any better in the midwest...unless you want to pay 10 box a box for Match Target stuff. I bought a 22 caliber pellet rifle and am not looking back.

I still have 8 bricks of 22lr but I have 6 grandsons and they all have at least one 22. So I don't feel like I have all that I need...or they need.

Here in ky, dare I say lest it jinx's me, 22s are fairly east to find. 50 a brick in either single boxes or occasional bricks. The local gunstore has 22 about 1/4 or 1/3 of the time. And the academy sports that opened last year always has some. Sometimes is 2.50 a box for federals, or 5.00 a box for aguila. Even came across a remington bucket of bullets for 79.00.

Never was a shortage at my house. I picked up my stash a loooooonnnng time ago. I recently bought a carton of 500 for my 5mm Magnum Remington for not a whole lot more than people were paying for .22 lr.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I see the cheap crap here and there but pass on it, but it has to be 4-5 years now that I have seen any CCI Velocitors on the shelf. Beginning to wonder if I will ever see any again.
    Like many things, I think Alaska may be just be behind the rest of the country. I was down in Seattle last week and stopped by my favorite hunting/fishing store. Just for laughs I went back to the ammo counter and was floored that they had full shelves of 22lr. All the big brands and plenty of it. I asked the guy behind the counter and he said the shortage drama ended in the area quite some time ago. I asked what the purchase limit was and he said there was no limit. I left with two bricks of CCI standard and one brick of CCI Velocitor. That will keep my daughter busy with her paper targets for a while.

Scott

I've been traveling this winter, and I've seen the same thing. NO shortage anywhere I've checked, and no limits.

I haven't looked in a couple of months.
    But when I was looking I did find some ~once a month or so. That's checking sportsmans,fred meyer etc. maybe once or twice a week when I was in the area or in the store for other stuff.
    Granted it is more expensive and you don't usually get to choose brands. Usually just a stack of bricks on the shelf of one brand or another.
    I know our local sportsmans has been putting out what they do get in at random times on random days.
    That way the same guys don't keep getting all of it on Monday mornings.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Where would you find .22 magnum bullets? Didn't see any in a few years already

In my area, people are hoarding them. They buy up every round they can find and rarely shoot them. One guy at my club claims to have over 50,000 rounds of 22LR.

I keep trying to hoard them, but for some reason the stash keeps going down instead of up... might be caused by my shooting them a lot. And the kids. Definitely the kids' fault.

Couple months ago there was a local store, maybe wally world, that had 1400 round bucket o bullets. But they sold out.

As I recall, Northern Security on Old Seward in Las Anchorage has .22LR pretty much all the time, but they like to get a pretty penny out of it.

A place in Fairbanks has them pretty much all the time- but the price is simply more than I'm willing to spend. I haven't seen any "premium" .22LR in a long while. $45-50 a brick for Thunderbolt, Wildcat or similar is just not a good value proposition to me.

I love hunting with Velocitors and I'm slowly going through them. I've been a heavy user of CBs and Shorts for pest control...those are practically only a memory I've been out so long.

The good news is that I've discovered the suppressed .22 air rifle and become a much more avid shotgunner over the last few years- enough so that I rarely even hunt with the .22 anymore. The air gun handles all the pest control and the odd suburban grouse pretty readily and upland game with the scattergun is just plain fun.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I remember the "Old Days" when a pack of us 12-15 year olds would march into the local hardware store, prop our .22's up against the couinter, and plunk down our hard earne bark peeling money. $5.00 for a brick of 500 Remington Hi Velocity. When we headed into the big city, we could walk out of the Coast to Coast store with a carton on sale at $3.75.
    Picked up and redeemed a lot of pop bottles in those days. Chopped wood. Split shakes. Shot a lot of ammo through the old man's Winchester model 62 pump. Many times 2 cartoons a weekend. 1000 rounds of fun. Brother and cousins would be shooting similar amounts. Must have sounded like there was a rimfire war going on out there on those old logging roads.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I think the topic we can't mention could easily keep 22lr scarce for some time to come. And all the folks that used to go buy a few boxes of 22lr on the way to hunting or the gravel pit can't so they buy as much as they can whenever they see it until they have a comfortable stash on hand. Most folks still haven't gotten to their personal comfort zone in their stash. And the topic we can"t mention could easily change for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    And the topic we can"t mention...
    You mean paranoid, racist people? Or being at the end of the distribution chain here in AK?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I keep trying to hoard them, but for some reason the stash keeps going down instead of up... might be caused by my shooting them a lot. And the kids. Definitely the kids' fault.

Couple months ago there was a local store, maybe wally world, that had 1400 round bucket o bullets. But they sold out.

As I recall, Northern Security on Old Seward in Las Anchorage has .22LR pretty much all the time, but they like to get a pretty penny out of it.
    Yup, one of the last bricks I bought there was some Federal Gold Medal Target. Spendy, but my Rem 40XB likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    A place in Fairbanks has them pretty much all the time- but the price is simply more than I'm willing to spend. I haven't seen any "premium" .22LR in a long while. $45-50 a brick for Thunderbolt, Wildcat or similar is just not a good value proposition to me.

I love hunting with Velocitors and I'm slowly going through them. I've been a heavy user of CBs and Shorts for pest control...those are practically only a memory I've been out so long.

The good news is that I've discovered the suppressed .22 air rifle and become a much more avid shotgunner over the last few years- enough so that I rarely even hunt with the .22 anymore. The air gun handles all the pest control and the odd suburban grouse pretty readily and upland game with the scattergun is just plain fun.
    I loved shooting those CB hollow points. Super quiet back yard pest control. I have found that Sportsman's in Anchorage lately has some Aguilla versions of the CBs. Don't seem to be as accurate and very dirty, but they're on the shelf.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast