Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: My new Martin Miller table!

  1. #1
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default My new Martin Miller table!

    So as I had posted several months ago I had done some beach gold mining with my gold prospectors club here on the Peninsula last summer.
    I had a container of concentrates that needed processing but lacked the time(due to work) and equipment to finish processing it.
    This gold is very fine much of it is sub 400 mesh.
    The best way to process this stuff is with a shaker table.
    But those start at $1,200 for the cheapest ones and that wasn't in the budget for this project.
    So for Christmas I ended up with a set of 4" classifiers and a Martin Miller table.
    And I finally got a day on Friday to play with it a bit.
    I will say the process is slow but it does save the fine gold.
    I decided to start with my sub 100 mesh and only had time to run that size one time.
    I need to rerun it as I did loose some over the the end but it was captured in the catch tub underneath. Part of that was my fault as I am still getting used to how this thing works.
    For $250 it does work well as a cleanup device and the classifiers do make it that much easier to process.
    it definitely takes some getting used to as you have to use the included brush to disturb the material so the black sands will work off the table.
    I really did like the hole with the mounted gold vial underneath. Made it easy to just sweep the gold into the vial.
    here's a few pics of the miller table working.




    And some of the results!

    I have no idea of the weight or value of this gold.
    It was just a fun family activity on the beach with my kid and my friends from the club.
    As you can see it did a good job of getting this gold really clean with virtually no black sands in it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  2. #2
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Wow......now isn't that a sweet little unit for ya..., Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  3. #3
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    That's really neat. I keep thinking of dabbling in the gold search thing but figure I already got too many things going on.
    Keep posting your gold stuff. I know I enjoy it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    So this is just water running over a green rubber mat?

  5. #5
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Basically yes.
    The mat is similar to those mats they sell for cutting fabric or craft paper on.
    It doesn't work with all gold. It has to be flat gold.
    But this beach gold is very flat and works well in this device.
    I used my gold cube on the beach to amass the concentrates I am working with now.
    It's interesting to watch when you tap the black sands with the brush and they lift up and work their way off the mat but the gold just sticks there.
    Occasionally a piece of gold will get flipped and fall further down the mat.
    If you see that then you just sweep it back to the top.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  6. #6
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    That's really neat. I keep thinking of dabbling in the gold search thing but figure I already got too many things going on.
    Keep posting your gold stuff. I know I enjoy it.
    I hear you I have way too many hobbies as it is myself.
    It might be fun sometime to get some forum members together to go gold mining somewhere.
    Learn to pan etc.
    It is nice in that it is one of those hobbies that is what you make of it.
    You can start with less than $30 in gear and actually find some gold.
    Then if you desire step it up from there maybe buy a sluice box for ~$100 new (cheaper used) and move some more material.
    But unlike some hobbies you do not need to spend thousands to get started or ever really.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  7. #7

    Default

    We would love to come down for a weekend and give the KP a try. We are still contemplating a GPAA membership, is this the club you belong to? Give us a shout if you head out again.. Thanks

  8. #8
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
    We would love to come down for a weekend and give the KP a try. We are still contemplating a GPAA membership, is this the club you belong to? Give us a shout if you head out again.. Thanks
    Yes it is the Kenai chapter of the GPAA.
    We have meetings the first Thursday of every month at the Kenai legion hall at 6:30pm .
    You need not be a member to attend.
    Bring some cash if you want to buy some raffle tickets for some gold or some mining gear.
    Otherwise it's free to attend.
    We have claims all over that our members can use for free and keep all they find.
    It's also a family membership so one fee covers the whole family.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes it is the Kenai chapter of the GPAA.
    We have meetings the first Thursday of every month at the Kenai legion hall at 6:30pm .
    You need not be a member to attend.
    Bring some cash if you want to buy some raffle tickets for some gold or some mining gear.
    Otherwise it's free to attend.
    We have claims all over that our members can use for free and keep all they find.
    It's also a family membership so one fee covers the whole family.
    Thank you.. We will be down once it warms up a bit..

