Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Please Watch Out For Gillnets

Default Please Please Watch Out For Gillnets

With the boating season in full swing please watch out of drift gillnets in the Culross, Coghill, Ester and Main Bay areas. When in these areas if you see fishing boats(bowpickers) please please SLOW DOWN and look for the corklines floating on top of the water or better yet just swing way offshore of the boats. I had my gillnet hit the other evening by a boater(hit it dead center at full speed), stopped him dead in the water and did extensive damage to my net and cost me 36 lost hours of fishing time out of a 48 hour fishing period. I reported it to the Coast Guard & Troopers and was told that the boater is responsible(as in dollars) for all damages to the net and for all lost income from lost fishing time.

PLEASE ! PLEASE ! STAY CLEAR OF THE GILLNETS there is lots & lots of room in the Sound for all of us.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default What to look for?????

PB

I went over to Main Bay on Friday (after the opening) hoping there might be some reds for the taking. Didn't see a thing. This was my first time there and wasn't sure about everything I was seeing. There were bouys all over the place. Can you give us a rundown on the different reasons those bouys are there and what to watch out for both during the openings and when commercial fishing is not open.

I would like know more about using that area without causing any kind of trouble, either for me, or, anyone else.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Most of the bouys you'll see close to the shore are from set nets, they have lines running in to the beach from them even when no gillnets are attached to them. Stay offshore of them or you will foul your prop with the running line or gillnet if its attached. If you see any bowpickers(gillnet boats) just slow way down and look for the red or orange bouy ball on the end of the net and also look for the white corks(corkline) that are floating on the surface between the boat and the ball. The nets will not always be straight away from the boats, we tow large hooks in the nets to trap the fish in them so the net be in a half moon shape. You best bet is to go slow and keep your eyes open. In the main bay area the drift gillnetters are only allowed to fish from the beach to 1 mile offshore so if your just traveling thru the area just swing wide to a good mile off the beach and it should be all clear. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by potbuilder; 07-01-2007 at 16:52. Reason: spelling

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the info Im going to main bay and I dont want to mess up any net when someone is just trying to make a living

Default Thanks

Thanks PB and yes it does help.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Also............

If you find yourself in Main Bay during the opener and find yourself surounded by nets or can't find a passage through SHUT DOWN AND WAIT! Don't run over the nets! It would be most appricated by our commercial friends as they are also trying to feed their families.
    Last edited by AKBassking; 07-05-2007 at 16:26. Reason: Adding

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I reported it to the Coast Guard & Troopers and was told that the boater is responsible(as in dollars)... ...for all lost income from lost fishing time.
    I'd appreciate a link to that regulation. Or perhaps if you know if that's a Federal reg, or a State reg.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'd appreciate a link to that regulation. Or perhaps if you know if that's a Federal reg, or a State reg.Thanks!
    Look at: http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boating/accident.htm

Also look at the Alaska State Requirements: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/folioisa.dll/stattx04/query=%5Bjump!3A!27as0520120!27%5D/doc/%7B@553%7D?
    Last edited by AKBassking; 07-06-2007 at 15:38. Reason: Adding

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Thanks for those links, they are full of good info for all boaters. However, I must have missed the reg stating a boater is responsible for lost fishing time and that income.

I'm sure it's possible in this day and age, that a law suit may result in such a penalty, but I don't see a specific reg in the links provided.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    If you find yourself in Main Bay during the opener and find yourself surounded by nets or can't find a passage through SHUT DOWN AND WAIT! Don't run over the nets! It would be most appricated by our commercial friends as they are also trying to feed their families.
    Thats a good thing to do, just shut down the engine and drift. If you drift up against a corkline use a landing net or paddle/oar to push down on the corkline and divert it under and around your outdrive or outboard prop & skeg. If you have a jet don't start it up if you are on a corkline because most likely you will suck the net up into the jet and then its really a big problem. The best thing to do is just shut down and drift.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Thats a good thing to do, just shut down the engine and drift. If you drift up against a corkline use a landing net or paddle/oar to push down on the corkline and divert it under and around your outdrive or outboard prop & skeg. If you have a jet don't start it up if you are on a corkline because most likely you will suck the net up into the jet and then its really a big problem. The best thing to do is just shut down and drift.
    Nice to have met you last night pot builder! Keep us posted on your pot pullers and pots!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Boater's responsibilities

