Thread: Anyone for a game of hoops?

Default Anyone for a game of hoops?

Look who showed up at our basketball hoop tonight. Make your guess as to what kind of owl it is. I'll tell what kind it is after everyone guesses.

I think that you have a Sweet Owl at your game.

Looks like a little Saw-Whet. Can't make out his/her beak very well...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Looks like a little Saw-Whet. Can't make out his/her beak very well...
    Good guess Taiga. About the same size as a Northern Saw-Whet Owl. The facial disc is darker than a Saw-Whet's though. Sorry, hard to tell from the pictures. But you are close. The beak was just kinda grey and blends in with the rest of his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Good guess Taiga. About the same size as a Northern Saw-Whet Owl. The facial disc is darker than a Saw-Whet's though. Sorry, hard to tell from the pictures. But you are close. The beak was just kinda grey and blends in with the rest of his body.
    Well, that beak description would make it a Boreal then. Tough to tell by the fuzzy pic and lack of something for good scale... Plumage can vary quite a bit in both, and a dark Saw-Whet's facial disk can be much darker than a lighter phase Boreal's. I'm not good enough to ever definitively tell one from the other based on plumage alone.

It's always cool to see either one tho!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Well, that beak description would make it a Boreal then.
    Yep, you got it.