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Basically yes.
    The mat is similar to those mats they sell for cutting fabric or craft paper on.
    It doesn't work with all gold. It has to be flat gold.
    But this beach gold is very flat and works well in this device.
    I used my gold cube on the beach to amass the concentrates I am working with now.
    It's interesting to watch when you tap the black sands with the brush and they lift up and work their way off the mat but the gold just sticks there.
    Occasionally a piece of gold will get flipped and fall further down the mat.
    If you see that then you just sweep it back to the top.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I got the same thing you got going on but in a different place. I found that a gold cube lost alot of fine gold that got caught by my gold hog mats. The one thing that helped my gold cube was the 1/4 raised expanded metal (aluminum from an old satellite dish) I put over the lowest tray.
    The fourth tray with expanded caught more than the third tray, but not as much as the second tray. The down side is that it also caught a little more other heavies too.

    i was curious if you like the miller table more than a blue bowl for processing your cons?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes it is the Kenai chapter of the GPAA.
    We have meetings the first Thursday of every month at the Kenai legion hall at 6:30pm .
    You need not be a member to attend.
    Bring some cash if you want to buy some raffle tickets for some gold or some mining gear.
    Otherwise it's free to attend.
    We have claims all over that our members can use for free and keep all they find.
    It's also a family membership so one fee covers the whole family.
    Is this still going on? I'd like to check it out next week.

  12. #12
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logjam View Post
    I got the same thing you got going on but in a different place. I found that a gold cube lost alot of fine gold that got caught by my gold hog mats. The one thing that helped my gold cube was the 1/4 raised expanded metal (aluminum from an old satellite dish) I put over the lowest tray.
    The fourth tray with expanded caught more than the third tray, but not as much as the second tray. The down side is that it also caught a little more other heavies too.

    i was curious if you like the miller table more than a blue bowl for processing your cons?
    To be honest I have never tried the blue bowl.
    I watched several Youtube videos on them and they seem more finicky. Must be 100% level and water level must be exactly right etc.
    I really want a shaker table but they start at $1,200 for the smallest one and I'm not sure that one is still on the market.
    I know my mining supply dealer has said he can't get that one anymore.
    The Miller table although slow works well and the price is reasonable.


    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #13
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Is this still going on? I'd like to check it out next week.
    Yes we are a very active club.
    Though with winter upon us there won't be any more outings until spring.
    We always have our monthly meetings.
    I'm going to miss this one but should make the December meeting.
    Tell them Chris sent you and buy some raffle tickets.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    To be honest I have never tried the blue bowl.
    I watched several Youtube videos on them and they seem more finicky. Must be 100% level and water level must be exactly right etc.
    I really want a shaker table but they start at $1,200 for the smallest one and I'm not sure that one is still on the market.
    I know my mining supply dealer has said he can't get that one anymore.
    The Miller table although slow works well and the price is reasonable.





    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't drop $1200 without testing to make sure The table catches what your miller table will.
    my blue bowl has an auto feeder on it so even though it is slow you can load it up and let it run gently. .the dregs run through a poop chute so I don't lose too much.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes we are a very active club.
    Though with winter upon us there won't be any more outings until spring.
    We always have our monthly meetings.
    I'm going to miss this one but should make the December meeting.
    Tell them Chris sent you and buy some raffle tickets.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

    I got held up at work and forgot about the meeting, I'll put it on the calendar for Dec and hopefully see you then

  16. #16
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    To be honest I have never tried the blue bowl.
    I watched several Youtube videos on them and they seem more finicky. Must be 100% level and water level must be exactly right etc.
    I really want a shaker table but they start at $1,200 for the smallest one and I'm not sure that one is still on the market.
    I know my mining supply dealer has said he can't get that one anymore.
    The Miller table although slow works well and the price is reasonable.


    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    If I might ask, how much gold ended up being right there? I know looks can be deceiving I'm sure.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  17. #17
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If I might ask, how much gold ended up being right there? I know looks can be deceiving I'm sure.....
    Sorry wish I had the answer for you but, to be honest I don't recall.
    I stuck it in a vial with some other gold I had been collecting.
    You are welcome to join me sometime to find some of your own though.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  18. #18
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sorry wish I had the answer for you but, to be honest I don't recall.
    I stuck it in a vial with some other gold I had been collecting.
    You are welcome to join me sometime to find some of your own though.

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I was sitting here thinking that it might be something fun to do when, or if, I ever retire......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  19. #19
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Thanks! I was sitting here thinking that it might be something fun to do when, or if, I ever retire......lol.
    It's a fun hobby that can be done fairly inexpensively by starting small.
    Probably $25 will get you started.
    Then if you enjoy it and have a little extra cash you can buy more or bigger equipment etc.
    Pack a pan on your hunting excursions cause you never know where you will find it!


    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  20. #20
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Pack a pan on your hunting excursions cause you never know where you will find it!
    That's funny you say that as I've often wished I'd had a pan where I've gone hunting here on the peninsula. Is it true that it's usually a good sign there's gold where you find a lot of black dirt, or is that just an old wives tale?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •