Thread: Seward Winter Activities

Default Seward Winter Activities

Hey Everybody,

I'm heading down (from Anchorage) to Seward for the weekend with the girlfriend and I'm not so sure about the conditions down there. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to go for some outdoor fun. I've done a lot of the hikes down there in the summer but not much in the winter. We have nordic and skate skis, snowshoes, and ice skates.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of going up Lost Lake because I am pretty sure snow machines are prohibited this year, at least in the beginning of the trail. But i am open to any suggestions on other places to hike, ice skate, or nordic/skate ski.

Thanks!

Dave

Snowmachines are currently prohibited from using the Fireman's and Primrose trails due to lack of snow down low. Lost Lake is open to snogos, however, they have to access it from the Snug Harbor side.

Oh, thank you for the clarification. I've never been out there in the winter. Do you think it'd be okay to hike/snowshoe as well? I'm not sure how congested the trail would be. I have no problem running into other people/snowmachines, but if it's very congested it's not really what i'm looking for and don't want to be unsafe and get in someone else's way/get run over.

Thanks again!

Very little snow down here unless you gain some elevation. We've had lots of rain lately and skating would entail lots of slush. You could definitely hike up the Lost Lake trail and find some great snow. If all else fails, at 12ish mile on the hwy there is a closed course ski trail and plenty of snow, you could get some exercise.