There is no specific regulation (that I could find...) that addresses recreational boaters running over nets; rather, it falls under a general maritime (Admiralty) law of boater's responsibilities. Essentially, you are responsible for your actions. If you run over a net and damage it, you are liable. I've already notified the Auxiliary to assist with boater education in regards to commercial fishing nets, especially in the Valdez Narrows as well as other areas around the state. It is an increasingly common problem without a simple solution. Education and communications are the most obvious routes, but without mandatory education, we're all at the mercy of the individual boaters inclination (or not) to self-educate. I'm impressed with most people who post on this forum; you seem to be in the upper 20% of conscientious boaters....now, if I could only get you to help teach some classes..... Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    .....I've already notified the Auxiliary to assist with boater education in regards to commercial fishing nets, especially in the Valdez Narrows as well as other areas around the state.... Mike
    While you are at it maybe you could get someone to teach the seiners in the Narrows the definition of "the stand on" vessel. If they are not actively fishing, they do not automatically have "stand on" rights. The "big boat/little boat" mentality they seem to use is going to get someone killed one of these days.

If the seiners are not displaying the proper dayshape (two triangles, pointed together) or running lights (red over white) they are not in compliance with the COLREGS. This probably also applies to gillnetters. If they're not required to fly the shapes or lights, then they don't have a priority.

No dayshape, no lights, no right of way. Of course most of them never take the dayshape out of their rigging. Perhaps the CG should look out for vessels flying incorrect signals while in transit.

I have nothing against commercial fisherman, I've even tried it for a couple years. Too much work.

BTW, I'm all for a boater replacing damaged gear. I'm just not convinced there's an actual LAW which says they WILL be responsible for lost time fishing. That seems like more an area for the courts.

Default Room for improvement

This kind of reminds me how easy it is to point fingers at "the other guy"....and, how seldom people seem to say, "I think I could improve my skills a bit...". I bet 90% of the drivers on the road think they are "good" drivers (that would be the same 90% the rest of us see as bad drivers, wouldn't it?). I, for one, have seen really poor seamanship from both commercial and recreational boaters. And, if I were to be (more) honest with myself, I've made some bonehead moves on the water (including almost running over a net in the Valdez Narrows....because I didn't slow down and just about didn't see it in time). Here's my point: (because we all get to make our own on an internet forum, right?) I think I can be a better boater if I learn a little more and pay better attention. And, I think other boaters could probably do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Mike View Post
    I think I can be a better boater if I learn a little more and pay better attention. And, I think other boaters could probably do the same.
    We can all improve, that's a fact. I believe if the majority of us treat the commercial with respect and dignity most will return it. Besides they are in "their" office!

The only commercial fishermen I have an issue with are those who believe that we should only buy our fish from them and not be allowed to subsist ourselves.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I'm not so sure I would go so far as to say "thier" office, that might lead a few to think they owned it and its contents and therefore explain your other thinking. IMO it and its contents belong to us all there fore it should be managed, shared and used responsibly by all that partake. To this day I don't have anything against anyone out there except those shrimping thieves but that's a different subject.

A took one of them classes and learned more than I expected and I could probably benefit from another but it would have to be in the valley this time and not run into the summer.......hint, hint.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I'm not so sure I would go so far as to say "thier" office, that might lead a few to think they owned it and its contents and therefore explain your other thinking. IMO it and its contents belong to us all there fore it should be managed, shared and used responsibly by all that partake. To this day I don't have anything against anyone out there except those shrimping thieves but that's a different subject.

Well, to that point I would have to agree.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I forgot to pull my shrimp pots in Main Bay before an opener last week. I got back in afternoonish and they were nowhere to be found. Next day they are sitting nicley stacked and coiled on the mooring buoys. Glad to have em back.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagger View Post
    I forgot to pull my shrimp pots in Main Bay before an opener last week. I got back in afternoonish and they were nowhere to be found. Next day they are sitting nicley stacked and coiled on the mooring buoys. Glad to have em back.

When I went in there last Sunday, I noticed they were pulling pots. At least they are honest about it. Lessoned learned I guess.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast